GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   TV character wearing real life sorority merchandise (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247990)

Titchou 10-27-2021 08:03 PM

Oh and yes, Elle in Legally Blond is a Delta Gamma as the book was written by a DG.

naraht 10-28-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2487640)
Oh and yes, Elle in Legally Blond is a Delta Gamma as the book was written by a DG.

But in the movie, she is a Delta *Nu* to avoid issues.

LXA SE285 10-28-2021 03:54 PM

A Different World used to show Hillman students wearing NPHC gear.

Titchou 10-28-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2487647)
But in the movie, she is a Delta *Nu* to avoid issues.

Which also happens to a DG chapter name

naraht 10-28-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2487653)

Unless it is the one where the sister who wrote the book attended, I'm not sure that it means anything. I would expect that most if not all NPC sororities that use the common (alpha -> omega, alpha alpha ...) ordering would have a Delta Nu chapter. Picking another NPC sorority, sort of at random, Phi Sigma Sigma's Delta Nu chapter is at Iona College.

knight_shadow 10-28-2021 08:01 PM

From the show production side, apparently they got approval from I/HQ (not sure if AKA uses that term) to use their likeness, but the blowback is from some membership.

I'm curious if that's accurate, but that's AKA business and I'm sure they'll handle things if proper protocol wasn't followed.

NinjaPoodle 10-28-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LXA SE285 (Post 2487652)
A Different World used to show Hillman students wearing NPHC gear.

The extras wearing the NPHC gear were respective members of the orgs.

Titchou 10-29-2021 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2487654)
Unless it is the one where the sister who wrote the book attended, I'm not sure that it means anything. I would expect that most if not all NPC sororities that use the common (alpha -> omega, alpha alpha ...) ordering would have a Delta Nu chapter. Picking another NPC sorority, sort of at random, Phi Sigma Sigma's Delta Nu chapter is at Iona College.

As a DG, I can say we all found that interesing. However, we can see where others didn't. I was speaking from a DG perspective.

naraht 10-29-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2487666)
As a DG, I can say we all found that interesing. However, we can see where others didn't. I was speaking from a DG perspective.

Appreciated. Delta Nu chapter of Delta Gamma is at Northern Illinois University, I believe.

DeltaEmi88 10-30-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookiez17 (Post 2487625)
Tri Delta had a SNL skit to their name (which is a classic to me anyway.) Why didn't they just make up a "fake" greek org to avoid all of this like they did in Legally Blonde and other movies?

Quote:

Perhaps with the SNL skit, for example, they had permission from Tri Delta?

When that skit aired, Tri Delta was NOT happy about it occurring, and no permission was given. In fact, it was difficult to find video of the skit for a long time because of the backlash. There's an article that was written around the time the skit aired that explains more about Executive Office's reactions. Honestly, the end is what makes me angry about it, simply because the writers and actresses have a dismissive and disrespectful take on the whole thing. https://www.thedp.com/article/1992/0..._over_snl_skit

That being said, when it comes to the use of NPHC letters in this situation, I'm not qualified to comment. I would prefer to stick to what I know, which is my organization's policies and attitudes on matters like this. I will leave the commentary up to NPHC members.

AGDee 10-30-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

And the screenwriter was an Alpha Gam. We also have a Delta Nu chapter, but the screenwriter is from our Delta Theta chapter.

ASTalumna06 10-31-2021 12:34 AM

ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA SORORITY DIRECTOR PLANNING TO TAKE ACTION AFTER AKA LOGO WORN BY ACTRESS

https://www.blackenterprise.com/alph...rn-by-actress/

Quote:

Well, it looks like Issa Rae and the “Insecure” show creators might have a lawsuit on their hands for including the official AKA shield in their season 5 premiere episode.

Amid pink and green backlash over Amanda Seales’ character Tiffany DuBois wearing official AKA paraphernalia in the episode, the organization’s executive director is speaking out and asking her sorors to let them handle it.

“WE WERE MADE AWARE OF THE UNAUTHORIZED USE OF OUR BRAND ON THE HBO SHOW INSECURE EARLY YESTERDAY MORNING (MONDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2021) AND ARE TAKING STEPS TO PROTECT OUR BRAND,” AKA SORORITY INC. EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR CYNTHIA D. HOWELL SAID IN A STATEMENT.

“Please allow the corporate office to handle this matter. We all have a duty to protect our brand. You can do your part by refraining from engaging with anyone involved with the show or with anyone, including other sorors, on social media about this matter. Thank you for your continued assistance and cooperation.”

jolene 11-08-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

I remember an interview with her that she pledged twice but never initiated. Perhaps one of our DGs can clear this up?

Cheerio 11-08-2021 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolene (Post 2487757)
I remember an interview with her that she pledged twice but never initiated. Perhaps one of our DGs can clear this up?

Do you mean Reese Witherspoon? I recall one interview she gave (possibly on Tonight Show with Jay Leno) she said she never pledged any group, even though she grew up around people to whom joining the right Delta Delta Delta chapter Down South meant the world (pretty sure she used the 3D group name).

jolene 11-09-2021 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheerio (Post 2487758)
Do you mean Reese Witherspoon? I recall one interview she gave (possibly on Tonight Show with Jay Leno) she said she never pledged any group, even though she grew up around people to whom joining the right Delta Delta Delta chapter Down South meant the world (pretty sure she used the 3D group name).

I was referring to the author of the "Legally Blonde" book Amanda Brown.