Thread: "Woke"
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

You absolutely have a right to feel however you want or say whatever you want.

The word “woke” is positive in our culture. It’s about awakening. It’s about learning more about our culture, race, barriers, history and injustices. It’s what drives us to fight for equity and to help others to do the same.

In quite a few posts, “woke” has been used to describe sorority members who seem to want to see the equities and diversity in their organizations, except it’s a negative connotation. Additionally, some of the visual aids provided have shown people who have little to no desire to see equity for people like me in this country. That’s disappointing to me.

I come here because I enjoy learning more about my sister and brother greeks. Many of you have helped me be able to connect with students better and even some of my alumni colleagues. I’ve had some great conversations in the DM’s and compared ideas. It’s a commonality that we share. But it’s disappointing to read comments where “gangs,” are randomly mentioned, had people make comments alluding Black people being a monolithic group or where “wokeness” has been co-opted and used in a negative light. It’s simply not being used correctly and the way it was used was offensive. What’s more disappointing is why I attempt to discuss my feelings, thoughts or experiences from the perspective of a Black woman in conversations of race and diversity, I am often ignored and the conversation is instead centered in non-Black experiences or “I have a Black friend/coworker/neighbor” experiences.

Again, I can’t tell you how to feel or what to say. I can’t tell you what to do with your rituals or how to run your organizations. I try my best to give insight and perspectives in conversations because I know there are very few of us who are here or participating. And no, I don’t speak for all of us, but if I can bring clarity I certainly try.

In regards to a melting pot, it’s fine to find commonalities in people, but not when you ignore differences or histories. There are things that began in Black cultures and were adapted by other cultures, only to be used without any understanding of the histories behind it, and a prime example is the word “woke” that has been used on GC. There is nothing wrong with appreciating other cultures, but just like tik tok dances, badly researched articles, cornrows, hip hop and other music forms, many aspects of fashion, slang, NPHC Greek life and numerous other examples, it’s frustrating to see people use things without acknowledging, learning or even caring about the actual people who created it. Color blindness means not acknowledging some of the most important aspects of who I am and my history.

I don’t know any of you personally and I try my best not to judge, but I’ve certainly seen some comments that don’t always make me feel welcomed on GC.

Last edited by PersistentDST; 08-24-2020 at 12:30 AM.