View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightnAiry View Post
Thanks for all the advice ladies. I often struggle to connect to people my own age. I don't really understand the behavior of anyone under the age of 30 haha.
I did too in college. Outside of the sorority and ROTC (which I only did for one year), I didn't have any friends, really. I was in the sorority for a year, then transferred to an urban school in the city I grew up in, and lived in my own apartment and worked while going to school. Instant adulthood. When I was washing my own dishes and cleaning my own toilet, I suddenly wondered why I was in such an it hurry to get out of the dorms lol.

I don't regret a lot of things in life, but one thing I regret is not giving myself the full opportunity to just "be" a college student. I spent two years at the state school. I cherish the memories I do have there. It's truly such a unique time in your life- one of the few times you get to just spend figuring out who you are, and how you fit into the world. You will get the opportunity to be in your 30s. (Spoiler alert: it's not that great.). You will probably be someone's mom. What you can't get back, if you don't maximize it, is this time in your life. Truly enjoy it.

If I had it to do over, I would have joined my sorority my first year of school and just stayed there the whole four years. You can crow as a person in that environment in every way- academically, emotionally, socially. Don't neglect the social. My coworker and I went to the same state school (she graduated) and just the other day we were discussing plans to go back for homecoming lol. You're there now. GO.

The one thing I did with my sorority (and it helped my very shy pledge sister as well) is that I did every activity I could with them. If I wasn't working- I was there. I talked to people I didn't know. I met their friends. I met so many people this way. That's how I found the perfect Big! Otherwise no one would have known me or my personality to match me up with someone so well.

I know it's hard when you feel more mature than others at your age, but you can and will find "your people." My chapter was smaller than your PC, and I managed. Good luck, and above all, don't forget to HAVE FUN!