Thread: Define Hazing
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 04:03 PM

You have to consider "acting in spirit of the rule" here.

Think of it like we do silence periods and PNM interactions and recruitment.

Most schools are focused more on following the "spirit of the rule" rather than the exact letter.

You can have normal interactions with Patty if she says hi to you. You should not be talking to Patty about recruitment but if you see Patty in the cafeteria you can speak to her. That's the spirit of the rule.

When we get focused on the exact letter of the rule is when we get into the "oohhhhh my god I'm snitching because I saw a Kappa wave hi to Patty in the Union."

Same with hazing. We can't go so far left that we just do nothing for the NMs in any sort of individually celebratory manner for fear of every exact letter of the law. But at same time, one person being even remotely uncomfortable with something is not necessarily hazing (ex: Becky may be uncomfortable with a required NM exam, does not make it hazing.)

I also think that in keeping with the spirit of most hazing policies, active collegians are not dumb. They KNOW when something is out of step with policy. It is not as nitpicky as you think.

Lakers Nation.