GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Midwest Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=232714)

leiaamiedala 08-02-2017 05:51 PM

Midwest Recruitment

I have a couple of rec girls this years, one at Minnesota and one at Madison. Do you have any specific advice to MN and WI?

They both have good resumes, GPAs, extra-curricular activities, etc. We have discussed the importance of keeping an open mind, being yourself, recruitment outfits, small talk, and recommendations.

I'd like to know if there is anything specific to those schools that they should know, for instance, how competitive each campus can be?

JonInKC 08-03-2017 09:05 AM

Don't wear jorts.

irishpipes 08-03-2017 09:59 AM

I know active members at both schools. Neither is terribly competitive and recs are welcomed but not the be all and end all.

BlueCarnation 08-03-2017 10:17 AM

I work at UW and am involved with my sorority's chapter on campus. Agree with Irishpipes. Recs are not necessary but certainly don't hurt. I'd advise any PNM to go through with an open mind. All the sororities here are excellent and she would be lucky to join any of them. There's really not any specific thing to know about things here. We are moving to a 4-round recruitment from 3 rounds this year, but otherwise it's a pretty low key recruitment. There will be a mix of women from the coasts and from the midwest and sometimes PNMs focus on that as part of their decision making, but again, PNMs should go in and decide what's best for them.

NoDak 08-03-2017 02:46 PM

Minnesota

Minnesota has struggled with retention and it is partly due to the fact that there is the perception that it isn't competitive and that it is casual, laid back, and you will 'find your home'. However, Minnesota IS selective. You have a large amount of PNMs who have not been raised to understand the recruitment process and who are not getting the wisdom from this forum and are seriously confused and hurt when their hopes are dashed. Thus a large amount drop.

Their Panhellenic should rely more on references for better introductions but it's not important to their campus culture. Perfectly wonderful PNMs fall through the cracks and out of the greek community all together. My advice is to get the recs and I say so because these PNMs would benefit from having a chat with an alumna to help familiarize them with the process and what to expect. Managing their expectations.

My humble opinion and observation.

leiaamiedala 08-03-2017 04:45 PM

Thanks, NoDak & BlueCarnation. I will pass on that knowledge. Much appreciated!

kchaptergphib 08-09-2017 12:52 PM

I attended Minnesota, and volunteer at Wisconsin. I wish I could give more up-to-date info on the U, but it's been over a decade since I lived there :eek:
My impression of recruitment at the U, albeit back in the day, is that because people knew it wasn't as competitive as a Southern or Indiana rush, women thought they could get into whatever chapter they wanted. This is not. true. Many chapters are quite selective, and all certainly make cuts. However, a personable, level-headed, open-minded PNM who's looking for the place she feels comfortable should do just fine. I doubt things have changed that much since I've been there.
Wisconsin is much the same, although (I would argue) more geographically diverse. Much of the advice for MN would apply at WI, too. We certainly receive reference letters, but probably only on ~15% of PNMs. They can't hurt, but I wouldn't bother getting them from anyone who doesn't know the young woman quite well. I think it's always great for PNMs to meet alumnae sorority women, practice conversation skills, hear about Greek Life, etc., but as far as references go, I get the most out of ones written by someone who actually has known the woman for several years and knows how to actually write a good recommendation. *But that's just me and my preferences.*
In the end, neither is overly competitive as a campus, but that doesn't mean it won't be extremely difficult to get into a handful of chapters. But, again, as goes for most schools and recruitments, a personable, level-headed, open-minded PNM who's looking for a place she feels comfortable should end up with a home on Bid Day.
Good luck to both these ladies. Great campuses, and great Greek systems. They'll have a blast wherever they end up!

BlueCarnation 08-09-2017 01:39 PM

She's the best person to respond to this thread. I know her. She knows her stuff. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchaptergphib (Post 2437959)
I attended Minnesota, and volunteer at Wisconsin. I wish I could give more up-to-date info on the U, but it's been over a decade since I lived there :eek:
My impression of recruitment at the U, albeit back in the day, is that because people knew it wasn't as competitive as a Southern or Indiana rush, women thought they could get into whatever chapter they wanted. This is not. true. Many chapters are quite selective, and all certainly make cuts. However, a personable, level-headed, open-minded PNM who's looking for the place she feels comfortable should do just fine. I doubt things have changed that much since I've been there.
Wisconsin is much the same, although (I would argue) more geographically diverse. Much of the advice for MN would apply at WI, too. We certainly receive reference letters, but probably only on ~15% of PNMs. They can't hurt, but I wouldn't bother getting them from anyone who doesn't know the young woman quite well. I think it's always great for PNMs to meet alumnae sorority women, practice conversation skills, hear about Greek Life, etc., but as far as references go, I get the most out of ones written by someone who actually has known the woman for several years and knows how to actually write a good recommendation. *But that's just me and my preferences.*
In the end, neither is overly competitive as a campus, but that doesn't mean it won't be extremely difficult to get into a handful of chapters. But, again, as goes for most schools and recruitments, a personable, level-headed, open-minded PNM who's looking for a place she feels comfortable should end up with a home on Bid Day.
Good luck to both these ladies. Great campuses, and great Greek systems. They'll have a blast wherever they end up!

Benzgirl 08-12-2017 03:17 PM

I Don't know anything about Wisconsin, but Minnesota is not as competitive as it should be. I will need to wrack my brain why but for the size of the school, recruitment is not very big in numbers, quota is not very high and they pretty much recruit the entire year. I knew more about this 2 years ago but need to think back.