GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Chapter Suspended (on Bid Day) (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246490)

Panhellenic 09-10-2019 03:39 PM

Chapter Suspended (on Bid Day)

On bid day, a panhellenic chapter at my school posted to their Instagram story (as many do), and there was a song playing that had the n-word in it. This 7 second clip was reposted to a personal Snapchat of a non-Greek person of color with the caption "WTF!?" Shortly after, the chapter was suspended pending investigation.

The school reprimanded the sorority members, notified all students of their suspension, and found alternative housing on campus for all sisters who lived in the house.

This chapter has the reputation of the most inclusive organization on campus, and everyone has been shocked at the news. But, rumors have already started flying in. The most recent? Members were in the basement chanting the n-word. Clearly a gross exaggeration of a mistake made by whoever was holding the aux.

I have to trust that the investigation (performed by the school and this chapter's national organization) will reveal the truth and these sisters will receive a more suitable punishment. But, I fear for their reputation. Their new members, who were primarily featured in the video, are at risk of dropping, and - as the video is not being shared - rumors are far outnumbering the truth.

The entire event has been kept under wraps and escaped news attention furthering exaggerating and prolonging the process (count your blessings), but I fear that our small, liberal arts campus will never forget or forgive.

All presidents of Greek organizations (IFC, Panhellenic, Pan-Hellenic, and Divine Nine) met at a school-sanctioned "Greek Summit" to discuss the events and actions taken by the school, and were in agreement that the entire situation is being blown out of proportion.

How can I help? What would you advise members to do? Is it possible to show support for the chapter and not align yourself with racist ideations? How can we "welcome" them back to campus when the investigation has ended?

- A Desperate Panhellenic Sister

Rod D 09-10-2019 04:45 PM

When you say a "song was playing" what do you mean? Anyone who has listened to "modern" music these days would be shocked at the language used.

carnation 09-10-2019 05:19 PM

At Oglethorpe?

DGTess 09-11-2019 10:21 AM

There will be no "solution" until society deems word use is not dictated by skin color. Until what's wrong for one is wrong for all. Until we decide what we will accept and will not; until we determine who we want to be.

There will be "she *should* or he *should*".

anongreek 09-11-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod D (Post 2469368)
When you say a "song was playing" what do you mean? Anyone who has listened to "modern" music these days would be shocked at the language used.

I agree! Most of the more "modernized music" can be very foul, regardless of the genre. Even some of the "clean" versions of these songs are still not up to standard.