View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Some of these girls clearly had mental problems and the last thing untrained girls need to do is give similar people encouragement. The PNMs would see it as a sign that they were surely going to get bids and might begin to come over to the houses even more.

I knew a girl who rushed a few years back and she definitely had problems. No one bid her and she went ballistic. The president of the college she attended begged a group under quota to take her and after a few days, they gave in. My daughter and I, who had both no-recced the girl because of what we'd seen her do, later met someone from that chapter. She told us that the girl had physically attacked members and gone on screaming binges and generally put the chapter through hell before being forced to depledge.

Mentoring is great but is best done under the auspices of organizations who can supervise it.These people discussed here certainly need some kind of professional help before they join a GLO and possibly tear it to shreds.

It sounds all cozy and warm to think of helping others but in this day and age, we all need to protect ourselves. There are other ways to be leaders and impact lives positively that don't put our organizations at risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAM<3 Always View Post
I think it would represent the organization in a better light if someone didn't tell her to "go away" like a few others here suggested. I know this is an old post and the people involved have graduated, but maybe for other organizations and active members who have this problem it would be better if someone would start inviting her to go to the library for study hours or see if they have classes with the girl. It would improve her grades if she had a study buddy probably and from the sound of it she has friends in the organization so she can't be that terrible of a person. I think explaining that only initiated sisters can wear letters would also be appropriate, but I don't think it needs to be confrontational. I think it's a huge part of the Greek system that members mentor non-Greeks. It gives both people involved a chance to foster a friendship and it certainly won't look bad for the organization if a non-Greek sees us as leaders or inspiration in their own life.

Just my two cents....