GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   junior seeking recruitment help!!! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=145568)

rockyrocks 01-16-2015 05:51 AM

junior seeking recruitment help!!!

Thanks everyone for the responses.not sure how to delete posts. Go bears ;)

DubaiSis 01-16-2015 08:08 AM

There are too many variables. At some schools you wouldn't have a chance. At others grades aren't the end of the world (although I think some sororities have a higher GPA threshold than that). All you can do is give it a shot and hope for the best while preparing for the worst.

HQWest 01-16-2015 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2304885)
There are too many variables. At some schools you wouldn't have a chance. At others grades aren't the end of the world (although I think some sororities have a higher GPA threshold than that). All you can do is give it a shot and hope for the best while preparing for the worst.

2.9 GPA is not terrible, but it is not great either. If you are at that school with a really competitive recruitment, I would say that because of your illness you really need to work on your grades, a sorority just might not be in the cards for you.

IF you are at a school with a less competitive recruitment - it is still doable, but you need to talk to your friends in sororities, let them know you are coming, interested, excited, and let them know what happened with your transfer and your "off" semester. Ask about upperclass quota. They might be able to pull for you - they might not. Be prepared for heavy cuts - but they might be able to take a chance on you. Or you might just take the opportunity to meet people and wait for COB.

thetalady 01-16-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyrocks (Post 2304882)
Spring recruitmen is coming up and id like to know my chances
Here my back story. Im from texas. I went to an out of school state(Louisiana)my freshman year and finished it off with a 3.6.
My sophmore year i transferred back to a texas school,during that time i had surgery and had to try and adjust to this biggger school.i went through a spring rush open house and didnt get a bid(i didnt realize i had a 2.0 gpa)Then this summer i went through formal rush and was cut by the 3rd day. I later realized i needed a gpa of 2.5 to even be eligible for membership and i had a gpa of 2.2.:( yikes! Rough year.
Soo now i managed to raise my school gpa to a 2.6 and my overall is a 2.9. Still low but its still a B average!
And now my question is do you think i have a chance af getting a bid this spring rush coming up next week?
And if you read all this bless your kind soul!
Be nice please

Sorority? Fraternity? That makes a difference.

rockyrocks 01-16-2015 02:35 PM

Sorority recruitment
Thanks everyone so far

als463 01-16-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyrocks (Post 2304921)
Sorority recruitment
Thanks everyone so far

What GPA do they use for sorority recruitment at your school? That can also determine your success during recruitment.

WhiteRose1912 01-16-2015 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HQWest (Post 2304891)
2.9 GPA is not terrible, but it is not great either.

She has a 2.6 though. Correct me if I'm wrong on the universality of this, but in my experience, one's GPA from a prior university doesn't transfer.

als463 01-16-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 (Post 2304941)
She has a 2.6 though. Correct me if I'm wrong on the universality of this, but in my experience, one's GPA from a prior university doesn't transfer.

In most cases, you are right about that. There are some major universities, however, that actually transfer the GPA. That's why I asked that. It's weird when you actually see it in action.

irishpipes 01-16-2015 08:25 PM

And she is at least a second-semester junior. In Texas. At a school she has described as "bigger."

navane 01-16-2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 (Post 2304941)

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 2304946)
In most cases, you are right about that. There are some major universities, however, that actually transfer the GPA. That's why I asked that. It's weird when you actually see it in action.

Correct. This is not a universal policy. I worked for a major university that calculated all grades transferred. That said, the OP mentioned that she *had* a 3.6 coming into the transfer; but, that her 2.0/2.2 hindered her recruitment prospects. So, either her school does not include transfer GPAs into the overall GPA or her school says that one must have a 2.5 campus GPA to participate. That's my guess.

SWTXBelle 01-17-2015 06:31 AM

"Go Bears" would seem to indicate Baylor.

pinksequins 01-17-2015 06:40 AM

Rocky, since you are at a "bigger" Texas university, have you checked with the GL office to see which houses are recruiting this Spring? Do you have recs to these houses? Are you good friends with sisters in the houses?

pinksequins 01-17-2015 06:42 AM

Baylor is done and dusted and does not have a DG chapter.

rockyrocks 01-17-2015 10:43 AM

Im only friends with girls in differemt chapters

pinksequins 01-17-2015 10:59 AM

Have you checked with the GL office to see which chapters are recruiting? (Not all chapters will.). Do you have good friends in the chapters that will be recruitting? There may only be a few slots for any participating chapter, and good friends will be needed (particularly for a second semester junior) to help advocate for you. (I am guessing from your reply that you don't have recs.)