GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumnae Initiation (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=208)
-   -   Frat groups who initiate alumni (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243362)

carnation 09-04-2022 08:07 PM

We do have a list on GC--maybe in the AI forum? The only group I know that clearly states that they don't is KKG. And who knows, maybe it has changed.

UVASquirrel 09-04-2022 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2491483)
We do have a list on GC--maybe in the AI forum? The only group I know that clearly states that they don't is KKG. And who knows, maybe it has changed.

Thank you! I looked, but didn't find anything.

ASTalumna06 09-04-2022 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2491483)

https://www.kappakappagamma.org/get-...na-initiation/

ASTalumna06 09-04-2022 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASquirrel (Post 2491484)
Thank you! I looked, but didn't find anything.

Through a VERY quick Google search on each org, the groups below are the ones that didn't immediately produce a result on the national organization's website when searching on "alumna initiate" or "alumnae initiation." If you'd like to narrow it down further, have at it! :)

(Also, Delta Delta Delta calls them Honor Initiates and appears to be the only group that has a different name)

Alpha Xi Delta
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Delta
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sigma Delta Tau
Theta Phi Alpha
Zeta Tau Alpha

navane 09-04-2022 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASquirrel (Post 2491481)
Curious...is there a list posted of sororities that do AI? I know mine does. I have a friend who is not in a GLO and her daughter is currently going through recruitment. Went to prefs today and I'm wondering if either of her two groups does AI.

We used to have a comprehensive list; but, the sticky was taken down when some members complained that it might encourage people to "sorority shop".

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2491486)
Through a VERY quick Google search on each org, the groups below are the ones that didn't immediately produce a result on the national organization's website when searching on "alumna initiate" or "alumnae initiation." If you'd like to narrow it down further, have at it! :)

(Also, Delta Delta Delta calls them Honor Initiates and appears to be the only group that has a different name)

Alpha Xi Delta
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Zeta
Kappa Delta
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sigma Delta Tau
Theta Phi Alpha
Zeta Tau Alpha

Unfortunately, this list is not accurate. The OP's best bet is to go directly to the national websites for the sororities in question and see if they have information about AI on their websites.

carnation 09-05-2022 08:39 AM

I've always wondered if HQs carefully vet their AI applicants like they do regular PNMs. Someone here once sent me the story of a truly insane AI whom they initiated at Arkansas and I've certainly heard of others.

UVASquirrel 09-05-2022 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2491496)
I've always wondered if HQs carefully vet their AI applicants like they do regular PNMs. Someone here once sent me the story of a truly insane AI whom they initiated at Arkansas and I've certainly heard of others.

I am sure this is not the case for all of our AI's, because most are sisters, moms or other relatives, but for my alumnae chapter, if we have friends that we think would be a good fit, we bring them to alumnae events so that we can get to know them as a chapter...since it's the Alumnae Chapters that they'll mainly be involved with. After so many meetings, we vote on it and then make the recommendation to our IHQ. Can't speak to how well IHQ reviews the applications because I've never been on that side of things...but the AI's are "vetted" pretty extensively by the alumnae chapter.

ASTalumna06 09-05-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navane (Post 2491487)
Unfortunately, this list is not accurate.

Updated ;) I realized I missed one and only had 25 total on my master list I initially created.

Again, not sure if these remaining groups offer it - I didn't look beyond the first couple results in my Google search. Either way, it's easy enough to find out through a search or phone call.

ASTalumna06 09-05-2022 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2491496)

To be fair, there have been quite a few insane members who have joined through the traditional route, too!

JonInKC 09-05-2022 12:47 PM

I remember someone mentioning once that TKE could initiate say, your Dad if you paid a fee. I was told it wasn't quite like full membership though.

carnation 09-05-2022 12:48 PM

Oh sure, but these women--well, I'm wondering if they went through undergrad rush and were released for good reasons.

Titchou 09-05-2022 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASquirrel (Post 2491498)
I am sure this is not the case for all of our AI's, because most are sisters, moms or other relatives, but for my alumnae chapter, if we have friends that we think would be a good fit, we bring them to alumnae events so that we can get to know them as a chapter...since it's the Alumnae Chapters that they'll mainly be involved with. After so many meetings, we vote on it and then make the recommendation to our IHQ. Can't speak to how well IHQ reviews the applications because I've never been on that side of things...but the AI's are "vetted" pretty extensively by the alumnae chapter.

That's true with us as well.

ASTalumna06 09-05-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2491510)
Oh sure, but these women--well, I'm wondering if they went through undergrad rush and were released for good reasons.

True. I wonder if any groups even track young women who accepted bids, became new members, but didn't initiate (whether of their own choosing or not), and if that goes into the AI decision-making process.

UVASquirrel 09-05-2022 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2491514)
True. I wonder if any groups even track young women who accepted bids, became new members, but didn't initiate (whether of their own choosing or not), and if that goes into the AI decision-making process.

We had a situation like that. This woman had pledged Alpha Gam and then had to drop out of school entirely before initiation because of health reasons. Ended up getting married and took a long time finishing her degree. She always kept up with her pledge sisters and other women in the chapter and so she was initiated as an alum 3 years ago....at least 10 or 11 years after her initial pledging.

*winter* 09-05-2022 10:18 PM

https://washburnreview.org/13933/new...burn-sorority/

This is just amazing