GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

SigKapSweetie14 01-31-2011 05:48 AM

SO I'm a freshman and I rushed last semester (Fall 2010), after the first couple of nights we were each being taken back to the computers to do our rankings and drop one of the sororities, well one of the Rho Gammas, Emily, took me back to do my rankings, this was the after skit night and I was left with a sour taste in my mouth from one house, first the girl that had shown me around at house tours was rude and the girl I spoke to at skit night seemed like your stereotypical airhead barbie doll sorority girl so I knew I was dropping that chapter, without a second thought I did, Emily checked to make sure I was sure and I said yes, well recruitment continued but I had to miss the last 2, and most important, days due to my brother getting married, I got a phone call saying the only offer for a bid that I got was from the chapter I'd dropped, I took some time to think and decided to go for it and accept the bid, I got back for bid day and low and behold, the Rho Gamma I'd dropped the chapter with was in fact in the chapter! She came up to see if I was ok and say how glad she was that I was there, I was so embarrassed I almost cried, I apologized to her for months; I felt terrible.
Note: The rude girl that showed me around the house is now one of my closest friends in the sorority and the stereotypical blonde barbie doll is my Big :) and the decision to accept that bid is one of the best I've ever made, even though I'm a legacy to another sorority on campus, I can't imagine being as at home there as I am where I am now

TinyDancer98 01-31-2011 06:58 AM

Not so much a "weird" story, but amusing. I was on my chapter's recruitment team this year and thus had access to all the information logged in the computers and the PMNs' applications. Our school very rarely receives recs and introductions, so we rely very heavily on the applications to provide us with information prior to recruitment. There is a space for PNMs to list any special information they wish the chapters to have- such as specific food allergies, physical accommodations they require, etc. For the most part, this is useful, but some women choose to make note of the most ridiculous things. Over recruitment week, we fall into referring to the PMNs by their odd notes... broke-her-wrist-three-times girl, allergic-to-aloe girl, flower girl (specifically stated she dislikes flowers- luckily she didn't attend pref). My personal favorite this year was the PMN who specified the kinds of shampoo she can and cannot use... as if we were planning on giving her a shower.

33girl 01-31-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyDancer98 (Post 2025328)
My personal favorite this year was the PMN who specified the kinds of shampoo she can and cannot use... as if we were planning on giving her a shower.

You mean everyone doesn't do that at their pref party? Oh great, I outed myself. Thanks a lot. :p

honeychile 01-31-2011 03:27 PM

33's post reminded me of one that, regrettably, I had forgotten. It was the party prior to Pref, and an otherwise nice PNM started telling each sister she talked to what foods she was allergic to, and hoped we wouldn't serve at Pref. She may have told 5-6 different sisters about her shrimp and chocolate and milk etc allergies. One of the sisters said later, "Should we cut her or tell her to pack a lunch?"

Fleur de Lis 02-01-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2025449)
33's post reminded me of one that, regrettably, I had forgotten. It was the party prior to Pref, and an otherwise nice PNM started telling each sister she talked to what foods she was allergic to, and hoped we wouldn't serve at Pref. She may have told 5-6 different sisters about her shrimp and chocolate and milk etc allergies. One of the sisters said later, "Should we cut her or tell her to pack a lunch?"

Seriously, just don't eat the chocolate chip cookie if it's that bad! I see major red flags for sisterhood retreats, dinners at chapter, etc.

FleurGirl 02-01-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleur de Lis (Post 2025693)
Seriously, just don't eat the chocolate chip cookie if it's that bad! I see major red flags for sisterhood retreats, dinners at chapter, etc.

For real! I feel like allergies and dietary restrictions are not something to be discussed during recruitment. Because, I mean, honestly, who is going to take someone who's allergic to COOKIES? Cookies are AWESOME! :D

Alumiyum 02-01-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleurGirl (Post 2025848)
For real! I feel like allergies and dietary restrictions are not something to be discussed during recruitment. Because, I mean, honestly, who is going to take someone who's allergic to COOKIES? Cookies are AWESOME! :D

I feel sorry for anyone with food allergies, but yeah. Why not just avoid eating it? Why talk about it?

Unless it's one of those peanut allergies where they can't even be near it. I do know some people with children that are THAT allergic, but then again if they're going to an event they tell the adult in charge to not have any products with peanuts...instead of telling everyone in the room.

