GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

KSUViolet06 10-24-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by persephoneia (Post 1997393)
Has nothing to do with hearsay. I know the girls they did it to. The most recent being one of their pledges being ignored by their big & grandbig along with being called ugly, fat, and so on by them simply because she was trying to be friendly and sent everyone a good morning text. I have no problem with the sorority themselves, just the people that are being mean to people in their own sorority family. There are some nice girls there, but for the most part this seems to be very few.

I find it very odd that you have FOUR posts on this site and TWO of them involve throwing shade on another chapter.

Drolefille 10-24-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1997395)
I find it very odd that you have FOUR posts on this site and TWO of them involve throwing shade on another chapter.

And now she has two posts.

Also, today I learned "throwing shade"

AnchorAlumna 11-01-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1997395)
...throwing shade...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/image...ies/oglvvd.gifhttp://www.city-data.com/forum/image...ies/oglvvd.gif

victoriana 01-19-2011 09:37 PM

The recruitment season is upon us again! My chapter had a recruitment event the other night, and it's pretty open, so whoever wants to come can come. There was this girl there who fooled everyone into thinking she was a PNM when she actually is an active, initiated member of another NPC group on campus. She was asking questions a typical PNM would ask, and she definitely didn't let on that she was already a member of another group. We didn't find out until after the event ended that she was just a random girl who showed up to "hang out." It was definitely veeeeery awkward.

Barbie's_Rush 01-19-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by victoriana (Post 2022228)
The recruitment season is upon us again! My chapter had a recruitment event the other night, and it's pretty open, so whoever wants to come can come. There was this girl there who fooled everyone into thinking she was a PNM when she actually is an active, initiated member of another NPC group on campus. She was asking questions a typical PNM would ask, and she definitely didn't let on that she was already a member of another group. We didn't find out until after the event ended that she was just a random girl who showed up to "hang out." It was definitely veeeeery awkward.

Maybe she heard you had really good snacks there? Or maybe she thought switching groups is no big thing like some people who come to GC lately seem to think.

victoriana 01-19-2011 10:39 PM

We did have really good snacks, haha.

33girl 01-20-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by victoriana (Post 2022228)

OK, I can understand when guys used to do this during wet rush to get free beer, but in this situation?? WTF!

Honestly, I would notify her chapter president or the Greek advisor. Either she's trying to screw her chapter or screw you guys, or both.

AGDee 01-20-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2022311)
OK, I can understand when guys used to do this during wet rush to get free beer, but in this situation?? WTF!

Honestly, I would notify her chapter president or the Greek advisor. Either she's trying to screw her chapter or screw you guys, or both.

Agreed.

GeorgiaGreek 01-20-2011 07:39 PM

As I'm sure many of you know, for UGA rush, the attire for each day is much less casual than at many other schools. We never have a jeans or pants day; Each PNM pretty much wears a nice sundress each round, and girls generally wear nice flats, or sometimes heels or wedges with the dresses.
During one of the rounds of rush (either house tours or philanthropy), I noticed a girl who had her hair nicely done, good makeup, cute dress, cute purse...and those Vibram Five Fingers shoes on.
Maybe at others schools this wouldn't seem like a huge deal, but for UGA, where PNMs dress to the nines (and especially on a girl who obviously knew how to make herself look presentable), it was like seeing someone show up without pants on.

Not exactly as crazy as some of the other stories on the thread, but it was definitely a big "WTF???" moment for me

prettyv 01-22-2011 04:09 PM

I think enough time has passed I can share this...

I was talking to a PNM who was NOT dressed appropriately for recruitment (like, those tear away athletic pants and a hoodie) but we're not a super competitive school and the first day often has a wide array of outfits. Some girls who are amazing additions to the chapter have questionable attire the first 1-2 days, so I try not to focus on things like that. Anyway, we began chatting:

Me: "What were you like in high school? Like, jock, artistic, student council...?"
Her: "Oh, no, I went to a super small high school, there wasn't a lot of organizations to join like that. For example, I was the only person in my biology class last year."
Me: "Holy cow, that's ridiculous! That's pretty cool though, having your teacher just devoted to teaching you... And they would totally notice when you're daydreaming... haha! You must've aced that class!"
Her: "Oh no, I skipped all the time. I think I failed."
Me: [Thinking - OK so now you've told me you have basically 0 extra curricular activities and 0 scholarship potential...]

... slightly later in the conversation...

Me: "So what do you do on the weekends?"
Her: "Hang out with friends... Go shopping.. DRINK. I drink a LOT."
Me: *stunned silence* ".....I love shopping!"

