GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sororities at UF (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=1630)

Kate623 07-16-2001 11:07 PM

Sororities at UF

What are some of the typical reputations of the sororities at the University of Florida?

------------------
~Kate~

Sue_XO 07-17-2001 12:41 AM

Kate-
Reputation vs Record

Both start with the letter "R" same as that awful word... Rumor. Most reputations are based on rumors.

Record though- that is based on fact- that is what you should be looking for in your president, your employer, your fraternal organization. Look for the facts

I want you to have the best time ever during rush but let me tell you- that is THE BEST PART about a sorority- you have all these types of people that get along and love each other = no matter what their reputation is or was. It really has to do with the heart- that will truly tell you where to go.

G8Ralphaxi 07-29-2001 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kate623:
What are some of the typical reputations of the sororities at the University of Florida?

I just graduated from UF and am still here for law school. I was really involved with my own chapter, Panhellenic, and Student Government, so I got to know people in every house.

I know people on this forum hate questions like this, but I don't see anything wrong with asking it. I knew NOTHING when I rushed, and while I don't regret the decision I made, the process would have been a lot less stressful if I'd been more prepared.

First of all, let me tell you to get recommendation letters for as many houses as you can. A number of the sororities here will drop you after a certain point if you don't have one. That being said, if they love you, they'll find a way to "create" a letter for you, but remember that you're one of a crowd (I think 1600+ rushees went through when I did) and you want to make it as easy as possible for them.

Also, Panhellenic has been telling rushees the last couple years to not worry about clothes, and just wear what makes them comfortable. DO NOT LISTEN. I promise you, appearance matters! Not in the sense that you have to be a beauty queen wearing designer clothes, but it is highly recommended that, even for the earlier casual rounds, that you take the time to present a neat appearance. When a house has to decide between two otherwise similar rushees, and one didn't iron her clothes or brush her hair, she'll be cut. That being said, still wear what makes you comfortable, just make sure that you make the best impression that you can.

Regarding the sororities' reputations, I could tell you the stupid rumors and gossip, but it's overwhelmingly not true. The vast majority of sororities at UF are very strong, usually have over 100+ to 150 sisters, have good grades, and are very involved on campus. Some houses are better at intramurals, some have more partiers, some have had more homecoming queens, but I can tell you honestly that there are women in every house here that I just love.

Just a little more advice -

1. Do not put up with dirty rushing. It isn't nearly as bad here now as it used to be, and certainly not as bad as at other schools, but don't tolerate it. This is your decision to make for your life, and no one should unduly influence that. We've had a couple cases of PX's telling girls to not join certain houses or to join their house, but it's pretty rare.

2. There are two predominately Jewish houses on campus, Delta Phi Epsilon and Alpha Epsilon Phi. Again, they are both extremely strong houses with over 150+ girls every year, but if you're not Jewish you may not be comfortable. Not to say that they are mean or discriminatory or anything. They tend to do Homecoming, socials, etc. with mainly the predominately Jewish fraternities, to the exclusion of some other houses. I actually really loved A E Phi when I rushed, even though I'm not Jewish and knowing about them. They have a lot of really fun, outgoing, friendly, down to earth girls and they were my 2nd choice.

3. I hate to say this, but seriously consider it if you are thinking about joining a house anyone describes as "weak" or "small." There are a couple houses that never seem to be able to compete with the others and are always smaller. My own house, Alpha Xi Delta, is no longer on campus due to some financial problems and a 5 year fight with Nationals over certain restrictions. It is much easier to join a thriving house than have to worry about rush, keeping your numbers up, and whether your house will be able to pay the mortgage next month. I knew about my house's situation when I joined (I dropped out of formal rush and then joined during informal rush the 2nd semester of my freshman year), and I don't regret it because I got what I was looking for, but the experience isn't for everyone.

4. NUMBER ONE PIECE OF ADVICE: Go where you are comfortable! As I said before, almost all the sororities at UF are strong and I know great girls in every single one of them. You really can't lose whereever you end up. But they do have different "personalities" and you should just pick the house where you can picture yourself hanging out with the sisters. You are in essence choosing your future best friends, so join a house where you absolutely, positively love the sisters there. Everything else will fall into place.

Whew! That was a long post. Good luck this fall.

G8Ralphaxi

UNFSigmaChi 07-29-2001 09:46 PM

Hey UF AXiD....a good friend of mine is a chapter mate of yours. Her name is Jessica Harold. If you see her tell her Kinny said whats up! Thanks