GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Phi Sigma Sigma (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Advisor's (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=100474)

Nanners52674 10-19-2008 08:17 PM

Advisor's

Hey girls, I was just wondering at your chapter how many advisors you have (if you have more than one how big is your chapter) and how involved are they???? (like are they at chatper mtgs, initiation, bid day)

ASTalumna06 10-20-2008 10:43 AM

Our advisory board is currently full. We have a chapter advisor, assistant chapter advisor, chapter consultant, recruitment advisor and new member advisor.

I am the recruitment advisor, and I attend all of the meetings, along with the chapter advisor. The new member advisor is able to make it to some of the meetings, and she frequently communicates with the New Member Director. The assistant chapter advisor just got married, and she might be stepping down. And the chapter consultant is a founding sister, and while she lives a good distance away, she is very involved with the chapter. She is actually coming in a month to conduct her annual officer and chairman training.

In terms of initiation and other ritual ceremonies, the chapter, new member, and recruitment advisors (myself!) usually go, along with other alumnae in the area.

The chapter currently has 12 sisters and 4 new members, so it's good that our advisory board is filled (because I know that it never was when I was active a few years ago).

Nanners52674 10-20-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 1733295)
Our advisory board is currently full. We have a chapter advisor, assistant chapter advisor, chapter consultant, recruitment advisor and new member advisor.

I am the recruitment advisor, and I attend all of the meetings, along with the chapter advisor. The new member advisor is able to make it to some of the meetings, and she frequently communicates with the New Member Director. The assistant chapter advisor just got married, and she might be stepping down. And the chapter consultant is a founding sister, and while she lives a good distance away, she is very involved with the chapter. She is actually coming in a month to conduct her annual officer and chairman training.

In terms of initiation and other ritual ceremonies, the chapter, new member, and recruitment advisors (myself!) usually go, along with other alumnae in the area.

The chapter currently has 12 sisters and 4 new members, so it's good that our advisory board is filled (because I know that it never was when I was active a few years ago).

WOW!!!!!!!

My chapter has about 35 girls and we don't have an advisory board just our chapter key advisor. She comes to things when she can but has a really busy family life. I can't believe a chapter so much smaller has so much advisor involvement :confused:

ASTalumna06 10-20-2008 02:26 PM

^^ Again, we never used to. Our president a couple years ago decided that we needed a full advisory board, as there hadn't been any more than a chapter advisor in years. She contacted and approached some younger alumnae members and proposed the idea to them of serving as advisory board members, based on what they had done within the chapter when they were collegiate members. We were also fortunate enough to have a founding sister respond and offer to serve as the chapter consultant. As for me, I had moved back to MA after I graduated, and then after a year and a half, I moved back to PA. I had attended some of the meetings, and the girls asked, and then voted me into the position of recruitment advisor.

I think that having an advisory board helps IMMENSELY, and if your chapter has alumnae in your area to help out, you should definitely put into motion an effort to fill the board.

And as you mentioned, your main advisor has a really busy family life. Our chapter advisor is married with two kids. Actually, when I was active, she just had her 2nd. So she was unable to attend a lot of the meetings. Having a full advisory board helps out in this respect, too. So when one person can't make it to the meetings/ceremonies, there is always someone else there. In our case, it's usually myself, and I almost serve as a recruitment/chapter advisor.