GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   UGa Recruitment Starting! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=121205)

carnation 08-09-2011 01:43 PM

UGa Recruitment Starting!

University of Georgia recruitment is on the way! Do we have any PNMs out there?

My daughter, who works there, said the sororities are setting out white tents today. She's wearing a Valdosta State Chi O event shirt and has already been grabbed and scolded by a recruitment counselor, who slunk off when she learned that Ballerina is 27.

Does anyone have any final numbers? Insights?

BraveMaroon 08-09-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2077656)
University of Georgia recruitment is on the way! Do we have any PNMs out there?

My daughter, who works there, said the sororities are setting out white tents today. She's wearing a Valdosta State Chi O event shirt and has already been grabbed and scolded by a recruitment counselor, who slunk off when she learned that Ballerina is 27.

Does anyone have any final numbers? Insights?

So, they're at roughly 1450 registered for this year, last I heard.

17 sororities. They predict pledge classes in the 60-70s, as there will be some attrition throughout the week.

I'll offer the same caveat that I've read for Auburn and Alabama.

There are 17 great chapters. Don't listen to your best friend, your neighbor's cousin or the know-it-alls in your Rho Gamma group. The "best" house is the one that loves you for you.

The cuts after first round may take your breath away. Don't let it rattle you. You can go to the max number of parties, but you only take one bid.

I got cut by at least half each round - and I had four great years in the sorority I fell in love with day one.

If you absolutely haaaaaate a chapter, you should still behave as though you're happy to be there. They worked very hard to make a nice party for you, and it's poor form to roll eyes, give one word answers or act as anything other than the lovely person that you are. This is a skill that will come in handy. Cultivate it now.

Remember that most houses at UGA have enough legacies going through to fill their pledge class twice over. Just because your grandmother was a PQR, and your mother was a PQR, and all your cousins are PQRs... doesn't mean you will be too. My roommate in college got dropped from her legacy house after 3rd round and was a multiple legacy. By then, she'd been rude enough about her legacy status that several other chapters had released her for just that.

Trust the system. You will end up where you belong.

Be nice to the Rho Gams - I should have been nicer to mine. But be nice to all the Rho Gams... because you never know who will end up being your sister.

If anything suspicious happens, speak up. Infractions are unfair to you, your fellow PNMs and all seventeen houses.

Have fun. It is something you'll only do once (maybe twice) and it's crazy and wonderful. Enjoy it!!!

carnation 08-09-2011 02:07 PM

That was a fabulous post, BraveMaroon!

AnchorAlumna 08-09-2011 02:18 PM

Excellent post for any school, BraveMaroon!:D

wareagle93 08-09-2011 02:33 PM

My cousin is also going through Sorority Recruitment at UGA. She is very nervous, but very excited! Best of luck to all going through rush at UGA! The people in the UGA greek life system are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

ugamama 08-09-2011 02:41 PM

My daughter has been busy with her sisters preparing for tomorrow. She called last night and said there were 1498 pnm's signed up. She also said she was amazed at the quality of all the girls signed up and that all the houses will end up with great pledge classes.

arrowlady 08-09-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugamama (Post 2077698)
My daughter has been busy with her sisters preparing for tomorrow. She called last night and said there were 1498 pnm's signed up. She also said she was amazed at the quality of all the girls signed up and that all the houses will end up with great pledge classes.

This is exciting news for UGA, good luck to all this week!

sdtennisgal 08-09-2011 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=BraveMaroon;2077671]

If you absolutely haaaaaate a chapter, you should still behave as though you're happy to be there. They worked very hard to make a nice party for you, and it's poor form to roll eyes, give one word answers or act as anything other than the lovely person that you are. This is a skill that will come in handy. Cultivate it now.

