GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Academics (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   GPA Minimum question!! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=131023)

riley_starke 12-21-2012 06:34 PM

GPA Minimum question!!

At my school the GPA minimum is a 2.5 and one of my sisters has exactly a 2.52. She is worried that she won't able to be social or be active next semester. However, since she met the minimum requirement I don't think she should worry.

I know most schools require a 2.5 minimum. How does it work at your school? Do sisters need to be above a 2.5 or is a 2.5 fine to remain active with no privileges taken away?

Please help meeee!!!!!

Thanks! :)

thetalady 12-21-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riley_starke (Post 2194483)
At my school the GPA minimum is a 2.5 and one of my sisters has exactly a 2.52. She is worried that she won't able to be social or be active next semester. However, since she met the minimum requirement I don't think she should worry.

I know most schools require a 2.5 minimum. How does it work at your school? Do sisters need to be above a 2.5 or is a 2.5 fine to remain active with no privileges taken away?

Thanks! :)

We really have no idea. Minimum GPA for privileges depends on your GLO's minimum requirements. That number may be higher than the GPA required by your university to remain in good standing. She needs to ask the appropriate chapter officer about the minimum GPA requirements for your organization.

At a 2.52, she may NEED to be on some kind of probationary status from your sorority or the University to help make sure that she buckles down and gets her grades up.

ree-Xi 12-22-2012 02:28 PM

Funny, your other thread was titled "Am I in good standing".

I love when people lie and can't keep their stories straight.

WCsweet<3 12-22-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riley_starke (Post 2194483)

Isn't there some rule that doesn't allow institutions to require a minimum GPA? Or is that only for recruitment?

Each chapter/organization has different rules for GPA. The chapter at my university had a different GPA requirement than the chapter at the neighboring university. I believe my chapter requires above a 2.75 now, but I'm a few years out and can't remember. There were talks of raising it when I was a senior.

Reese57 12-22-2012 04:14 PM

I have a 2.49 and I wanna know the same

greekdee 12-22-2012 04:43 PM

"Minimum" means the lowest something can be and still be acceptable. If YOUR chapter's minimum GPA is a 2.5, then a 2.52 should keep you active -- but you're on a slippery slope there, so I'd be putting academics before sorority social life.

As for the 2.49, you're just under the acceptable mark, assuming 2.5 is also the minimum for your particular chapter. Usually, the probation doesn't exclude you from meetings, but costs you your voting rights. This, though, depends on your chapter's policy for such things. Hopefully, they have study hours, sister -tutoring and other resources to help members whose GPA's have slipped. Buckle down and commit to getting your GPA up. You'll survive a semester of probation, you really will. :)

greekdee 12-22-2012 04:48 PM

Reese 57 -- I just saw your other thread and it sounds like you're hoping to pledge NPHC fraternity. Sorry, this thread was started by someone asking about her NPC sorority, so I assumed you were referring to the same.

You might want to post your question under Fraternity Recruitment, where some men familiar with Omega and NPHC can better advise you.