View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
Good explanation here. I just want to provide a little more info on a couple things.

Plus, shouldn't the local be doing the "leg work" and finding a NPC whose motto, philanthropy and values they would like to "live up to"?

There are 2 ways for a local to seek affiliation once it has been approved by the campus or the college Panhellenic. One is for the local to contact ONLY the groups they are interested in. aopirose explanation is great for what happens if they go this route.

Option 2 is for the campus to send a notice to the NPC expansion chair, who sends to all org's expansion rep, that the local wants to expand. Then the interested groups send packets in and presentations will follow. The method is determined by those on campus (the local, greek advisor, panhellenic, etc). Option 2 is usually best b/c it gives more options for the local.

I always thought the NPC if chosen to colonize and it accepts, has the option to absorb the local, pick & choose which ones they want to keep from the local and then recruit from the outside for the rest of the colony, or just do ground-up expansion. I guess I"m incorrect..

It’s not that you are incorrect but each NPC has its own Membership Selection policy dealing with locals.

Very true. The org can choose who they want to accept to make sure she will live up to the values of the org. Since they are absorbing a local in this case, it is very likely that the org will accept all or most of the current members, providing they have grades, can meet the financial aspect and are committed to the new org. They do still have the option of not accepting members, but will most likely only do so if there is a big concern. If the group of existing members is small compared to other NPCs on campus, they will usually recruit more women so they can be around total.

Some org's will allow AI for alumnae, but it really varies, probably more so than our general AI policies. If an alum base needs to be developed, the NPC may be more willing to accept AI members than normal. If there is no real need for alums (NPC already has established alum chapter), they may say the local alums need to go through the normal AI process and get no special consideration. Again, it can really vary depending on the organization. This is based on conversations with a couple different orgs that have differing views on AI.