PNM's: Follow that advice! Be aware, sisters have friends outside their own chapters. Not every chapter is for every PNM, but if you are trying to get Chapter XYZ to drop you by being unpleasant, realize that a sister in XYZ may have a good friend from ABC (where you really want to join). Should they be communicating about anti-social behavior at their parties...no...will they? In this day of text-messaging it can easily happen. I could share a story from my generation, but I will be discreet. Be civil. You never know how a bad impression can come back to haunt you. Just because a member is in a sorority you don't want to join doesn't mean she is not going to be an officer in an organization you join, or worse yet, the person you work for in ten years.

My additional advice: Don't look at the girls in your group as competition, but as a support group during the process. If you see somebody really down, give some support-even if you are on cloud nine with your invite list.

Have fun!

carnation 08-09-2011 03:26 PM

Oh, that one's good too!

BraveMaroon 08-09-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdtennisgal (Post 2077716)
Be civil. You never know how a bad impression can come back to haunt you. Just because a member is in a sorority you don't want to join doesn't mean she is not going to be an officer in an organization you join, or worse yet, the person you work for in ten years.

Have fun!

Good points - to say nothing of the fact that there will be sorority members in your classes for the next four years.

My senior year, I got paired on a class project with the President of Kappa Alpha Theta, where I had been a legacy - and we ended up meeting at the Theta house. I joked with her that after getting cut four years before, I was finally getting my house tour! She could not have been more gracious and showed me the whole place.

And, I really hate to say this - but your Rho Gams are listening. If you're a big enough jerk, would they consider a discreet text back to their house to give them a heads-up? I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibility.

MemphisDGDawg 08-09-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveMaroon (Post 2077671)

The cuts after first round may take your breath away. Don't let it rattle you. You can go to the max number of parties, but you only take one bid.

I got cut by at least half each round - and I had four great years in the sorority I fell in love with day one.

All this. I remember sitting next to my cousin when we were given our party lists for round 2. She had a full list. Me? half. It hurts, but stick it out.

Ditto on good behavior. I can tell some horror stories about mean girls coming through--don't think chapters don't talk to each other!

Xidelt 08-09-2011 06:05 PM

Wow! 1500 girls registered? Is that a slight increase over previous years? Good luck to all the pnms!

AOIIalum 08-09-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveMaroon (Post 2077728)
My senior year, I got paired on a class project with the President of Kappa Alpha Theta, where I had been a legacy - and we ended up meeting at the Theta house. I joked with her that after getting cut four years before, I was finally getting my house tour! She could not have been more gracious and showed me the whole place.

What a great story, BraveMaroon. Yet another illustration that you just never know what the future holds!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveMaroon (Post 2077728)
And, I really hate to say this - but your Rho Gams are listening. If you're a big enough jerk, would they consider a discreet text back to their house to give them a heads-up? I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Don't hate to say it, because it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility. Be the PNM that everyone remembers because you were so pleasant and cheerful to be around, whether or not you're happy to be at a party or it's the last place on earth you think that you want to be then!

UGAalum94 08-09-2011 08:07 PM

I wrote a ton of RIFs, and I hope each and every PNM has a great experience.

BeachMom 08-09-2011 08:17 PM

I am the parent of an upperclassman PNM going through recruitment at UGA. I attended the family session today. There are one thousand four hundred ninety two (1,492) young women going through rush. I use the word rush because there is no way one can recruit through those numbers. There are 194 upper classmen participating. Last year my daughter was part of the 4.2% that were "released from recruitment". She happened to get her phone call at 2:30 a.m. the morning of 3rd round. Every girl that goes through rush has outstanding grades...it is UGA after all and they ALL have outstanding grades, extra curriculas, and I imagine some have found a way to solve world hunger thus making them an outstanding addition to any of the houses. Recs are a given (I'm sure there are a few that will pledge and that house will be working the midnight shift to secure a rec, etc.) And of course there are more than enough legacies. It was my daughter's decision last year to go through the process and I applaud her gutsy efforts to subject herself to 6 a.m. wakeups once again. She is interested in the Greek community for all of the positive reasons and does not have the need to be in a certain house. I'm just praying to the Lord above that he hears the desires of her heart!!