View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggforever View Post
Everyone is assuming these “darling, smart women” are being released because they are a legacy to another house. There are many reasons for releasing women. Sometimes they are just not high enough on a list. There also may be issues that the rec writer is not aware of when she is writing a glowing recommendation. It could be behavioral concerns or her attitude in the other houses. If a chapter really likes a legacy and feels they have a chance, they will not drop her. If she has an attitude, good luck, no matter how awesome she thinks she is. Yes, RFM makes it a lot more difficult to risk keeping a legacy sometimes they are worth the risk.
Bingo. It's the whole "we liked you, but we liked others better." Not that the legacy wasn't fabulous, but just not as good a fit/liked as much as other girls. There are so many legacies rushing these days that even big chapters could fill a pledge class of 100+ girls with legacies alone. I think any PNM needs to understand that when they're cut - legacy or not - that it's not personal, that it's that members found other girls to be a better fit and other girls had more actives in the house rooting for them. Sometimes a seemingly outgoing, great girl can either go "quiet" in a house (perhaps intimidated by it being their legacy house) or talk non-stop and turn everyone off. It happens.

The most important thing that I think legacies should understand is to know that legacy no longer means an automatic bid - that they're just as much in competition with other girls as a non-legacy with the exception of getting back to a 2nd party automatically. Attitude definitely can get a legacy released if they come through with a sense of entitlement. My chapter would have easily released such a legacy except that her sister was in the house.

I don't know which SEC school your daughter is attending, but I know that at Ole Miss, even chapter legacies are being released after the 2nd round - just so many legacies there and so many girls in general. Variable quota has intensified this so even more chapter and non-chapter legacies have been cut.

I wish your daughter well! Please keep us posted!

Last edited by NYCMS; 01-31-2018 at 06:11 PM.