GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Do you feel you're getting uglier as you grow older? I do and I feel like sh*t! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=22491)

Curiousgirl 08-23-2002 05:53 AM

justamom 08-23-2002 06:58 AM

Just think-
You're not as cute as you were 5 years ago, but you're cuter than you will be five years from now!:D

Kevin 08-23-2002 07:50 AM

oooo words of encouragement there!

Moochagoo 08-23-2002 07:58 AM

I believe that when you're in school, if one guy says a girl is pretty, all of a sudden the other guys will agree, it's like a chain effect. they all want to chase after one girl only because it becomes a competition thing. And plus, school ground is so much more compacted people see you everyday, they grow to like your face, or they know your personality etc. even if you weren't that attractive in the first place, people can see your inner beauty.

now that you are older, like when you go to clubs, they are all strangers to you. they know nothing about you and there are so much more girls around in the real world than just in high school. U're probably not ugly, it's just that the world and choices have expanded for you and everyone else. :)

juniorgrrl 08-23-2002 08:28 AM

I've actually gotten much better looking as I've gotten older :)

AOX81 08-23-2002 08:52 AM

I would say that my looks are on the decline. I don't have as much time as I used to and now I roll out of bed and go to work.

justamom 08-23-2002 08:53 AM

ktsnake-oooo words of encouragement there!

LOL! Yes, I read a facsimile of tht this a.m. It struck me so funny and alas so true...

Juniorgrrl-I cleared my box-SORRY!

Have you ever noticed that often, girls that are late bloomers end up the most beautiful, striking women?

Many of the girls who were considered "darling" in HS seem to lose it, others, just blossom.

Moochagoo-I agree with you.

Unregistered- 08-23-2002 08:57 AM

Granted, I was 20 pounds lighter in high school and my body structure was more ideal than it is now...but I'm happy because I'm finally "developed". ;)

I know how you feel though. I went through the same thing--the guys don't line up like they used to, so if a guy calls me beautiful, it's a compliment that's hard to take. I usually call him a crackhead for saying such a thing...either that or he has his beer goggles on.

I think it's just a phase that you'll eventually grow out of. I was dreading my 23rd birthday this year, but I got over it after a while. Enjoy life now and don't worry about how it was before. You see life differently now and it's much more "real" than it used to be--and that's a great thing, because you finally can appreciate things for what they're worth.

Dionysus 08-23-2002 09:27 AM

Nope, I'm getting cuter each day.

RedRoseSAI 08-23-2002 10:07 AM

I'd have to agree with Moochagoo - the atmosphere at a campus bar or party is much different than that of a random club in the city. There's a lot less flirting going on, and people pretty much just talk to the people they came with. I'm sure it has nothing to do with you.

I have to say, I'm happier with myself at 26 than I was at 18. Granted, there are about 10 pounds which have attached themselves to my thighs and rear, but other than that, I look a lot better now. I think part of it is that I'm now better educated on what clothes really look good on me, and what styles, cuts, and colors I should skip. I wasn't nearly so discriminating when I was "younger".

And for the record, I take compliments whenever I can get them. The other day as I was crossing the street, a car slowed down and the guy (older) in it said "lookin' niiiiiice" out the window. I just gave him a little smile and went about my business. ;)

FuzzieAlum 08-23-2002 11:31 AM

Exactly, RedRose! I know what looks good on me (some of those h.s. pictures are embarrassing!), and I think I have more confidence than I did then.

I think there's something to the fact that guys are getting more confident, too, and they've figured out what kind of girls they really want. They don't feel the need to say, "Everyone else likes her, so I should, too."

I bet the number of men who *really* like you (not just think they are supposed to) is the same - and after all, those are the ones who really want anyway!

ZTAngel 08-23-2002 01:00 PM

I think that I am much happier with myself now than I was when I was younger. But, maybe that's just because the older I've gotten the more self-assured I've become. If you're confident with yourself, it'll show. You'll feel more beautiful and therefore look more beautiful.

MoxieGrrl 08-23-2002 01:25 PM

hmm.....I definitely think that I'm hotter now. When I was in HS, I was Eating Disorder Girl, which was unattractive on so many levels.

Then I got all of that lovely freshman weight packed onto my hips and thighs and cheeks.

Now, I eat healthier, work a lot , and exercise, so I'm in pretty good shape!

