GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

KSUViolet06 02-06-2011 06:26 PM

We had food at House Tours and Preference.

House Tours: Mini desserts. drinks. fruit trays.

Preference: Mini sandwiches, quiches, etc. drinks.

Never full meals.

xomanadaxo 02-15-2011 11:12 AM

A sister told me yesterday she was having a conversation with a PNM and the girl farted. The PNM was really embarrassed, but she came back the next day, so it must not have embarrassed her too badly!

Splash 02-15-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2026602)
I've been away and missed the commentary on Allergy Girl. This woman was pretty much demanding that we don't serve anything containing her allergents. Had she pulled one or two sisters aside and said, "I don't know what you plan to serve at Pref, but I'm allergic to Rat Poison," I don't think anyone's feathers would have been ruffled. Had she simply come to Pref, and said, "I'm so sorry, I'm allergic to Rat Poison," nobody's feathers would have been ruffled. It was the assumption that a) she would be invited to Pref and b) her demanding tone that turned off so many of us. And now that I think of it, one of the things had something to do with her wearing braces - not an allergy at all!

Wasn't the point to alert ahead of time though? Regardless of her demanding tone (inappropriate) waiting until she's at pref sort of defeats the purpose.

GeorgiaGreek 02-15-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xomanadaxo (Post 2030504)
A sister told me yesterday she was having a conversation with a PNM and the girl farted. The PNM was really embarrassed, but she came back the next day, so it must not have embarrassed her too badly!

Oh no! I feel bad for the PNM, but the immature part of my brain finds that really funny.
I'm glad they didn't judge her too much for it. At schools where you have 1000 girls rushing with 8 hour days and almost no time to go to the bathroom, I'm sure it's happened before.

AlphaFrog 02-15-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2030531)
Wasn't the point to alert ahead of time though? Regardless of her demanding tone (inappropriate) waiting until she's at pref sort of defeats the purpose.

She said that the PNM could have taken a couple sisters aside, or just not eat at Pref...not sure what your point is, slick.

MysticCat 02-15-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2030531)
Wasn't the point to alert ahead of time though? Regardless of her demanding tone (inappropriate) waiting until she's at pref sort of defeats the purpose.

It was inappropriate for her to mention it at all, as doing so presumes that one will receive an invitation. If there's going to be talk about "defeating the purpose," then this particular PNM defeated the purpose of going through recruitment, because she showed herself to both ill-mannered and very high maintenance.

Splash 02-15-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2030562)
It was inappropriate for her to mention it at all, as doing so presumes that one will receive an invitation. If there's going to be talk about "defeating the purpose," then this particular PNM defeated the purpose of going through recruitment, because she showed herself to both ill-mannered and very high maintenance.

Mentioning it is not inappropriate if the presence of an item at pref is a threat to the PNM. I'm assuming this PNM has a reaction in the presence of the item, as she could simply politely decline otherwise.

I did misread the initial post though (even though I quoted) and there is an offered solution of quietly pulling one or two sisters aside and mentioning humbly.

AGDee 02-15-2011 10:13 PM

If a PNM has an allergy so severe that being in the room with it (thinking peanut allergy) would send her into an allergic reaction, then the appropriate thing for her to do is to alert her Recruitment Counselor at the orientation meeting so that all chapters can be notified well in advance and plan accordingly.

honeychile 02-15-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap (Post 2027133)
I loved the petit fours with violets on the them!

That's what we were serving - not even with nuts! We used to have the PNM's name in between the violets. <*name*>

The funny part is, at the time, I had some pretty serious allergies. None were life threatening, but there was a time or two that I had to take some deep breaths to get the smell of perfume out of my sinuses.

And I don't know about anyone else with non-life threathening allergies, but I was taught to simply say, "I'd love to, but I'm allergic to rat poison," in a sincere way, rather than otherwise embarrass a hostess. Whomever said it was inappropriate due to the presumption of being invited is also terribly correct. (Was that you, MC?)

Barbie's_Rush 02-15-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xomanadaxo (Post 2030504)
A sister told me yesterday she was having a conversation with a PNM and the girl farted. The PNM was really embarrassed, but she came back the next day, so it must not have embarrassed her too badly!

I had a pnm I really liked let one loose when she was talking to me. I mean really really loud to the point where it couldn't be ignored even in a noisy party. I just smiled and said something like "You are really talented! I didn't even have to pull your finger!" It really helped break the tension for her because I knew she was mortified. We both had a good laugh and she got invited back. :)

BemoreLXA 02-15-2011 11:55 PM

We were driving these two clowns to a rush event when one said "Hey man can I smoke in here?" and I was like "Yeah sure man, you need a cigarette?"....When I look back he's got a full joint lit and he's passing it!

So he didn't get a bid

33girl 02-16-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BemoreLXA (Post 2030768)
We were driving these two clowns to a rush event when one said "Hey man can I smoke in here?" and I was like "Yeah sure man, you need a cigarette?"....When I look back he's got a full joint lit and he's passing it!

So he didn't get a bid

When I started reading this I thought you literally meant clowns as in circus clowns, like they were party entertainment. Instead you mean you had Slater & Pickford in your car. LOL

AlphaFrog 02-16-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2030911)
When I started reading this I thought you literally meant clowns as in circus clowns, like they were party entertainment. Instead you mean you had Slater & Pickford in your car. LOL

Sadly, he's probably too young for the D&C reference.

MysticCat 02-16-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2030695)
Mentioning it is not inappropriate if the presence of an item at pref is a threat to the PNM.

It is always rude to say to a host or hostess anything that suggests one assumes that one will be invited to an event held by that host or hostess when one hasn't actually been invited. Always.

It is also always rude to "demand' (honeychile's description of the encounter) what a host or hostess serve or not serve. Always.

Quote:

I'm assuming this PNM has a reaction in the presence of the item, as she could simply politely decline otherwise.
That's not what I assumed from the way honeychile decribed it, especially since the "demand" was that no food be served that contained her "allergens." If that is indeed the case, the appropriate and reasonable way to deal with it is AGDee's suggestion:
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 2030726)
If a PNM has an allergy so severe that being in the room with it (thinking peanut allergy) would send her into an allergic reaction, then the appropriate thing for her to do is to alert her Recruitment Counselor at the orientation meeting so that all chapters can be notified well in advance and plan accordingly.

Instead, all this PNM accomplished was to make sure she did not get an invitation to pref.

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2030738)
And I don't know about anyone else with non-life threathening allergies, but I was taught to simply say, "I'd love to, but I'm allergic to rat poison," in a sincere way, rather than otherwise embarrass a hostess.

Exactly. And then you move the conversation along.

Quote:

Whomever said it was inappropriate due to the presumption of being invited is also terribly correct. (Was that you, MC?)
;)

BemoreLXA 02-16-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 2030918)
Sadly, he's probably too young for the D&C reference.

haha no way man, some movies are classics!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.