AOII Angel 01-22-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGreek (Post 2022469)
As I'm sure many of you know, for UGA rush, the attire for each day is much less casual than at many other schools. We never have a jeans or pants day; Each PNM pretty much wears a nice sundress each round, and girls generally wear nice flats, or sometimes heels or wedges with the dresses.
During one of the rounds of rush (either house tours or philanthropy), I noticed a girl who had her hair nicely done, good makeup, cute dress, cute purse...and those Vibram Five Fingers shoes on.
Maybe at others schools this wouldn't seem like a huge deal, but for UGA, where PNMs dress to the nines (and especially on a girl who obviously knew how to make herself look presentable), it was like seeing someone show up without pants on.

Not exactly as crazy as some of the other stories on the thread, but it was definitely a big "WTF???" moment for me

I had to look those up. I saw a woman with those on in the airport recently. My husband and I were trying not to stare, and she wasn't dressed up for recruitment!

PhoenixAzul 01-22-2011 04:31 PM

Vibram Five Fingers are part of a larger "barefoot/minimalist running shoe" trend now. they're a pain in the ass to fit, and if you have even a small anomaly on your foot (hammer toe, Morton's toe, etc) they won't work for you. No one listens when you say things like, "Hey, you have to wear these in small doses at first..." and then they come back with shin splints.

Oof, kinda glad I'm not in retail any more.

But while they may look awesome in the gym or paddling or running, or hell even with jeans on a casual day, never would I wear them to anything resembling recruitment.

Drolefille 01-22-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2023043)
I had to look those up. I saw a woman with those on in the airport recently. My husband and I were trying not to stare, and she wasn't dressed up for recruitment!

My big has a pair and LOVES them. I'm considering trying them out because I have serious foot pain/shin splint issues when I run or even walk briskly for too long, especially on pavement. And I've always preferred to run barefoot (not for like training or anything) anyway.

GeorgiaGreek 01-24-2011 11:35 PM

I thought of another odd story from this past recruitment..

To preface, I'll say that SDT at UGA has a great deal of Jewish members. A lot of PNM's know this coming through rush beforehand, some find out through tent talk, and some never realize it at all. Most girls are aware of this however, and those that feel that being a member of a predominately Jewish house make their selections accordingly.
One girl who came through this past year liked our house a lot and was back for the second round. During that round, one of my sisters had picked her up at the door and was talking to her for most of the round. Nearer to the end of the round, we were informed by the Gamma Chi's that there was a tornado watch (or warning, something like that) and they were waiting for instructions on what to do. During that time, we were all kind of confused so we basically just continued our conversations as if the party was longer (I don't think any of the houses got in trouble for this since we weren't really told what to do and nobody wanted to just stop talking the the girls while they were still sitting right there...and it was probably happening the same way at every house). The sister the PNM was talking to signaled for me to come over and help her out with talking to this girl during the wait. She had kind of a weirded out look on her face, and when I got there, I quickly understood why. This girl was going on and on about her various mission trips and the joys she got from bringing Jesus to other people, etc. We tried to steer the conversation to other topics, but this girl was obviously very dedicated to her mission trips, and wanted us to know it. She wasn't doing it to be rude to us; I think she was just trying to show us that she was dedicated to something. Unfortunately, it was something that would conflict with a whole lotta people if she were a sister. I'm kind of surprised that she didn't pick up on it at least a little, because we had the conversations of that round in the chapter room, where theres a big cast of our shield, on which is the Star of David. Although 1. she could have not considered the symbol still relevant, as SDT has no official religious affiliation or 2. She might have thought we were Crips. Kidding.

What made me kind of sad was that she kept saying how much she liked us...and basically said we were one of the few houses that she felt like girls actually were trying to get to know her and seemed genuinely interested. Knowing that someone who was very into her Christian faith (which I have no issue with), and interested in bringing that faith to other people would probably cause some conflicts, she did not end up going SDT.

I didn't think to remember her name to find out what happened to her, but I kind of hope she got a bid from another sorority, or maybe joined Sigma Alpha Omega (one of the Christian sororities we have on campus; I know some great girls in it) because she really did seem like a nice person.

livelaughluv 01-26-2011 07:55 PM

So I was not the one to talk to this girl, but one of the pnms who came through our house was espousing her love for large exotic cats to one of my sisters, and she proceeded to go into great detail about this particular interest. The sister tried to change the topic multiple times but the girl kept coming back to cats. We nicknamed her cat girl, and the next day she was back and continued to talk to another sister about large exotic cats. Unfortunately we never got around to a round three with cat girl but her legacy lives on :)