GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Who Do You Think You Are? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=112216)

NinjaPoodle 04-05-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna (Post 2408477)
Isn't this show the same as "Who Do You Think You Are" on PBS? Same host, Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. Different network, different title?

Somewhat. They both follow/trace the backgrounds of celebs but FYR episodes focus on 2 or 3 celebs at a time while WDYTYA just does one per episode. Also, WDYTYA the celeb takes the journey (with help obviously) across the country or globe to get the info. FYR, the work is done by the show staff/geneologists/HLG,Jr.

Quote:

Last week, I watched 3 episodes of a pretty new TLC show about adoptees tracking down their birth mothers. I heart that show.

AFAIK, DNA will just tell you percentages of of your racial ancestry. How do they connect it to actual people? Through their own records of DNA tests? And hasn't ancestry.com gobbled up just about every other genealogical site on the Web? This concerns me a bit. I might not want my ancestry as publicly accessible info.
At bolded From wiki:
"Ancestry's brands include Ancestry, AncestryDNA, AncestryHealth, AncestryProGenealogists, Family Tree Maker, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.

Under its subsidiaries, Ancestry.com operates foreign sites that provide access to services and records specific to other countries in the languages of those countries. These include several countries in Europe (covered by Ancestry Information Operations Company[5]) as well as Australia and Canada."

NinjaPoodle 04-05-2016 06:48 PM

Ancestry/geneology is a hot business right now.
Article I came across:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/megan-...b_9609742.html

NinjaPoodle 01-16-2019 05:48 PM

Anyone still watching these shows?

AnchorAlumna 01-17-2019 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle (Post 2463997)
Anyone still watching these shows?

I never seem to run across them when I'm channel surfing, so I like to watch them online.

honeychile 03-13-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna (Post 2464035)
I never seem to run across them when I'm channel surfing, so I like to watch them online.

That's my problem, too. I never seem to know exactly when they'll be on, so I do my best.

Sciencewoman 03-14-2019 03:03 PM

Felicity Huffman was featured this winter on Finding Your Roots, with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. As a professor, I wonder what he's thinking about her now, in light of the college admissions scandal. I'd like to go back and watch that episode, because if I'm recalling correctly, she had a troubled relationship with her own mother, who casually told her one day that she was the product of an extramarital affair. And, she felt her mother didn't handle that very well. Multi-generational parenting issues, yikes.

NinjaPoodle 03-15-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2465037)
Felicity Huffman was featured this winter on Finding Your Roots, with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. As a professor, I wonder what he's thinking about her now, in light of the college admissions scandal. I'd like to go back and watch that episode, because if I'm recalling correctly, she had a troubled relationship with her own mother, who casually told her one day that she was the product of an extramarital affair. And, she felt her mother didn't handle that very well. Multi-generational parenting issues, yikes.

Macy had been featured also. Season 4 Episode 3 : Puritans and Pioneers

Felicity Season 5, Episode 2: Mystery Men

ChioLu 03-15-2019 10:34 PM

My brother has forbidden anyone in the family to get their ancestry done.

I’ve asked him “Why? Have you committed a crime and if I get my ancestry done, do you think the police will have a link to catch you? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? ARE YOU GOING TO PRISON?”

Cracks me up every time.

NinjaPoodle 09-26-2019 07:39 AM

Soooooo, if anyone is still interested, Finding Your Roots is back! (Does the 'silent joy of happiness' dance :D )
https://www.facebook.com/FindingYourRootsPBS/

Sciencewoman 09-26-2019 06:08 PM

Yay!! I love this show! I will admit that some of the more recent guests are not as well-known to me, but I'm a little out of when it comes to recently famous/young celebrities.

honeychile 09-26-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2465077)
My brother has forbidden anyone in the family to get their ancestry done.

I’ve asked him “Why? Have you committed a crime and if I get my ancestry done, do you think the police will have a link to catch you? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? ARE YOU GOING TO PRISON?”

Cracks me up every time.

I can't possibly be the only one who's wondering why your brother's so paranoid!!

Can't wait until October 8th!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.