GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   update on my recruitment week so far... (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=90290)

UWO_2007 09-18-2007 10:05 AM

update on my recruitment week so far...

OK so we're on Round 3 tonight... last night we rated... It went like this...

#1 A - Got along great... felt soo comfortable
#2 B - Again, got along great, felt comfy, but not as much as A
#3 C - Got along good, great conversation, somewhat comfy
#4 D - Weird silence, but got along good
#5 E - Really nothing in common, felt very out of place

so for tonight, I check the schedule
I'm meeting with A, D, & E.... I got the worst vibes out of D & E, but that is where I got called back... I'm so confused. I was really hoping at least one of my top 3 I'd have to choose, I just am not sure that I would want to accept a bid where I didn't feel comfy.... and I certainly don't want to put all my eggs in one basket with my top choice and just hope for the best...

I'm going to go with an open mind and hope that maybe things will be better with D & E tonight, but what if after tonight I still feel weird around them??? Is it better to put the eggs in one basket, or just walk away and go for COB????

sailboatgirl 09-18-2007 11:13 AM

I see no harm in going tonight to the 2 parties to which you were invited. Is it Pref night? If so, and you're still not "feeling it" with either chapter, then don't sign a preference/bid card and take your chances with COB. I wish you the best of luck tonight!

AlphaFrog 09-18-2007 11:18 AM

I'm going to be COMPLETELY honest (and probably get flamed, but whatever)...

You mentioned in another thread that you're pushing 30. You're probably going to want to take what you can get. You might be put in the position to either accept a bid where you don't feel 100% comfy and hope it works out, or not be Greek at all.

It's the hard reality of rushing later in life. I do hope you get invited back to your #1, but if you don't, I wouldn't count on a COB later.

UWO_2007 09-18-2007 11:39 AM

My age should have nothing to do with wanting to get involved. There are members OLDER than me in the greek system where I go to school. I also checked into the age issue for every sorrority on campus BEFORE recruitment... there are none. In addition, NONE of the young ladies asked my age. (I also don't look anywhere near my mid 20's... so it's not like I look like an old spinster or something)

UWO_2007 09-18-2007 11:43 AM

Pref night is Wednesday. I do intend on going to the meetings tonight. I'm staying open, but with not feeling comfortable and being a lifelong commitment to the sorority, I don't want to do something I am not feeling, does that make sense???

LPIDelta 09-18-2007 11:44 AM

Whether they say so or not--age can be an issue. I certainly don't think its a "take what you can get" situation, but you do need to accept that may be a reason why you get cut.

Hopefully group A will work out for you--but you should give all a chance because sometimes its just a bad night or you don't talk with the right people.

AlphaFrog 09-18-2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UWO_2007 (Post 1521533)
My age should have nothing to do with wanting to get involved. There are members OLDER than me in the greek system where I go to school. I also checked into the age issue for every sorrority on campus BEFORE recruitment... there are none. In addition, NONE of the young ladies asked my age. (I also don't look anywhere near my mid 20's... so it's not like I look like an old spinster or something)

You WANTING to get involved and you being CHOSEN to be involved are two seperate issues. In reality, YOU may be mature enough to realize that you could be an asset to a group...but you're not voting on yourself...a group of 18-22 year olds are. They may see it differently. If you say there are older folks on your campus in the Greek system...well, you know your campus better then I do. But, I'm just warning you.

SthrnZeta 09-18-2007 11:54 AM

I agree with Delta, you may end up talking to one girl tonight you totally click with and change your opinion of D or E entirely (it happened to me!) so don't discount them too early. It's definitely good to keep an open mind. Also, rushing is really nerve-wracking, think about it from their side also. They're just as nervous, if not more so, than you. THEY'RE the ones who have to impress you, THEY'RE the ones who need/want new members. I felt that when you walked into the room feeling confident like that, it helped my nerves and I was able to have better conversations with the women there, which ultimately helped me find my home. I have to say though, I remember cutting girls because they were Juniors, too busy with jobs, etc. so, though they may tell you they don't care, it is a reality, harsh though it may be. Sororities want freshman because they know they're more likely to be an active collegiate for a longer period of time, it's just the logistics of it.

UWO_2007 09-18-2007 12:03 PM

Isn't "taking what you can get" completely opposite of what a sorority stands for???

and I am a transfer freshman, starting a new bachelor's degree and continuing with an MBA.

I had great conversations with A,B,C, OK conversations with D, and E was OK, but completely weird feeling (on both nights). I missed the skit for B due to class so at the end of the night, our recruitment director arranged for me to have 10 minutes with them so that they could see I was still interested. Even 25 people asking questions in 10 minutes, it was rushed, but all great conversation.

cuteASAbug 09-18-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UWO_2007 (Post 1521552)
Isn't "taking what you can get" completely opposite of what a sorority stands for???

and I am a transfer freshman, starting a new bachelor's degree and continuing with an MBA.

I had great conversations with A,B,C, OK conversations with D, and E was OK, but completely weird feeling (on both nights). I missed the skit for B due to class so at the end of the night, our recruitment director arranged for me to have 10 minutes with them so that they could see I was still interested. Even 25 people asking questions in 10 minutes, it was rushed, but all great conversation.

Wait you already have a degree? Do all of the sororities at your campus allow women who have a degree to rush/join?

AlphaFrog 09-18-2007 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UWO_2007 (Post 1521552)

On the sororities' side, yes, "taking what you can get" is mostly the opposite...

But, ask a PNM (or their momma, apparently) who just went through SEC rush, and it's different from the other side. Yes, there are girls who are "top tier or nothing", but there are also girls who were happy to get A bid, ANY bid.

And, you said you checked it out with the GL office and it's fine, but there are GLOs that have rules about bidding women who already have one bachelor's. THAT'S not in the GL Office's control.

KSUViolet06 09-18-2007 01:04 PM

My advice is to go to all events you're invited back to and see what happens. You really never know. Opinions change alot from day to day and you should keep your options open. If after Preference, you decide you really wouldn't want to join any group you've been invited to, you can choose not to sign a Preference card, and maybe go to through COB later if it's an option.

violetpretty 09-18-2007 01:32 PM

I thought it was an NPC rule that in order to be eligible for membership, a PNM may not already have a bachelor's degree.

AlphaFrog 09-18-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violetpretty (Post 1521630)
I thought it was an NPC rule that in order to be eligible for membership, a PNM may not already have a bachelor's degree.

It's not an NPC rule, because there are a couple sororities that definitely allow grad students...but there are some sororities that have bylaws against it.

Buttonz 09-18-2007 01:47 PM

I can only think of 2 NPC's that I know of that let students who already have a BA or BS join as an undergrad. It's something you might want to think about.