View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

UCSB Sorority Recrutiment-4 Chapters on Interium Suspension affecting recruitment

The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life has shared the following information about chapters that are currently on interim suspension. The four NPC chapters listed will not be able to participate in formal recruitment which begins today. The NPC chapters are Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Phi, Kappa Alpha Theta and Pi Beta Phi. In addition, Sigma Nu fraternity is also on the list. The remaining chapters considered to be in good standing and will participate: Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Kappa Gamma. Phi Sigma Rho is the affiliate sorority which conducts its own recruitment.

https://osl.sa.ucsb.edu/fraternities...H0SLYFAfZ73Agw

Quote:
The following organizations are recognized, but the Dean of Student Life has placed them on an interim suspension status as a precaution in case allegations of behavioral misconduct prove to be true. This precaution is implemented on a case-by-case basis in order to limit further injury to community members and further liability to organization officers. Interim Suspension Status is not implemented as a punitive measure. Following the completion of an investigation, organizations will either be placed on Probation/Suspension Status (below) or returned to Recognized and In Good Standing Status (above).
The information that affects formal recruitment.

Quote:
Recognized fraternities and sororities are prohibited from engaging in organizational events (formal or informal, regardless of location) with organizations on interim suspension status.
I am the parent of a UCSB student who is not involved in Greek Life, but I am aware of this through the school's Facebook Parents' Forum. I am currently unaware of any details as to why the fraternity and the four NPC sororities were placed on interim suspension status. I feel badly for all who are affected by this decision, but it would appear that the allegations were of a nature that required this type of action and on the eve of formal recruitment. I am wondering how this will impact the number of PNMs who will choose to continue with recruitment knowing that four groups are not participating and who will receive bids.

Last edited by TLLK; 09-20-2021 at 04:07 PM.