GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Who Do You Think You Are? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=112216)

Tulip86 08-28-2013 04:15 PM

Fortunately there are only two spelling options for our family name. And, though I don't have any nobility in my line (as in people who made the books by being wealthy, and/or had last names centuries ago) I do have a lot of clergy in my line and the monasteries were quite good at keeping track of who came and went so my dad was able to trace the line back all the way to when last names became obligatory under Napoleon's rule.

honeychile 08-29-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip86 (Post 2234894)
Fortunately there are only two spelling options for our family name. And, though I don't have any nobility in my line (as in people who made the books by being wealthy, and/or had last names centuries ago) I do have a lot of clergy in my line and the monasteries were quite good at keeping track of who came and went so my dad was able to trace the line back all the way to when last names became obligatory under Napoleon's rule.

You are SO lucky!

My mother used to get one newsletter for the McCullough Family - there are 28 ways to spell McCullough!! In fact, the only name in my genealogy that doesn't have more than a few spellings seems to be Hunter. :(

NinjaPoodle 08-29-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2234882)
Out of curiosity, have you subscribed to the Slave Dwelling Project page on Facebook? Terribly intriguing!

No, this is the first I'm hearing hearing of it. I will check it out! Thank you!!:)

honeychile 08-29-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle (Post 2235161)
No, this is the first I'm hearing hearing of it. I will check it out! Thank you!!:)

It's more archeology than genealogy, but oh, what wonders have been found! I may be a Pollyanna, but I like to think that this will help more people visualize the divide that once was so rampant.

NinjaPoodle 08-29-2013 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2235165)
It's more archeology than genealogy, but oh, what wonders have been found! I may be a Pollyanna, but I like to think that this will help more people visualize the divide that once was so rampant.

I appreciate anything that will help!:)

Tulip86 08-29-2013 08:41 AM

Loved the Cindy Crawford episode. How lucky is she. Not lucky in the sense that she comes from the line of a great emperor, but from the line of people who were written about.
I truly believe everyone has greatness somewhere in their heritage, unfortunately not every great person was deemed important or worthy enough to be written about in centuries past. How different would history be is all the great stories were written down!

honeychile 09-03-2013 03:41 PM

Just in case you haven't yet found it, NP, here's a link to an article on the Slave Dwelling Project: http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle...QuJ/story.html

As you can see, it's in Boston, of all places!

I completely agree with you, Tulip86. There have been thousands of people with interesting lives who nobody will ever hear of. Or the lineage has just died out. That's why I've been writing down all of the stories of some of my ancestors - I'm the end of several lines. :(

joliebelle 09-03-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip86 (Post 2235178)
Loved the Cindy Crawford episode. How lucky is she. Not lucky in the sense that she comes from the line of a great emperor, but from the line of people who were written about.
I truly believe everyone has greatness somewhere in their heritage, unfortunately not every great person was deemed important or worthy enough to be written about in centuries past. How different would history be is all the great stories were written down!

I definitely agree with this.
My fiance has been working intermittently on doing his family tree, and we're pretty sure that he's related to this man. We can't seem to find much information on his family that isn't in German or Polish :\

honeychile 09-03-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joliebelle (Post 2236394)
I definitely agree with this.
My fiance has been working intermittently on doing his family tree, and we're pretty sure that he's related to this man. We can't seem to find much information on his family that isn't in German or Polish :\

Both keep great records, if you can find someone to translate. Did I hear once that you live in or around Chicago? There's a Copernicus Center in Jefferson Park that's supposed to be a great repository for all things Polish. I'm afraid that I don't know much about it.

And be aware that old German records are in a specific, archival German script. I have no idea why they did that, but it's a challenge to try to get even a fluent speaker to read them!

Tulip86 09-12-2013 04:35 AM

Loved the Jim Parsons episode. Again, what a connection, and many well known names mentioned!

MysticCat 09-12-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip86 (Post 2238994)
Loved the Jim Parsons episode. Again, what a connection, and many well known names mentioned!

Yep. Too bad they had the Honey Boo Boo countdown clock on the screen for the entire freaking episode. Supremely annoying!

Tulip86 09-12-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2239040)
Yep. Too bad they had the Honey Boo Boo countdown clock on the screen for the entire freaking episode. Supremely annoying!

Yes!

NinjaPoodle 09-18-2013 06:08 PM

Jim Parsons episode was really nice but I'm disappointed the season is over so fast.

NinjaPoodle 12-10-2013 02:01 PM

Yeaaaah!

From wiki
"Season 5 (2014)

TLC renewed the show on September 10, 2013. The season will include ten episodes.[5]"

NinjaPoodle 07-03-2014 03:32 PM

Whooooooooo Hooooooo! New Season July 23rd! I just saw the commercial! http://www.thewrap.com/tlc-who-do-yo...premiere-date/