View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Username: KappaKittyCat, because I love kitty cats
Initiated: December 3rd, 2000
Chapter: Zeta Epsilon, Lawrence University
Currently Serving: VP Standards & Marshal
Past Offices: Social, Risk Management, Scholarship, Philanthropy, Public Relations, Panhellenic, Membership, Registrar
Home Chapter Claim to Fame: I'm going to deviate here from all the other awesome things said about ZE and bring up the fact that we swept the Panhellenic awards at our Greek Women's banquet this year. Of all the chapters, ZE had the highest percentage of its membership recognized for scholastic achievements. We won the award for Best Philanthropic Event with our annual Caramel Apple Sale to benefit a local domestic abuse shelter, and we won the award for Best Sisterhood Event with our trip to visit Chi Chapter at the University of Minnesota. On top of all that, both the Panhellenic Woman of the Year and the Greek Woman of the Year for 2001-2002 are Kappas.

About Me: I was born in Southwestern Illinois, moved to Madison when I was six, and have lived here ever since. Both of my parents are teachers (though my dad is doing something else right now, but he's still a teacher, just not in a school) and that's something that I know how to do instinctively. I know I'll work from that angle through the rest of my life.
College Life: I'm a senior, scheduled to graduate in 2004 with a Bachelors of Arts in History and a Bachelors of Music in Choral/General Music Education. Aside from Kappa, which is the biggest part of my college life, I sing in the Lawrence University Concert Choir, perform with the Drama Department, and work extensively with music programs and at-risk students in the local public schools.
When I grow up I want to be... A professional Kappa! I'm going to apply to be a field representative after graduation, and if that doesn't happen then I want to move to an area with few advisors (Ah, the versatility of a teaching license-- there are jobs everywhere!) and become a CCD.

Favourite Thing About Kappa: I love the instant connection I can make with people. Kappas are warm and we care about each other. I've been "adopted" by several older sisters who I'd never have talked to, let alone met, were it not for Kappa. They've been such good mentors to me, and I don't know where I'd be without them.

Thing Kappa Needs to Work On: Enhancing the undergrad experience. I know that nationally we've lost several bids for expansion because the local panhellenics felt that Kappa's presentation focused too much on the alumnae experience and not enough on the collegiate aspect. This could be helped by increasing advisory support, making the New Member Program more varied and detailed (because we all have to sit through it every year), and encouraging chapters to get in contact and hang out with each other.

Loyally delsigmata,
Andrea