GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Community Service / Philanthropy (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Philanthropy Recommendations (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=148382)

elizey7 05-27-2015 09:18 PM

Philanthropy Recommendations

Hey,

Is it possible for me to recommend ideas/causes that sororities can partner with? For example, I know that Zeta Pi Omega does philanthropy aimed at women and children. If I found charities that they can work with and help, would it be appropriate for me to recommend that the sorority partner with these charities? If not, what are alternatives?

Thanks

honeychile 05-27-2015 09:28 PM

Of course, you can suggest valid philanthropies. Please realize, though, that most GLOs have a (inter)national philanthropy which they each support.

thetalady 05-27-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizey7 (Post 2316652)
Hey,

Is it possible for me to recommend ideas/causes that sororities can partner with? For example, I know that Zeta Pi Omega does philanthropy aimed at women and children. If I found charities that they can work with and help, would it be appropriate for me to recommend that the sorority partner with these charities? If not, what are alternatives?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean.... are you trying to get other sororities to support charitable causes that you suggest to them? or are you trying to get your OWN sorority to support causes other than the current philanthropy?

AZTheta 05-28-2015 12:26 AM

You aren't yet in a sorority so perhaps you could hold your ideas until that time comes.

elizey7 05-28-2015 04:38 PM

Response

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2316664)
Not sure what you mean.... are you trying to get other sororities to support charitable causes that you suggest to them? or are you trying to get your OWN sorority to support causes other than the current philanthropy?

I am trying to get other sororities to support other charitable causes which I will suggest to them (during the interview process when they ask why I want to join, I will say something along the lines of "I see a lot of potential for this sorority to become national, and I have some great ideas that can perhaps help you reach that goal)

elizey7 05-28-2015 04:38 PM

Response

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2316666)
You aren't yet in a sorority so perhaps you could hold your ideas until that time comes.

I was planning on mentioning the ideas during the interview process

clemsongirl 05-28-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizey7 (Post 2316706)
I am trying to get other sororities to support other charitable causes which I will suggest to them (during the interview process when they ask why I want to join, I will say something along the lines of "I see a lot of potential for this sorority to become national, and I have some great ideas that can perhaps help you reach that goal)

Were the sororities founded with the intent of going national? If they weren't, this would be pretty offensive to say to a sister who joined a local wanting to stay local.

elizey7 05-28-2015 05:42 PM

Response

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2316710)
Were the sororities founded with the intent of going national? If they weren't, this would be pretty offensive to say to a sister who joined a local wanting to stay local.

Their goal is to go national

als463 05-28-2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizey7 (Post 2316706)

Whether or not they want to go national, which I'm not sure how you are privy to that information if you are not a member or in the Greek community, coming in and telling them what they are doing wrong and how you are going to fix them is offensive also.

ColdInCanada11 05-28-2015 06:21 PM

I still wouldn't make suggestions like this until you have joined in some capacity. Even though it might be coming from a right place, it can come off as "you are doing poorly, I know how to do it right"- not the message to send before you have joined.

thetalady 05-28-2015 06:44 PM

Not your circus, not your monkeys.

Keep your well intentioned advice to yourself.

elizey7 05-28-2015 08:14 PM

Response

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 2316715)
Whether or not they want to go national, which I'm not sure how you are privy to that information if you are not a member or in the Greek community, coming in and telling them what they are doing wrong and how you are going to fix them is offensive also.

I know they want to go national because I tried rushing last year and didn't get in, so I am rushing again next term. I would kind of approach the situation like this:

Interviewer: Why do you want to join Zeta Pi Omega?

Me: Well, I know you guys want to go national, and I have some great ideas that will help you get recognized by the NPC, which can possibly start a colony and eventually a chapter.

Interviewer: Really, like what?

Me: Well, I know you guys focus a lot of your philanthropy on women and children, and I think I have some ideas within that category that you can add to that such as X, Y, and Z

ColdInCanada11 05-28-2015 08:50 PM

I completely appreciate your intentions, and I think that philanthropy is absolutely ESSENTIAL to our organisations, but you aren't a member of an NPC organisation- you don't know what they are looking for. Honestly, if you join an organisation, yes, share your ideas! It is never a bad thing to contribute to the community more. However, wait until you are a member to start making suggestions, and recognize that you don't know what an NPC organisation is looking for when they are considering a colonisation.

elizey7 05-28-2015 10:08 PM

I was planning on phrasing this as a leadership opportunity, as I know that leadership is a huge aspect of joining a sorority as well. Since I have stated in other forums on this site that my sorority is local, do you think these strategies could help me get a bid when I rush?

ColdInCanada11 05-28-2015 10:24 PM

Like Clemsongirl said in one of your threads (can't remember which), talk about the philanthropic work you have done! "Potential" work doesn't show that you have done anything, focus on what you have done. No matter if the sorority is local, national, or international, do not make suggestions like that when you are a PNM- you are overstepping boundaries. A good way would be to let them know that you would excited to take part in any philanthropy projects that might come your way! I would also only address the local vs. going national thing if they bring it up themselves.