My attitude and confidence is much better than it used to be before...and I swear inner beauty does make the outside look better. :D

valkyrie 08-23-2002 01:51 PM

I look much better than I did when I was younger!

Apparently I look young for my age (although I'm not *that* old) and people usually guess that I'm 6 or 7 years younger than I am. However, like others have said, with age comes a few things -- confidence, better fashion sense, better hair, and for me at least, better shape because I never used to work out and now I do all the time. I get much, much, MUCH more attention from guys than I did when I was in college.

And curiousgirl -- you're probably a hottie, and guys might be intimidated by you at clubs. Stuff like that happens all the time. You should make the first move if you see someone interesting!! :)

KappaStargirl 08-23-2002 03:01 PM

To answer your question, no. I am MUCH more attractive now, I feel, than I was 10 years ago. Some of you may know I had breast reduction surgery at 20...well, know you ALL know :) but anyway when I was in high school I was so embarrassed by the size of my chest that I didn't bother doing much else with the rest of my body. I had boyfriends and all (who didn't date me for the size of my chest, they were long-term), but I was embarrassed by my appearance. Since the surgery, I've changed my whole outlook. I can now exercise and stand up straight and wear fashionable clothes, and I've gotten more into taking good care of myself. Guys hit on me much more now, because I'm much more self-confident.

sigmagrrl 08-23-2002 03:11 PM

I can say that I am DEFINITELY better looking now, and every day I get better looking. Some of you have mentioned that you were thinner. Well, I wasn't! I was huge, obese all my life. I am down 237lbs, losing more very day. I exercise religiously, know what looks good on me, and feel more confident now than I did in HS and college. Granted, I have a ways to go to be in love with myself like I should be, but I hope by 30 to be a GODDESS!!!!!:)

Peaches-n-Cream 08-23-2002 06:57 PM

I think that I still look the same. At my sorority reunion, I was told that I look the same as I did ten years ago which they said is a good thing. :D My secret: I always use moisturizer with sunblock even in the winter.
Fashion, makeup, and hair change over time, but if you keep up to date you can look good. It's funny to look at pictures from the late 1980's and early 1990's and see how much you have changed. :)

shopgirl 08-24-2002 01:55 AM

This is so funny b/c I was thinking about this the other day. For me it's not so much a "am I better looking or not". It's that I can see myself aging. I actually look young for my age. I'm 25. Just the other day someone at work said they thought I was 19! When I went to Indiana a week ago, the people I met thought I was younger as well. That makes me happy, no doubt. However, I see the crows feet when I smile and sometimes when I'm not smiling. It's just so strange. It's strange to really comprehend that you are aging everyday.

I do feel better about myself than I ever have. I eat better then I ever did and I work out regulary. I too take care of my skin and wear sunscreen everyday, all year long. I try to keep myself educated on what is good and bad for your body, inside and out.
This would also include the way you think, feel, etc.

Anyway girlfriend, I feel ya. Hopefully it's just a phase, or mini-phases, and they'll quickly pass. Just try to keep a positive out look.

I have a question...

Do any of you feel really good about yourselves, think you're attractive, etc. then you look at a certain picture/pictures and go, "ugh, I'm not as pretty as I feel I am"? It's as though I see/feel myself to be one way, but when I see the wrong picture I see something different.

QUICK FUNNY... It reminds me of Elaine on Seinfeld when she asks, "Is it possible that I'm not as attractive as I think I am?"...

justamom 08-24-2002 06:38 AM

shopgirl!-QUICK FUNNY... It reminds me of Elaine on Seinfeld when she asks, "Is it possible that I'm not as attractive as I think I am?"... :D LOL!!!

When you get MY age those "pictures" you refer to come so FREQUENTLY!

There was a scene in SOAP, (If anyone can remember) where Jessica, an attractive but older woman, was planning an affair. She and her sister Mary, discussed and TRIED different "poses" where less of her would SAG!

Ummmm, not so funny NOW eh??? (I think to myself :eek: )

Rudey 08-24-2002 12:58 PM

Ladies

Ladies, you know how you wanted older men when you were younger because they were more "mature"?

-Rudey
--Guys get mature, women get old.

valkyrie 08-24-2002 01:04 PM

I like the younger guys. Always have.

