View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
That makes no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
If your transcript says you are a junior, you are a junior. It doesn't matter how many years you've been in school. Class standing is by hours. Someone in school 4 years with junior hours is still a junior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
I think this would vary by school. At UCLA (admittedly, 10 years ago), it was incredibly common for students to have a full year's worth of AP credits going into school, but it rarely actually sped up your progress to a degree. We defaulted to using first year, second year, and so on as the indication for what "year in school" you are. A common expression was "I'm a first year with sophomore standing", and people rarely just said freshman or sophomore.
Seconding LAblonde. At one of the schools I work with, class standing is synonymous with year. If it's your second year, you are a sophomore, regardless of how many credits you have or how many years you have left. Some privileges are reserved for juniors and seniors. If it's your second year, even if you took AP courses, are on-track to graduate in three years, and are a junior by credits, you don't get access to these privileges.