GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

KDwxgrrl 01-04-2005 01:40 PM

Getting this fabulous thread back on topic...

We're on break right now from open house day, and I had to throw this up there. Group of sisters and PNM having a relatively normal conversation, when this girl says "So I've heard that if you get a bid, then you have to prove your worth. So let's say I pledge KD, if I get a bid, how do I prove my worthiness?" And the girls all look at each other like "WHAT?" And one sister goes "Um, that's hazing, no." And another says "Um, if you get a bid it means you are worthy."

I heart Recruitment!

lyrica9 01-11-2005 08:02 AM

i thought for sure i had already posted this, but i guess not...

this past fall we had a very overly enthusiastic girl on second day that was sitting at my table. she was really bubbly and loud, to the extent that i thought she was somewhat pretending at times, but oh no, she was not.
she kept punching my arm, which was weird, but the disorienting part was when we were talking about shoes, and i commented on how i liked that mine added 3 inches to my height since im 4'11".

then when i stood up she shouted "oh my god you are just the cutest thing ever!" and grabbed me in a bone crushing hug. i didn't know how to react at all. she was a real sweetheart.. just kind of socially inept.

LightBulb 01-12-2005 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lyrica9
...and i commented on how i liked that mine added 3 inches to my height since im 4'11".

then when i stood up she shouted "oh my god you are just the cutest thing ever!" and grabbed me in a bone crushing hug. i didn't know how to react at all...

My big sis is 4'10", and people say that to her all the time! lol

I think it bugs her at times.

IrishPhiSig 01-16-2005 06:15 AM

on my first time at a COB event on "the other side", there was a girl there who desperately wanted to be in a sorority. ANY sorority. Apparently, she was cut by all the houses during formal recruitment and made up a story about how her boyfriend was in the hospital or something but then it changed to the fact that she disinterested...I don't even know. I know she had two stories of why she dropped out of rush.

So at our COB event, she went around and made a point to talk to every single sister with a fake smile and kind of guided the conversation. If we mentioned we were interested in something or were majoring in something, SHE was interested in it too. Then when we asked her about herself, she started talking about her love for Jesus and how she only reads Christian novels and her faith is the center of her life and yadda yadda. I mean, that's cool, mad props to her...but our sorority is all about diversity and I felt like she was trying to convert me! Especially since our sorority has a few Jewish girls and was founded because founders were both Christian and Jewish and wanted an organization they all could be apart of.

We did not give her a bid.

And nongreekloser, you are NOT a loser. It happens. Some girls either don't fit in any house on campus and would at another campus, or the sisters just didn't get to know you well enough. I got a bid from my 2nd choice sorority. On the first night when we ranked, I ranked XYZ sorority as 2nd and they cut me. Before pref night, I preffed ABC sorority 1st and Phi Sig 2nd and they cut me...and I was left totally confused because I thought they really liked me. It happens....and it sucks. But you're not a loser! Maybe the sorority thing is cutthroat at your school?

RUASTgrrl 01-28-2005 12:47 PM

There has GOT to be some good stories from this semester.....

chideltjen 01-28-2005 01:21 PM

I've been an alumna for quite some time but I still go to recruitment to help out once in a while.

I've seen girls that are WAY overly enthusiastic to the point where they think they will get a bid to the girls who show up, back themselves into a small corner and refuse to talk to anyone.

We do COB like events for a week after Fall Formal Recruitment is over. Generally the girls who don't go thru formal, didn't like the start of formal recruitment and dropped or got cut first round filter into our recruitment. (Not always the case but it happens.)

I guess last fall there was one girl who was soooooo over confident that she was going to get a bid. She was friends with so and so and just decided that she was already part of the sisterhood on the first day of rush. She was cut.

I think the greatest rush story I have is one from a couple years ago. It's kinda complicated. So a girl that was in an NPC sorority transferred from one school to the next. Her sorority was at our campus, but she didn't like the chapter here (based on a rumor that some fraternity guy told her... I don't think she bothered to check out the chapter itself.) So she rushed us. This girl wanted to know EVERYTHING about us. And since she had been initiated to her NPC, she knew what happened on the last day of COB. So the last night of rush, she asks one of the sisters as we are ushering everyone out so we can vote: "So is this the part where you talk $hit about us all?" :eek: I told the girls not to let this girl in because my roommate/sister had seen her in another club on campus and said she was a little twisted. But my house wasn't too smart and they gave her a bid... only to retract it later. (Apparently this one chick caused a WHOLE lotta drama within the first WEEK of being a new member.) So after they depledged her, she threatened to go to the newspaper and say how HORRIBLE we were. Yes, we probably went about this all wrong, but it was a lapse of judgement. I still shake my head at the fact.

