GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Founder's Legacies? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=132722)

AngelPhiSig 02-26-2013 08:58 PM

Founder's Legacies?

Okay, so I searched, and it may be the "late night" kindergarten teacher brain kicking in, but I couldn't find anything on this -

Have there/are there any legacies of NPC sororities that have joined either their NPC or a different NPC organization?

In my grand scheme of procrastinating, my brain wandered to wondering if this has ever happened? Like Fay Chertkoff (bad choice, I dont think she ever married, Phi Sig was her love) having a great-great-granddaughter who joined Phi Sig at a school.

Any ideas?

Gusteau 02-26-2013 09:05 PM

Definitely, and probably more often than you'd think. A Sigma Kappa friend of mine advises a chapter with a founder's many times great granddaughter.

In my own organization I am only aware of a founder's son who is also a Delta Chi.

Titchou 02-26-2013 09:10 PM

I know the granddaughter of one of our founders and she is a member of the same group.

ADPiEE 02-26-2013 09:18 PM

Yes for ADPi--I remember reading about one in a fairly recent (within a few years) issue of the Adelphean about this

Sciencewoman 02-26-2013 09:23 PM

Check out page 18 of this issue of Gamma Phi Beta's The Crescent:

http://digital.publicationprinters.c...ation/?i=67967

badgeguy 02-26-2013 09:48 PM

I know that there are some instances of a founders offspring or grandchild joining a seperate organization than the ones they founded.

That to me would seem a little awkward at family gatherings.

BG

adpiucf 02-26-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgeguy (Post 2205661)
I know that there are some instances of a founders offspring or grandchild joining a seperate organization than the ones they founded.

That to me would seem a little awkward at family gatherings.

BG

Not if the founders are dead. ;)

happilyanchored 02-26-2013 10:10 PM

The great-something grandniece of one of our founders actually was a member of my chapter and graduated the year before I was a new member. They had an article in the ANCHORA this summer about our founder's relatives who ended up joining Delta Gamma.

glittergal1985 02-26-2013 10:22 PM

The granddaughter and great granddaughter of one of our founders were just initiated at our centennial convention :)

AOII Angel 02-27-2013 12:29 AM

AOII has no Founder legacies. Only one of our four Founders had children, Helen, and her girls went to Barnard after sorority life was disbanded. :(

NutBrnHair 02-27-2013 11:17 AM

The great great grand niece of Chi Omega Founder Jobelle Holcombe was initiated into our chapter at Northwestern Univ. within the last 5 years.

amIblue? 02-27-2013 11:27 AM

I just hope that if the founder's legacy goes elsewhere, she is the one that chooses the other chapter, and not the chapter dropping her!

Can you just imagine the backlash for dropping a founder legacy?

AnchorAlumna 02-27-2013 11:54 AM

We had a Founder's....great-granddaughter, I think...come through rush. She dropped us, but somehow word got around that we had dropped her. That fire took years to stomp out!

Cheerio 02-27-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2205690)
AOII has no Founder legacies. Only one of our four Founders had children, Helen, and her girls went to Barnard after sorority life was disbanded. :(

While there are no direct legacies to your founders, what about great grand nieces as NutBrn mentions? Did Helen's sisters have daughters, etc.

nyapbp 02-27-2013 12:34 PM

Sometimes they have to self-identify. Pi Phi has 12 founders, only about half had children. Keeping track of all possible combinations of relations would be a daunting task.

I realized one day that while I had met or corresponded with the great-great grandchildren of one of our founders, they had not known of each other. Sadly, when I realized this one had already passed away. (The founder had a daughter and a son. The daughter married and moved west; the son moved east. They each had children. Those children had children.) Perhaps if the internet was around 75 years ago the families would have connected. One of these women had some of the founder's items that she donated to our archives. She said she likely had them because she was a Pi Phi and her sisters had joined another organization (perhaps there wasn't a Pi Phi chapter where they went to school, I did not ask).