GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   A Live SNL Recruitment Story (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=152670)

blazer19 08-10-2015 07:36 PM

A Live SNL Recruitment Story

After reading so many great recruitment stories I thought I would share my own as it’s happening next week!

My university has four sororities and one colonizing after formal recruitment. I’m a big fan of SNL so I will use former and current members of the cast as code for each sorority.
Tina Fey
Kristen Wiig
Bill Hader
Seth Meyers
Cecily Strong (colony)

Recruitment starts in one week and I’ve already been talking to girls in my Pi Chi group. I’ve also been to two pre-rush events where actives from all four chapters were there to tell us about their sororities and gave us a chance to ask questions which was a nice introduction to each chapter and will keep me from asking overly simple questions during the rounds. Based on the girls I’ve already met, I would be happy in absolutely any of the chapters on campus or colonizing with Cecily Strong. I move in on Saturday and can’t wait for recruitment to start!

carnation 08-10-2015 07:41 PM

One of my daughters goes to your university! She didn't rush, though.

blazer19 08-10-2015 07:58 PM

small world! I was reading one of your threads and thought you might have a daughter at my school.

carnation 08-10-2015 08:05 PM

LOL, sometimes it seemed like I had a daughter at most schools. Well, she's heavily into recreation and science courses,working full time, and enjoying the local activities where y'all are. No time for Greek life. :(

Sen's Revenge 08-10-2015 11:41 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/63c6fb09e...0ooxo1_500.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...-awkwardly.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/759d56a60...rpi7o2_500.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/tV8guWKv8qpq0/giphy.gif

http://cdn2.crushable.com/wp-content...ly-strong1.gif

blazer19 08-18-2015 03:26 PM

Recruitment starts tonight and I am so excited but also really nervous! I have decided I will be posting my story a few days delayed just because our schedule is pretty busy but I will still be writing it in real time.

ladybug12 08-18-2015 07:58 PM

Good Luck..and have FUN!!!!

blazer19 08-19-2015 12:18 AM

We got back earlier than I thought so I figured I would post tonight! Today was philanthropy rounds and we also saw a presentation from Cecily Strong.

Tina Fey: As soon as Tina Fey opened the doors I got chills. I walked in and was met by an active. She asked the standard name, major, hometown questions. She asked why I wanted to go through recruitment and I explained that I went to an extremely small high school and thought a sorority would make the campus feel smaller and she told me that’s the same reason she went through recruitment too. She got super nervous after telling me about their philanthropy which hit really close to home for me but I was able to ask her some of the same questions she had already asked me which helped a lot. I felt so bad because I was the first girl she ever rushed and she almost started crying but it really never got super awkward. I mostly just felt bad that she was freaking out. After I talked to her they all sang songs about Tina Fey while we watched a video about their philanthropy work. I had a really fun time here and I had a feeling that I could see myself being part of their sisterhood.

Kristen Wiig: I was really looking forward to Kristen Wiig but was a bit disappointed. The first girl I talked to was really laid back so I felt comfortable talking to her. While we were talking a few girls I already know in the chapter came up and said hey which was nice but it kind of seemed fake. After I talked to the first girl I was bumped to another girl who was really awkward and didn’t have much to say to me. I also didn’t get to know much about their philanthropy which I thought was weird.

Bill Hader: I really enjoyed my time with Bill Hader. They were all very personable and the main girl I talked to has a similar major as me so we had a good conversation about what we want to do with our degrees. She also told be about something her chapter president has started organizing which was almost directly related to my major and it definitely got me excited. They also showed a slide show of their volunteer and philanthropy events and they sang and danced while it was played. They were all so excited and jumped so much the floor was shaking. I got chills here too and thought I could definitely see myself in their chapter.

Seth Meyers: The door stack Seth Meyers did was really cute so that got me excited to walk in. When we walked in there was someone holding a sign with our name on it which I thought was a really personal touch. The first girl I talked to was kind of awkward and we didn’t have the best conversation but we kept it going. Then they did a short presentation on their philanthropy which felt more like a lecture. We also watched a little intro video and the girl I was talking to mentioned that she loved how they have their motto in the video and I didn’t really know how to respond. The girl I got bumped to didn’t really have enough time to get in a good conversation because we had to leave pretty shortly after that. I still had a really good time and definitely wouldn’t mind knowing more about them.

Cecily Strong: Cecily Strong gave a talk about their sorority and how the colonization process would go. They also stressed they don’t want anyone to drop out of formal recruitment because they cannot guarantee a bid through colony recruitment.

I was nervous going into the first party tonight but once it started I felt so good and was too excited to be nervous. My recruitment counselor and I had a talk before I ranked them and she helped me work through some things. I knew which two I wanted to go back to the most but was a little cloudy on the other two because I still loved them both and wanted to keep going back to see if my opinion changed. Here’s how I ranked them:

1. Tina Fey
1. Bill Hader
1. Kristen Wiig
2. Seth Meyers

Honestly I would be happy to go to any of them tomorrow for sisterhood rounds. I’m so excited I chose to go through the process and truly enjoyed myself tonight. I think I would be happy absolutely anywhere at this point.

APhiLife 08-20-2015 11:21 AM

Yeah! Can't wait to read the rest of your story. Good luck!

33girl 08-20-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer19 (Post 2326859)

Kristen Wiig: I was really looking forward to Kristen Wiig but was a bit disappointed.

It's funny, this is exactly how I feel about Kristen Wiig as a performer. LOL

Glad you are having such a great time!

blazer19 08-22-2015 11:00 AM

I prefer not to go into too many details right now but I withdrew from recruitment after preference round. I was dropped by everyone except Kristen Wiig and did not have a connection with them. I was heartbroken to be dropped by Tina Fey. I do have an unusual circumstance for rush which is that my parties had to be cut short at times because of university sponsored events I had to attend. My Pi Chi, who turned out to be a Tina Fey, said she firmly believes that's what happened and said she would let me know if COB occurs this fall and if not she will make sure I know about informal recruitment. I know I found a home in Tina Fey but I truly believe the timing wasn't right.

ChioLu 08-22-2015 11:25 AM

I hope you're able to check out Cecily strong and see if the colony would be an opportunity for you,

blazer19 08-22-2015 11:39 AM

I plan to go to an interest meeting for Cecily Strong in a few weeks. I will continue updating my story. I truly believe I will find my home in the greek community when the time is right.

AmoXO 08-22-2015 11:18 PM

Good luck, Blazer!!!!

IndianaSigKap 08-22-2015 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer19 (Post 2327705)
I plan to go to an interest meeting for Cecily Strong in a few weeks. I will continue updating my story. I truly believe I will find my home in the greek community when the time is right.

Yes, please do check out Cecily Strong! ;) It has a great philanthropy and is doing great things for that cause.