-valkyrie
--Guys get boring, women get sexy.

chantillylace55 08-24-2002 01:08 PM

i'm with valkyrie - its all about younger guys!;)

damasa 08-24-2002 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by valkyrie

yea, younger guys rule.

Rudey 08-24-2002 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by valkyrie

-valkyrie
--Guys get boring, women get sexy.

We were always boring...thank you.

-Rudey
--Boring = Sophisticated in time.

Rudey 08-24-2002 02:22 PM

Dumb

There are so many girls that are good looking; what makes one different from the others? Just because a guy wants something specific and doesn't go out with you, then that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with you. And if you're looking for cat calls, I highly doubt a few years have done that much to make you "ugly".

-Rudey
--What school has a 7:3 ratio of hot girls to guys???

chantillylace55 08-24-2002 02:25 PM

that would be the university of san diego. woo woo!

xoxo,
chantillylace

KillarneyRose 08-24-2002 10:16 PM

LOL, I just discovered this thread!

Hmmm, I don't think I've gotten uglier since I've gotten older but it's hard to tell because when I look back at my college pictures I can't really see my face behind the purple eyeshadow, sparkly blush and big "poof" of hair I had permanently falling over my right eye!

I guess the difference is back then I was "made-up" pretty and now I'm more natural looking since now I just usually throw on some Chapstick and mascara and am out the door.

Know what's weird though? I get "carded" now more than I did when I was in my twenties! :eek:

valkyrie 08-24-2002 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Know what's weird though? I get "carded" now more than I did when I was in my twenties! :eek:
LOL!!! I get carded all the time, and it cracks me up every time. The other day at the grocery store, the checkout guy thought I was 19. I couldn't stop laughing for about 10 minutes.

DeltaSigStan 08-24-2002 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chantillylace55
that would be the university of san diego. woo woo!

xoxo,
chantillylace

Kinda like the 3:1 girl ratio at San Diego State University

chantillylace55 08-24-2002 10:39 PM

stan-

does sdsu have 3:1 girl to guy ratio, or 3:1 guy to girl ratio?

xoxo
chantillylace

DeltaSigStan 08-24-2002 10:45 PM

3 girls to every guy

shopgirl 08-25-2002 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KillarneyRose
LOL, I just discovered this thread!

Hmmm, I don't think I've gotten uglier since I've gotten older but it's hard to tell because when I look back at my college pictures I can't really see my face behind the purple eyeshadow, sparkly blush and big "poof" of hair I had permanently falling over my right eye!

I guess the difference is back then I was "made-up" pretty and now I'm more natural looking since now I just usually throw on some Chapstick and mascara and am out the door.

I get carded a lot too. I'm 25 and I love it!!!

About being made up...I definitely go for the natural look too. I do find that the more make up I wear, the older (I feel) I look...and I don't like it...so I don't wear much of it...:)

annice22 09-02-2002 07:23 PM

I don't

I feel like I'm getting prettier. My profile has gotten really prettier too.

librasoul22 09-02-2002 09:35 PM

You shouldn't let attention from guys determine your self-worth (although it certainly doesn't hurt ;) )

I think I look WAY better than I did in high school. Although I had boyfriends, I was a total tomboy/athelete. Since I graduated, I stopped playing organized sports and discovered my feminine side, lol.

Basically, if you carry yourself with conifdence, it will shine through and guys will be more attracted to you. If you carry yourself with the mindset that guys are not attracted to you, they won't be. No matter what, just be comfortable and confident in yourself.

Steeltrap 09-02-2002 09:52 PM

No way do I feel uglier

I'm nearly 38, and I enjoy how I look as I get older. I've gained quite a bit of weight, but I like the womanly curves and the fullness.

My hairstyle's flattering, I dress in tasteful clothing (we're talking Upper East Side-twinset-pearls-classics. Absolutely no prostitute-esque gear), I've got refined manners and I still look fairly young -- I get carded when I go to certain liquor stores.
:D

On the other hand, I'm also still very single. Perhaps being polished is intimidating to some men, but oh well.

Kevin 09-03-2002 08:44 AM

Don't know about ugly but I'm 23 and still active (couldn't decide on major)... Damn that makes you feel old! And really not that much older.... But these brothers-to-be that we're recruiting right now grew up in essentially a different era. GI-Joe and He-Man were non-factors in their childhood!