View Single Post
Old 05-05-2002, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by tcsparky
A person does not have to actually be a member of a Greek organization to be able to promote Greek communication (which can occur between Greeks or between Greeks and non-Greeks).
What, exactly, is "Greek communication"? Are we talking about conversing in Greek? Are we writing exclusively in that alphabet?

I just don't get it, not to mention how to promote it - this needs to be more fully outlined.

Quote:
Most of the detractors from Greek life on any campus are non-Greeks.
But the impressions LEADING these people to be anti-greek are almost exclusively propagated by the Greek community at large - and as such, if you're promoting "greek communication" (which still hasn't been defined), then it starts and ends with Greeks. Period.

Quote:
By including non-Greeks and their opinions in Gamma Chi, we become MORE inclusive, and have a better quality of communication. Since no one is born a member of a Greek organization, all persons here were once non-Greeks. Their feelings and opinions were just as important then as they are now that they are members of a Greek org.
Since when is inclusiveness an implicitly positive thing?

I don't buy the logic here - the goal of my greek organization, if no other, is to promote becoming a better man - a gentleman, a man of honor and courage, et al. That means that my feelings and opinions (ideally) are more refined and informed as a result of the organization . . . take that for what you will.

Quote:
Gamma Chi is an EXTENSION of the goals and aims of Greekchat, not a replacement, not a clique. We have formalized our resolve, and taken it to the next level.
Look at the top of the screen - GreekChat.com, "The Fraternity and Sorority Chat Network" . . . how is Gamma Chi an extension of that? Better yet - how is your resolve formalized? I don't even get the precise goals of the organization, and I could be called a "regular" here by most.

Plus - it is definitely a 'clique', by definition. Note that this does not make it a bad thing necessarily - just don't be afraid to call a pear a pear.

Quote:
I agree that I will never list it on a professional resume. I list only my professional organizations there. There are many interests or activities that I do not list on a job application or professional resume, because that is not the place to list them.
This is a good point - although if you held important positions in a social fraternity that exhibits skills which may be applicable to the job, those are (generally) appropriate to list, to go against what someone else said earlier.

Quote:
I hope that posters will continue to evaluate what they read, and be supportive of efforts to improve communication between different Greeks orgs, and the friends they have outside of the Greek community.
I'm supportive of efforts to improve the image of Greek life, and of my Greek Letter Organization - I don't know that an online community made up primarily of Greeks is the best place to start. I applaud the effort as much as I think the concept novel, but there are problems to be sure.

I'll continue my personal efforts, and aid where I can - I encourage everyone else to do the same, rather than worrying about "new member ceremonies" and such trivialities of a new, online organization.