GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

HotDamnImAPhiMu 07-28-2004 09:19 PM

liontamer, that's too bad, but what a great story. Talk about a formal no one will ever forget!

KSUViolet06 07-28-2004 09:46 PM

I just thought of this one:

I was at a contact party for my Kappa Phi club chapter. We're open membership (kinda like APO or Gamma Sig) so we don't really choose the girls, we just kinda talk to them and try to get them to see what we're all about so hopefully they decide to join us.

So anyway, there were about 20 or so PNM's there. I sat down and starting talking to a girl who had the most wretched look on her face, and was quite "mute".
:rolleyes:

She totally rolled her eyes at everything I said and gave me one word un-enthusiastic answers. She flat out told me that she only came b/c her friends came and b/c we had refreshments :rolleyes:

I remained calm and polite and was quite relieved when she decided not to pledge. :)

CASIGKAP 07-28-2004 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
She DID tell you the truth, she just used a term you weren't familiar with.

She might not have wanted to broadcast the fact that she has pinkeye... in some areas of the country it's associated with being "trashy" and unclean.

I didn't realize that to have pink-eye was considered to have a negative association. I just figured the person was stuck with an unfortunate illness. It sucks to be thought of as "trashy" when in fact, it's a common ailment.
As for her telling the truth, she did tell us the truth however when the new member educator told her that she hoped her pink-eye cleared up soon, the PNM snapped & said she did NOT have pink-eye. She had conjunctivitis. We just figured it was the same thing but she would not acknowledge it. She kept saying it was two different things so I don't know what was up with that.

CASIGKAP 07-28-2004 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JocelynC

I just thought of this one:

So anyway, there were about 20 or so PNM's there. I sat down and starting talking to a girl who had the most wretched look on her face, and was quite "mute".
:rolleyes:

She totally rolled her eyes at everything I said and gave me one word un-enthusiastic answers. She flat out told me that she only came b/c her friends came and b/c we had refreshments :rolleyes:

I remained calm and polite and was quite relieved when she decided not to pledge. :)

I came across a gal like this but her reason is b/c she was dead set on going to XYZ sorority & flat out said she wasn't wasting her time with all the other loser sororities on campus. She was only at an event b/c her mom wouldn't let her suicide. Turns out she did get her #1 choice but I've heard murmers that it's not going too well with her & XYZ.

SigKapQueen 07-29-2004 04:06 AM

really funny

so last year during the first day of recruitment when i was a rho chi, i overheard a pnm tell another pnm that XYZ is only giving out three bids and that two of them would be their legacies, leaving one spot for that special someone. they thought this, cuz it was one of the chapters at total. so i told them every sorority gets an equal amount of new members that is called quota even if they are at house total. i thought nothing of it, but when the morning of pref night rolled around other rho chis were telling me they heard the same thing from their girls and we wondered how it even got started. every pnm was nervous to go into the XYZ room, because they thought they didnt have a chance to receive a bid from them. so the XYZ chapter president during their party had to make an annoucement that they are giving bids to more than three girls and will have roughly the same amount of girls like everyone else. even the greek advisor had to make an annoucement during our lunch break that they will give out more than 3 bids.
what pnms come up with these days :rolleyes:

CASIGKAP 07-29-2004 12:35 PM

Well, you do have to admit that PNM's are so nervous about the whole thing all it takes is for one small dumb comment to be made & the next thing you know, it has taken on a snowball effect & there's this entire rumor going around.

We had a rumor in the spring that we were getting a new house that was supposed to be big & absolutely fabulous. I have no idea where it started but it floored me b/c the actives knew it was not true. One PNM told us she was glad we were getting a new house b/c she thought our current one was "ghetto". Her Big had to inform her that it was just a rumor. She was so embarrassed for making that comment. She later dropped out. She felt that she didn't have the time to devote to sorority. She also said she would try again in the fall.

