View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Here are a few questions to think about...

If Greeks were strongly held to underage drinking laws and restrictions (such as armbands, 3rd party checking IDs, etc.), would membership decrease?

(Let's assume that the rules would apply to any recognized organization or group of individuals on campus, and not just members of fraternities and sororities. Obviously, Greeks are more visible as social organizations on campus, so more people would be aware of such events.)

I'm wondering about both the "blow out" parties that fraternities might typically throw, as well as private mixers between two organizations.

Do you think tighter regulations might affect fraternity membership more than sorority membership?
I find this interesting because every year on my campus the Greek community starts the year with a pretty Draconian attitude towards alcohol, which starts slipping halfway through the semester then disappears completely in the spring before May finals when it no longer matters because no one is drinking and partying anyway. So every time a campus tries this sort of action I think about the fall on my campus every year...and how the drinking simply moves to apartments for pre-gaming before going to the bar or a fraternity party. (Then again, all of the sororities have halls and only two fraternities have houses so generally speaking there are only two organizations on campus holding large events where alcohol might be present on their own property).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This probation will accomplish nothing. Greeks will ask non-Greek friends to loan them their house for a night. Or else the football and other sports teams will go right on having the ragers I'm sure they already have (which, surprise surprise, are never targeted). Not only that, they can still have "sober mixers" which only mean you don't drink anything AT the mixer.

They're not doing anything that other schools haven't been doing for decades (and that students haven't been getting around for decades).
Exactly.

And don't get me started on how sports teams behave...without consequence (most of the time).

I believe this is the case for every sorority on my campus, but for my chapter, showing up to a mixer/official event after drinking was taboo. So I have to say, I really don't get the need to drink before or during mixers. I always had fun sober.

Fraternity parties are another story. I would want to throw myself from a balcony if I weren't drinking at one of those. I'm not good at being stone cold sober when everyone else is wasted. I just want to hurt them all.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx