View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I missed the UF thread too.

I doubt that we need to discuss why not to join a lower tier house since those thoughts are probably already present in a PNM's mind, but I think offering reasons why, despite a lack of immediate popularity boost, joining a "lower tier" group can still be worthwhile.

My first reason is that members of "lower tier" groups enjoy their Greek experience. Even though it may not wow your friends from home when they see your letters, your college experience is likely to be enriched over not joining a GLO at all.

We probably kid ourselves about the number of women who find themselves honestly deliberating, should I join the commonly viewed #1 group on campus or the bottom group, where I can make a big difference. Instead, PNMs looking at the bottom tier have limited options, and it would typically be pointless to imagine that one is going to hold out and later receive a bid from a "top" group.

You should join a lower group to be part of a sisterhood, to experience being greek, and to be part of an alumnae network for the rest of your life.

Additionally, you should be aware that at many campuses with hard work and dedication towards recruitment, lower tier groups can become middle tier groups with a couple of pledge classes. You can have the satisfaction of working hard to enrich the experience that you will offer to the young women who follow in your footsteps. It may be a lot closer to the experience of being one of our founders than many sisters at strong chapters experience.

ETA: this really just repeats what others have said well, and I apologize for that. I agree that joining a "lower tier" house is still worthwhile and want to lend my support for that. I will say that sharing personal experience in a thread called "should you join a lower tier sorority" is a little complicated because matching usernames and chapters may serve to reinforce the tent talk. I don't know how much it really helps in the long run.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 09-30-2009 at 08:01 PM.