View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizababe1 View Post
At the risk of sounding dense, what are good clubs to make friends? I've tried various organizations already but I don't really know how to get involved. I'm not at all popular and already an upperclassman so I worry I come across as the weird person when I show up somewhere new. Am I just panicking?
I agree with the others that you would greatly benefit from counseling. I say that in the kindest way. Truly.

Look again at what you asked. You asked, "what are good clubs to make friends?" Your perspective is off. It's not about what location you can go to in order to make friends. You should be able to make friends in any location/club. The school's poetry society doesn't have more "potential friends available" than the chess club. Does that make sense? You find like minded people by going out there, doing the activities you enjoy, and engaging with people. Instead of saying "how can I learn better skills for making friends?" (which would be an internal reflection) you are asking "where can I go to find some friends?" (responsibility is placed with an external factor). That's like saying, "There's nothing wrong with me! I just haven't joined the right club yet! Once I join the right club, everything will be ok and the friends will come flooding in!" You are not reflecting on YOUR own responsibility to make internal adjustment in this situation. You keep thinking that joining the right kind of club will fix what's wrong inside your heart and mind. AZTheta nailed it when she expressed this to you earlier this year.

So, I do think you would benefit from counseling. A counselor would be able to help you with your diagnosed mental health issues, but also with helping you change some of your perceptions.

True and Constant