View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I've been wrapped up in Bama Recruitment and am a little late to this thread, but I'd still like to throw in my 2 cents worth. As a mom I can understand completely every mom's concerns. How could anyone not love my child? As an advisor I know it's not as simple as that. There are all kinds of reasons why someone is cut.

The biggest thing that comes to my mind has already been discussed repeatedly and that's was she memorable, enthusiastic, outgoing, etc? I've seen many PNMs over years that felt that they were at least in their own eyes, yet in the eyes of the recruiters and compared to the other PNMs going through they weren't. At the same time there's a fine line between that and coming across as pushy, cocky, fake enthusiasm, etc. The PNMs may not even be that way in "real life", but that's how they are perceived during the artificial environment of Recruitment.

Another factor in all this might be if ISU has adopted the new NPC Release figure system. (Perhaps someone who knows could say if they have or not.) In a nutshell this requires the GLOs to focus on who they want much earlier in the process than in the past and possibly make bigger cuts. (This is our first year of it and I'm waiting to see how it works.)

But the fact remains that your daughter is going to 1 house for Pref and 1 is all it takes. Even if for some reason it doesn't work out though, it's not the end of the world. Despite the initial pain in the long run this might be a good life learning experience. No one should base their self-worth on the acceptance and approval of others.

I hope it works out for her! To mom, you're doing the best you can and that's all we can do for our kids. No matter how much we may want to, we can't always protect them.