GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Grant Sikes, transgender ‘main character of Bama Rush,’ cut from every sorority (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=248222)

carnation 08-21-2022 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2491157)
I’m pretty sure “publicity seeking jagoff” is the pronoun we should be using for this person at this point.

:D:D:D

Titchou 08-21-2022 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navane (Post 2491155)
Unfortunately, it did reflect negatively on PH. Theta and Gamma Phi were the only two chapters that didn't cut Grant right away. Those two chapters gave him a chance. When he eventually got dropped, I saw a bunch of people get on our Gamma Phi Beta Alabama chapter Insta and post things like "Justice for Grant!!!!" I don't understand why they were protesting the chapter that tried to give him a chance when the others just straight dropped him ASAP. But yeah, they wanted to shame Gamma Phi for not bidding him.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/6pqe3z.png

I don't take rando comments on social media seriously. And others shouldn't either. Grant got justice = he got what he wanted and what he knew he would get.

*winter* 08-21-2022 02:36 PM

I’m with Titchou on this one. I can only imagine what kind of BS the public IG accounts for UA sororities have to deal with…because the TikTok fiasco has attracted plenty of random, unstable people with plenty of opinions.

Last year it was the same thing. Yet they still got record numbers of PNMs and it’s still one of the most respected systems in the country.

The more Grant speaks…the more I think people will realize that the sororities were right in not offering this person membership. It’s pretty clear this was one giant publicity stunt.

Attention seeking jag off!

honeychile 08-21-2022 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2491157)
I’m pretty sure “publicity seeking jagoff” is the pronoun we should be using for this person at this point.

Sobriquet of the Year, thus far!

RahRah241 08-29-2022 12:18 AM

Based off of the edit in the article, Grant is non-binary. I don't know why they expected to get accepted into a sorority when they do not identify as female. I'm sure they'd have no problem getting into a co-ed GLO as long as they got through rush. This all just seems like a silly stunt and trivializes what trans individuals have to go through to join GLO's that align with their gender identity.

honeychile 08-29-2022 11:23 AM

Has everyone noticed that you don't hear of a biological female trying to join a fraternity?

*winter* 08-29-2022 11:51 AM

Women who have transitioned and consider themselves males have gone through fraternity recruitment and some fraternities nationally have agreed to accept them.

Often FTM trans people are pretty low key and don’t want anything other than to pass as their gender and be accepted. I’ve noticed considerable histrionics and attention seeking behavior from some MTF trans people. Not all, of course.

Grant- who knows what Grant identifies as- I haven’t bothered to check today since it changes so often. However, I don’t think Grant’s issues stemmed from gender identity- just a way to piggyback into the TikTok rush video views and publicity. Grant was whatever Grant had to be that day to get more views. Which, as others have indicated, just cheapens the idea of trans/non-binary and makes it harder for people who genuinely identify as such to be taken seriously in life.

andthen 08-29-2022 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *winter* (Post 2491356)

Grant- who knows what Grant identifies as- I haven’t bothered to check today since it changes so often. However, I don’t think Grant’s issues stemmed from gender identity- just a way to piggyback into the TikTok rush video views and publicity. Grant was whatever Grant had to be that day to get more views. Which, as others have indicated, just cheapens the idea of trans/non-binary and makes it harder for people who genuinely identify as such to be taken seriously in life.

Yes, I haven't followed Grant's story super closely, but have seen the back and forth based on articles where Grant was interviewed etc. I have to say this, and this is just my two cents. I do feel like Grant was using this to gain notoriety and I agree with you Winter, it does make things more challenging for those in the trans and non-binary community. For people in these groups this isn't a joke and with the other societal/mental health/healthcare access/legal issues it is a shame because I feel like Grant is just making a mockery of everyone. The greek system, and those who are non-binary/trans.

I feel like Grant needs to step forward and apologize and at least own up to the motives behind this.

Hopping off my soap box.

naraht 08-29-2022 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RahRah241 (Post 2491346)
Based off of the edit in the article, Grant is non-binary. I don't know why they expected to get accepted into a sorority when they do not identify as female. I'm sure they'd have no problem getting into a co-ed GLO as long as they got through rush. This all just seems like a silly stunt and trivializes what trans individuals have to go through to join GLO's that align with their gender identity.

What makes you think the co-ed GLOs want Grant? I belong to one (Alpha Phi Omega) and he's done more than enough that I wouldn't want to vote him into brotherhood. (Yes we use "Brother" for all and have since Title IX had us go co-ed in the USA)

carnation 08-29-2022 09:38 PM

Good point!