GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sally Ride's Sorority - What is she? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=79946)

Prunetacos 08-13-2006 10:13 PM

Sally Ride's Sorority - What is she?

I've read that America's first woman astronaut, Dr. Sally Ride, is a sorority member, but I can't find out which sorority. She went to Swarthmore, then to Stanford. Perhaps she was inducted as an alum, after graduation(?) Thanks for any information!!!
- Prune Tacos

AGDem 08-13-2006 10:19 PM

I think she was initiated into Pi Beta Phi as an alum. Could be wrong, though.

Prunetacos 08-13-2006 10:31 PM

Thanks!

Thanks, if it was. Maybe I should ask Pi Phi. When an alum is asked to join, do they go through a pledging period, the exact same ceremony with young coeds, a special cermony just for alums? I remember that President Eisenhower was a DEKE, but since he went to West Point, where there are no fraternities, he went in as an alum.
Thanks for the help!!
- Prunetacos

CutiePie2000 08-13-2006 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prunetacos
Thanks, if it was. Maybe I should ask Pi Phi. When an alum is asked to join, do they go through a pledging period, the exact same ceremony with young coeds, a special cermony just for alums?

I've know AI's who received both the pledging ceremony and the full-on initiation ceremony, and I know some who went straight to the initiation ceremony. I don't know about the actual pledging period itself, but I am thinking "probably not". So that answer overall is..."it depends."

Unregistered- 08-13-2006 10:38 PM

Betty Crocker, anyone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDem
I think she was initiated into Pi Beta Phi as an alum. Could be wrong, though.

Pi Beta Phi doesn't have her listed on their website as a notable alumna.

I couldn't find an affiliation via Google, either.

She could very well be a member of a professional/honor/service organization and not an NPC.

carnation 08-13-2006 10:46 PM

We do have one of the early female astronauts who AIed and her name escapes me but I think that Sally Ride is a Sigma Kappa. Wait, is ours named Anna Fisher or something like that?

Unregistered- 08-13-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation
We do have one of the early female astronauts who AIed and her name escapes me but I think that Sally Ride is a Sigma Kappa. Wait, is ours named Anna Fisher or something like that?

LOL, Sigma Kappa doesn't list her either, although they do have another astronaut, Rhea Seddon, as a sister.

Prunetacos 08-13-2006 10:52 PM

More Sally Ride information

http://www.geocities.com/daypanhell/facts.html

That's the site that lists here in "Others" as a sorority member.

- Prunetacos

Prunetacos 08-13-2006 10:52 PM

More Sally Ride information

That's the site that lists her in "Others" as a sorority member.

- Prunetacos

Unregistered- 08-13-2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prunetacos

That's the site that lists here in "Others" as a sorority member.

- Prunetacos

Unless it's an I/HQ's official site, I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

I've seen lists that had Betty Crocker, Madonna, Carly Simon, Raquel Welch, etc. etc. listed as Greek. All wrong.

Out of curiosity, why Sally Ride?

Prunetacos 08-13-2006 11:01 PM

Sally Ride - sorority member

In answer to OTW, I've read a lot about her, even drove to Baltimore to hear her speak at Gaucher College many years ago for a Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society talk. She was a wonderful, funny, down-to-earth speaker that presented her experiences as an astronaut in a very engaging way. She's a real hero of mine. In the books I've read, lots of informational tidbits are presented, but nothing about joining a college sorority. So - I decided to go here and ask. THanks. - Prunetacos

Tom Earp 08-13-2006 11:07 PM

Hm, this must be wrong as a previous poster said so.:o

undtheta2000 08-14-2006 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTW
Unless it's an I/HQ's official site, I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

I've seen lists that had Betty Crocker, Madonna, Carly Simon, Raquel Welch, etc. etc. listed as Greek. All wrong.

Out of curiosity, why Sally Ride?

About Betty Crocker...Quote from Kappa Alpha Theta threads...please read the following.
Quote:

"Betty Crocker" as a person did not exist. However, our sister Marjorie Child Husted used her voice as the voice of Betty Crocker.

Additional information from HQ website:
Marjorie Child Husted
Initiated 1909
Marjorie Husted became the 1st radio voice for General Mills’ Betty Crocker the personification of the corporation’s home economics department and she filled that role for twenty years (1927-1947). Beginning in 1926 Child created the department and ultimately designated director of General Mills’ Home Service Program.
So when it was posted that Betty Crocker (along with others) was Greek, followed by the comment "all wrong"- Partly wrong, partly right...:)

Unregistered- 08-14-2006 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undtheta2000
About Betty Crocker...Quote from Kappa Alpha Theta threads...please read the following.

So when it was posted that Betty Crocker (along with others) was Greek, followed by the comment "all wrong"- Partly wrong, partly right...:)

If you want to pick nits, go right ahead! :D

I still stand by my statement. Betty Crocker was not Greek. Ms. Husted was. :)

33girl 08-15-2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undtheta2000

Say Marlo Thomas (who is a Theta) did the voice of Smurfette...are you going to say Smurfette is Greek?

Betty Crocker is a fictional character. She cannot possess a Greek affiliation.