View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you aoiwen for your perspective as a student at the University of Virginia as well as a member of the Greek community there. As you can see from my moniker, I am an ooooold alumna, but with an entire head full of silver hair now and have been around the block more than a few times!

I doubt that anyone is insensitive to the inherent injustice of having a penalty fall upon an entire group because of the actions of a few. But I have a challenge for yours as well as all Greek Letter Organizations on your campus. Why not use this time for one of reflection to come up with ways all the very fine and talented members of your community can work together to enhance personal safety, especially that of women, on your campus? How can you make your social occasions lawful and safe? How can you sorority women reach out to vulnerable and inexperienced first year women who don't as yet have the comfort of a sisterhood? Yes, I know about the "No Contact" rule prior to recruitment, but surely your panhellenic can come up with some creative programs. How can your fraternity men
clearly communicate to the campus at large that there is nothing manly about sexually assaulting a woman?

I have every confidence that those of you who are Greeks at UVA can exert leadership on your campus and do your part to not only address the problems of the past, and very importantly, set a new agenda.

Chi Omega