GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Recruitment Glossary (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=17375)

LeslieAGD 04-23-2002 05:41 PM

Recruitment Glossary

Since we have a lot of newer GC members and are probably going to have a wealth of people coming here for recruitment advice, let's start a "Recruitment Glossary" of words/terms to know:

Bid: an invitation to join an organization
National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) : the governing body of sororities in the United States and Canada composed of delegates from 26 recognized women’s social fraternities
New Member: a member of an organization who has not yet been initiated
Pan-Hellenic : the governing body of national, historically African-American sororities and fraternities
Post Office: times when potential new members will meet with Recruitment Counselors to accept invitations for the next round of parties.
Potential New Member (PNM) : a prospective Greek member who is attending recruitment parties as a registered guest and has fulfilled all eligibility requirements
Preference (Pref): the last invitational round in Formal/Structured Recruitment
Quota: the number of new members that may join each sorority based on the number of women accepting invitations to
Invitational Round II divided by the number of sororities participating in Formal/Structured Recruitment
Recruitment Counselor (Rho Chi, Rho Alpha): a Panhellenic representative who has completely deaffiliated from her sorority in order to assist potential new members by offering objective advise and support during the Formal/Structured Recruitment process
Suicide (Interntional Single Preference): putting down only one sorority on your Formal/Structured Recruitment bid card

Add more as you think of them or ask questions about terms here. :)

FuzzieAlum 04-23-2002 06:15 PM

I've never heard of Post Office, but here's a few more:

Ceiling: The maximum number of women a chapter can have, although it can go over this number by taking in up to quota in a formal rush pledge class.

COB (Continuous Open Bidding), aka Informal: A (more or less) unstructured rush held at any time other than during formal rush by sororities that are not at ceiling and would like to pledge more women.

No-frills: Formal rush system where costumes, elaborate foods, skits, etc. are forbidden at all or most rounds.

Cut: When a sorority either does not invite a woman back to further parties, or the rushee does not go back to a house she was invited to.

Legacy: Definitions vary slightly depending on the sorority, but generally a mother, daughter, neice, grand-daughter, step-whatever, etc. of an initiated sister/alumna. Sorority rules sometimes dictate she cannot be cut from the first round of parties; if she is cut, national HQ will generally inform the family member.

Oh yeah, and NPC has officially ended the use of the term Rho Chi, but you know it's not going to disappear anytime soon!

AXWhoah 04-23-2002 07:10 PM

At my school suicide is a no-no word. We say SIP, or single intentional preference. But as Recruitment Counselers we're not supposed to even talk about it cause we don't want to encourage it. Also we're not allowed to use the word "dorm" anymore, they're residence halls.....There is such a thing as too PC....

Lisa Fishman 04-23-2002 08:24 PM

Snap bid: A sorority can bid on someone on their list following after all PNM are placed from their bid list. I think that is correct. Someone please correct me if I'm not. Thanks.

LeslieAGD 04-23-2002 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa Fishman
Snap bid: A sorority can bid on someone on their list following after all PNM are placed from their bid list. I think that is correct. Someone please correct me if I'm not. Thanks.
This is correct, but just to clarify...A snap bid is given to a PNM who was not placed during bid matching. The PNM would be on XYZ sorority's list, but that PNM did not list XYZ on her bid card. On my campus, snap bids are not offered to PNMs who suicide.

SigmaTrue 04-24-2002 12:57 AM

recruitment vs rush

do you all still refer to recruitment as rush? on my campus, you would be fined for calling it that during recruitment. in fact, in my chapter, we never even call it "rush" in casual conversation among ourselves. what's it like where you are?:confused:

Peaches-n-Cream 04-24-2002 01:21 AM

Good glossary! I was given a list like this when I went through rush, I mean recruitment, and lived in the dorm, I mean residence hall. :p :D

ilovemyglo 04-24-2002 01:36 AM

Snap Bids at my school can be given to any woman that attended at least the first round of parties and met your house, but dropped out of rush for whatever reason. It is also for women who did not match. You can't snap bid a girl that your chapter cut, though, it must be someone that cut you.

aggieAXO 04-24-2002 03:04 AM

How would you define cross cutting? This happened to me and I was told that my first preference had me on their second list and my second choice had me on their first bid list.

RockChalk 04-24-2002 08:41 AM

Quote:

Also we're not allowed to use the word "dorm" anymore, they're residence halls.....There is such a thing as too PC....
When I was a frosh and living in the dorms... er, rez halls, we were told that a dorm and a rez hall are actually two different things. A dorm is just the place that you live, but a rez hall is supposed to foster a sense of community.

Of course, knowing the distinction didn't stop us from calling it a dorm...

carnation 04-24-2002 09:03 AM

AggieAXO, you have it down right about cross-cutting. We weren't allowed to mention that in front of the PNMs, though. I suppose that the dean didn't want them to suspect that something like that could happen but y'know, hiding it is stupid! It does happen! Maybe this is one reason that quota plus was instituted.

AZ-AlphaXi 04-24-2002 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by aggieAXO
How would you define cross cutting? This happened to me and I was told that my first preference had me on their second list and my second choice had me on their first bid list.
"cross cutting" happens during bid matching and isn't really cutting at all. What happens is that the PNM was not on the first bid list of any of her stated preferences and each of them reached quota prior to reaching her name of their second bid list. This results in the PNM not getting a bid thus the application of the term "cut".

FuzzieAlum 04-24-2002 12:13 PM

Can someone explain quota plus? I heard about that for the first time at UW; it wasn't something we did at my school. The only way anyone got over quota at my school was they got quota via formal and then snap bid a few more girls since they weren't at ceiling (but this didn't actually happen since only the largest chapters would get quota and then they were at/over ceiling).

LeslieAGD 04-24-2002 12:57 PM

FuzzieAlum, at my school some groups are allowed to take "quota plus" during bid matching. First the sororities do the basic bid matching and afterward they look at all the girls that didn't match. If Patty the PNM didn't match anyone and XYZ has her on their A List, XYZ can offer her a snap bid even though they are at quota, as long as they are not at ceiling/chapter total. So, the easy definition would be that "quota plus" occurs when a sorority who gets quota during structured recruitment but is not at chapter total offers a snap bid (and it is accepted of course).

aggieAXO 04-24-2002 06:25 PM

hmmmm, I guess crosscutting means different things at different schools. All of the chapters at A&M were allowed to take quota +3 even if they were at ceiling (the 3 extra were juniors). I am not even sure if we had a set ceiling??? That was never mentioned, I know we had a set house total which was at 145-meaning if you did not have 145 woman then you could do COB if you wanted to.