DWAlphaGam 07-29-2004 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CASIGKAP
We had a rumor in the spring that we were getting a new house that was supposed to be big & absolutely fabulous. I have no idea where it started but it floored me b/c the actives knew it was not true. One PNM told us she was glad we were getting a new house b/c she thought our current one was "ghetto". Her Big had to inform her that it was just a rumor. She was so embarrassed for making that comment. She later dropped out. She felt that she didn't have the time to devote to sorority. She also said she would try again in the fall.
CASIGKAP, I think you may have your terminology mixed up. "PNM" stands for Potential New Member; i.e., someone who has not signed a bid (formerly known as a "rushee," sometimes called a "recruitment guest"). I think you mean a "New Member," which is someone who has signed a bid but has not yet been initiated (formerly called a "pledge"). PMNs wouldn't have a big sis or be required to come to mandatory events (outside of formal recruitment), so I was confused when I first read your previous posts. Am I correct in my interpretation?

greencat 07-29-2004 01:32 PM

Beware the Double In-House Legacy!

Three sisters.... whose names all began with the same letter were a nightmare.

First there was "Jennie"-- a nice, athetic and outgoing girl. A real sister.

Two years later, her sister "Jamie" joined us while Jennie was an active member. Jamie was pretty, but she was quiet. This changed. Within a year, she had alienated almost the entire chapter. She really wasn't shy. She was a snob. She joined us b/c we were a top house and her sister's house.

The oldest sister graduated and we were stuck with the younger.

Fast forward a couple more years. Meet Janine. What a witch! Jennie came back to "help" with rush as an alum, and Jamie was an absolute holy terror.

I don't know how the heck this happened, but the two older sisters (remember, one is an ALUM!) manage to HOTBOX their own sister at a rush party!!!!! Not only that but Janine was beautiful, and quiet like the other sister, and had this habit of ignoring you if you said "hello" directly to her face. No one wanted her, but for some reason... we just had no choice.

It was a happy day when she dropped out.

hannahgirl 07-29-2004 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by greencat
Beware the Double In-House Legacy!

Three sisters.... whose names all began with the same letter were a nightmare.

First there was "Jennie"-- a nice, athetic and outgoing girl. A real sister.

Two years later, her sister "Jamie" joined us while Jennie was an active member. Jamie was pretty, but she was quiet. This changed. Within a year, she had alienated almost the entire chapter. She really wasn't shy. She was a snob. She joined us b/c we were a top house and her sister's house.

The oldest sister graduated and we were stuck with the younger.

Fast forward a couple more years. Meet Janine. What a witch! Jennie came back to "help" with rush as an alum, and Jamie was an absolute holy terror.

I don't know how the heck this happened, but the two older sisters (remember, one is an ALUM!) manage to HOTBOX their own sister at a rush party!!!!! Not only that but Janine was beautiful, and quiet like the other sister, and had this habit of ignoring you if you said "hello" directly to her face. No one wanted her, but for some reason... we just had no choice.

It was a happy day when she dropped out.

WOW :eek:

KSUViolet06 08-16-2004 06:58 PM

*bumping cuz I KNOW there are some crazies out there just WAITING for rush to start*

scuthetagirl 08-18-2004 04:48 PM

This past winter in formal rush we had this girl come through who I actually know, I was her orientation leader her freshman year and then a desk receptionist in the building she lived in. I was like, Great, I think she could be total Theta material. Granted, I hadn't had a conversation with her in half a year, but I remembered her being sweet and nice. Well, apparently, she changed a little over that half a year, because although she came to our first two events and was relatively nice, she didn't return for philanthropy or pref. But we had another girl who I knew pretty well coming through rush and she got dropped by Alpha Phi, her first choice and only got invited to two prefs, us and DG. She was going to drop out of rush all together, but a frat friend of ours talked her into sticking it out and not confining herself to only her first choice. He told her she could always drop if she hated pref. Well, she came to both pref nights and even though she likedDG, she had a couple friends in Theta and decided that she wanted to go with us and so suicided (not advisable, but we really wanted her and I think she knew that). Well, the other PNM I was talking about looked at her preference card and was like, "I can't believe you'd want to be in Theta," really rude like that! The nerve, criticizing where someone else wants to be! Apparently she was intent on only going DG, who didn't take her anyway. She ended up with no bid and our new Theta ended up very happy and being voted into a big recruitment position at the end of this year. :)