Fast forward 2 years. I started going to the Newman Center near campus. I was going thru the photo gallery. In one of the pictures was HER! It was the spring before she rushed. I asked my boyfriend about her. He just shook his head. He's all: During that retreat, she had a little too much to drink and all HELL broke lose. He said she (and this guy she was talking to) was the reason they no longer allow alcohol on retreats. This girl was everywhere. I don't know what she's doing now, but I hope she's well... maybe.

RUASTgrrl 01-31-2005 02:46 PM

So I visited a nearby chapter to help out during recruitment. During the open house parties, the potential new members were given foam cutouts in various colors as part of our activity. Not only did 2 PNMs come to our party chewing gum so obnoxiously I thought they'd gnaw their faces off, but one of the girls, appearantly realizing her faux pas, stuck her gum in the foam cutout she had been given. We were reusing them for every party, and it was super gross to find that little treat right before the next party. Moral of the story....gum should only be chewed for oral hygene in your room in the dark.

SigEpSam 02-02-2005 06:16 AM

Killer Rush

About 4 years ago The two top houses at my school ( us and Sigma Chi) gave a bid to this good looking kid with a 3.8 high school Gpa. He never came to pick up his bid. Turns out he killed his girlfriend two days before bid day. He came to both of our events after he killed her. I like to think that he would have gone Sigma Chi. lol

hunnie843 02-02-2005 12:27 PM

Uhh, ok then!

lspegele 02-03-2005 04:14 AM

We had this one guy who was going to associate with us or not associate at all. He's a cool guy and we gave him a bid but he wasn't sure if he was a fraternity kind of guy. At the end of rush week he decided to accept and he was walking across the road on the phone to tell his parents the news. While on the phone he was hit by a scooter knocking him back several feet and sending the guy on the scooter flying. Everyone turned out ok but we all gave him the nickname "Scooter."

MoxieGrrl 02-08-2005 10:19 AM

Re: Killer Rush

Quote:

Originally posted by SigEpSam
About 4 years ago The two top houses at my school ( us and Sigma Chi) gave a bid to this good looking kid with a 3.8 high school Gpa. He never came to pick up his bid. Turns out he killed his girlfriend two days before bid day. He came to both of our events after he killed her. I like to think that he would have gone Sigma Chi. lol
Holy hell. That might be the creepiest rush story ever.

kddani 02-08-2005 10:20 AM

Re: Re: Killer Rush

Quote:

Originally posted by MoxieGrrl
Holy hell. That might be the creepiest rush story ever.
hijack
HEY STRANGER :)
Nice to see you around!
/hijack

KSUViolet06 02-09-2005 08:20 PM

My chapter of the Kappa Phi Club just recently had its spring contact meeting for interested women. We're a Christian service club, so we're open membership, but the meeting just gives women a chance to see what we're about.

So for the meeting, we decide to make and eat our own "dirt pudding", which is just chocolate pudding with crushed Oreos in it. We had to crush our own Oreos in plastic sandwich bags. I started to crush mine, and the bag broke! There were crumbs everywhere. It was quite embarrassing.

CutiePie2000 02-09-2005 08:29 PM

Re: Killer Rush

Quote:

Originally posted by SigEpSam
Good looking? Sounds like a Robert Chambers'esque story. EEK!

Darlinglilred 02-10-2005 12:55 AM

It's not a very funny story but I thought I would share my experience of rushing with you all.
I rushed in the spring of 2003 Phi Sig, I loved the girls, loved what they did and was so excited when I recieved an invite to informal recruitment's version of a pref party. However Pref Night was also the night of my 19th birthday. I was scheduled to have dinner with my parents around 5 and then go to the party at 7. Unfortunately dinner was running late so I asked my dad to drive me back to the school because I wanted in so badly and I was scared that I would offend the girls if I didn't show up on time.
Needless to say luck was not with me, as we were going through an intersection a car ran a red and tboned the car in front of us which we then skidded into a culvert to avoid hitting. By the time I got back to the school, with my nice outfit ripped and my knee and arm all cut up, the girls had already left for the pref location. I tried calling the recruitment councillor but obviously she had her cellphone off so I walked all around campus attempting to find them with blood on my leg and bawling my eyes out.
Needless to say I didn't get a bid, but after i explained what had happened they invited me out to another event so everyone could talk to me again and then I was COB'd 2 weeks after the rest of the class.
If that wasn't enough of a story the next year Pref party once again fell on my birthday. The girls had decided that after pref we would all go out for dinner and then to a club. Dinner was great, although I think the restaurant hated having to serve 30 girls in the middle of the supper rush, but on the way home from the bar our driver, who was in a fraternity and was our DD, hit a patch of black ice and we skidded into the over pass and partly over it. We were about to get out of the car in case it slipped even further over, when a cop car hit the same patch of ice and almost slammed into us.

Moral of these stories?
Rush and My Birthday are NEVER EVER good combos!