FleurGirl 02-01-2011 10:15 PM

^If they're that allergic to peanuts that they can't even be in the same room with them, I feel like that's something that should go through the Greek Life office. They could notify the chapters to not serve anything peanut-related and then the girl wouldn't even need to worry about it. I think sharing your food allergies during recruitment is just a big old red flag screaming, "I'M REALLY HIGH MAINTENENCE!" or something.

Drolefille 02-01-2011 10:20 PM

Seems like back when food was served at parties, that having PNMs provide a list of allergies to their Recruitment Counselors and then it's on each sorority to either provide an alternative should they choose.

But I suspect that probably wasn't done back then either :p

Tulip86 02-01-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleurGirl (Post 2025856)
^If they're that allergic to peanuts that they can't even be in the same room with them, I feel like that's something that should go through the Greek Life office. They could notify the chapters to not serve anything peanut-related and then the girl wouldn't even need to worry about it. I think sharing your food allergies during recruitment is just a big old red flag screaming, "I'M REALLY HIGH MAINTENENCE!" or something.

Um.. no
I'm one of those people who is allergic to peanuts (10% of all people are allergic to them to some extent) and because not all recruitment events and sorority activities during recruitment (like eating peanuts/peanutbutter before rushees arrive) can be controlled, notifying Greek like office is not the only option. I always mentioned it as a small byline in a note or phone call to the person responsible. Still do when attending dinner/food parties, just to avoid awkward situations of me not being able to eat, or worse, having to leave, and making someone feel bad about it. There is nothing high maintenance about a bad allergie. But mentioning it a lot and talking about it with actives is weird and unnecessary. And I think you should only ever mention it if it could affect the situation. Peanut allergie when served peanutbutter? Yes. Shampoo-specific allergie during round 1? No.

Tulip86 02-01-2011 10:35 PM

The weirdest I ever encountered was a girl who walked in during the first night of pledging, day after bid-day, in my junior year. I had been away on an internship and we had a really large group of NMs so I didn't recognize all of them yet. We started talking and she went off about how glad she was the got in to XYZ, and not ABC, and how horrible everyone at ABC was, and how she knew from the start she was going to be an XYZ. I don't think she noticed she was at the wrong place standing in a room full of ABCs! I kindly pointed the way to the other group, very glad she was not one of ours!

FleurGirl 02-01-2011 10:37 PM

^I didn't mean to offend you. Serious allergies are no joke. I just thought the level to which it was being discussed in that situation was super excessive and high maintenance. If it's something that could be super dangerous then it should of course be mentioned subtly and to the right people, like you said. Sorry if that didn't come out right :(

Tulip86 02-01-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleurGirl (Post 2025873)
^I didn't mean to offend you. Serious allergies are no joke. I just thought the level to which it was being discussed in that situation was super excessive and high maintenance. If it's something that could be super dangerous then it should of course be mentioned subtly and to the right people, like you said. Sorry if that didn't come out right :(

Don't worry! Not offended :) Just think it's very important people know about those allergies. I know my group almost landed me in the hospital the first time I met them by serving brownies with tiny bits of peanut in them and not mentioning that! Now that would be a weird rush story: PNM in hospital after Brownie-gate '06 LOL

txAOII_15 02-01-2011 11:17 PM

i love reading all these stories. my school has deferred rush that will begin this sunday and itll be my first time going through it on our side, so hopefully ill have tons of stories. :)

aephi alum 02-02-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolefille (Post 2025858)
Seems like back when food was served at parties, that having PNMs provide a list of allergies to their Recruitment Counselors and then it's on each sorority to either provide an alternative should they choose.

But I suspect that probably wasn't done back then either :p

I rushed back in the day when food was served at parties (the food was fruit/cheese/veggies/cookies, little nibbles, no 7-course dinners or anything) and PNMs were not asked about food allergies. I suppose that if someone were highly allergic to peanuts or some other food item, she could mention it to her rho chi. It never happened, to my knowledge. A PNM who was, say, lactose intolerant would just downplay it and stick to "safe" items like fruit and water. Even my favorite psycho rushee (about whom I posted years ago in this thread) didn't walk into parties saying "Hi, I'm 'Sue' and I have Crohn's and I can't eat X, Y, or Z."

I actually have a non-weird rush story along these lines. I was speaking to a PNM during a party (I think it was the round before pref), and we got onto the topic of food, and she mentioned to me that she was diabetic. Well, I was Bid Day party chair, and when I learned she'd matched to us, I made sure there were some sugar-free cookies and Diet Coke for her. She became my little. :)