Glitterkitty 08-21-2004 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CASIGKAP
[FONT=century gothic][COLOR=darkblue]I now have to add mines. This happened during informal this spring. We had a PNM who flat out refused to come to one of the mandatory events for the sorority b/c it was Big Sis Revealing. Her excuse? She had an eye infection. This would be alright if not for the fact that she kept telling us she had a strange medical condition & even gave us the medical term for what she had. We all thought she must be seriously ill until someone looked up what her illness was. She had pink-eye. :rolleyes:

OK, maybe she was bit dramitic and all about using the medical term for pink eye (drama queen award here), but be glad she stayed home. Pink Eye is HIGHLY contagious and sucks to get! It also makes you look really ugly. Maybe she was just too embarrassed to go hang out with her ultra cool and hot sorority sisters looking like the hunchback of notre dame with her big ol' pink eye!

Glitterkitty 08-21-2004 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
She DID tell you the truth, she just used a term you weren't familiar with.

She might not have wanted to broadcast the fact that she has pinkeye... in some areas of the country it's associated with being "trashy" and unclean.

Just a thought and I am probably wrong but MAYBE the girls didn't know what she had was called "pink eye". Maybe the doctor said "you have blah blah blah which is contagious, stay home and take these twice a day" and so that's what she told you? Maybe???

3DeltaSupernova 08-28-2004 10:04 AM

Yesterday was my first day on the other side of recruitment. It was really great to meet so many fun and interesting girls, but as far as weird rush stories go I had two...in one day.

The first was civil and would answer questions directed at her, but during our video highlighting the sisterhood and fun we have together as a chapter she was playing with her keys and cell phone. Rather annoying, but she seems a walk in the park to deal with compared to the girl I had at the next party.

Girl number two had taken her nametag and put it on her arm instead of her top, making it almost impossible to read her name without being obvious...and she didn't offer her name when I introduced myself. During the first five minutes of conversation she proceeded to tell me that she had decided she wanted to be in one of the other two sororities on campus. (Great organizations, but how rude do you have to be to say something like that five minutes into an organization's first day party?) To top it off, she was a runner. I would be trying to converse with her, and she'd just take off...at a rather good clip. I'd have to excuse myself from other conversations we had been members of in order to chase her. At least she stayed still through the video...I don't know what I would have done if she hadn't. And as if all that wasn't enough, during the last ten minutes she returned to her table and asked if she could set her napkins on fire in the table candle. When she left I just wanted to cry, but we had another party yet to go.

At least I've gotten over my fear of recruitment...I've been through the worst they could throw at me. Talking to the girls we've invited back for today should be no problem. (And it's philanthropy day, which our philanthropy is so important to me and I love to explain, so conversation today should be easier.)

Lindz928 08-28-2004 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 3DeltaSupernova
Yesterday was my first day on the other side of recruitment. It was really great to meet so many fun and interesting girls, but as far as weird rush stories go I had two...in one day.

The first was civil and would answer questions directed at her, but during our video highlighting the sisterhood and fun we have together as a chapter she was playing with her keys and cell phone. Rather annoying, but she seems a walk in the park to deal with compared to the girl I had at the next party.

At my campus, the PNMs don't take ANYTHING into the houses with them. Their purses and everything are left outside under the tents, where the Rho Chis watch them. So, no keys, no cell phones. They have to focus on what is going on in the house. Oh, they are also told not to wear watches.

I never thought about it much, but after reading some of these stories, I'm really glad they do that down here.