View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Bigs and Littles

Hey Everyone,
I need help!!! Our chapter was reinstated in 2002. Last year (my pledge year) was the first year that we had a real Big Sis/ Little Sis thing. This year, our VP Membership (who, I should add, has lots and lots of control problems. One rushee even told me she was uncertain about us because VP Membership seemed pretty "nazi" - her own word). Anyway, last year, they chose Littles. This year, VP Membership paired us up without discussing it.
I'm hurt and sad because I had picked out my Little. I tend to get overly enthusiastic about things (SAI tradition being one of them) and I thought I could give this girl just the boost she needed. I know that just because she won't be my "Little" doesn't mean I can't encourage her and have a connection with her, but I thought that the Big/Little Sis bond was really special. I know that the other girl I am paired with will be fabulous also, but I know that we don't have as much in common and I think a close bond would be pretty forced between us.
I e-mailed VP Membership to let her know that I didn't understand why we were doing it this way and that I had some concerns. I asked her is we could talk about it at our meeting tomorrow. However, most of what I have to go on is pretty idealistic stuff. Can anyone speak from experience about paired Big/Little versus picked Big/Little? I'd like to be able to talk about real experiences, even if they are internet ones.
Thanks for your help!!!
-Gwen
Gamma Eta