GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Where does Out of State matter *least* (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=245018)

naraht 10-03-2018 01:58 PM

Where does Out of State matter *least*

For all of the discussions as to where Out of State matters, I'm curious as to where it matters the *least*. My *guess* would be the schools in Washington DC that have recognized Greek Life with a number of NPC sororities, so George Washington U, American University and Catholic University of America (the other schools are either NPHC dominated or have an NPC system which is small (Gallaudet) or not really recognized (Georgetown).

Other suggestions?

Remiechi 10-03-2018 02:02 PM

Catholic does not have any NPC or NPHC organizations.

Shellfish 10-03-2018 02:19 PM

Ivies and similar schools.

Sciencewoman 10-03-2018 04:03 PM

^^^ Agreed...any schools that draw from a wide geographic range and don't have a predominantly in-state or regional student population. I don't think it matters much at all if there isn't a strong campus culture that values prior connections and recruiting known women from high school and other pre-college relationships and activities.

In other words, everywhere but the South...:D

naraht 10-03-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remiechi (Post 2461592)
Catholic does not have any NPC or NPHC organizations.

Sorry, misremembered. I'd seen Alpha Delta Gamma Sorority there are confused it with Delta Gamma.

Remiechi 10-03-2018 05:47 PM

How about NYU?

ForrestGrump 10-03-2018 07:35 PM

Being out of state really wouldn't matter that much at any private college or university which draws a lot of students nationally or even regionally, whether that's a large university like Vanderbilt, Duke or NYU, or a smaller one like Denison or DePauw. Even at the "Public Ivies" in Virginia -- UVA and William & Mary -- it isn't much an issue, since almost of a third of the student body at each of them is from out of state. Frankly, even at some of the large state universities in the SEC, Big 12, etc., you may find some houses who have a definite preference for in-staters, while other chapters don't care.

sigmagirl2000 10-03-2018 09:40 PM

Babson, UMass, most northeast schools....

Tom Earp 10-04-2018 01:04 PM

LOL, does inbreeding and snobbery make a chapter better or not?:o

I always felt like the more the variety makes a chapter better!:)

Just saying, a he or she organization is not that far different!:D

ChioLu 10-04-2018 03:39 PM

I know from viewing the UCLA bid lists, that there are so many OOS new members.
PLUS, UCLA accepts a high percentage of OOS students, as they pay more in tuition.

33girl 10-04-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Earp (Post 2461607)
LOL, does inbreeding and snobbery make a chapter better or not?:o

I always felt like the more the variety makes a chapter better!:)

Just saying, a he or she organization is not that far different!:D

I’m inclined to agree. I can’t think of anything more boring than spending your college years with the same people you saw every single day in high school.

AnchorAlumna 10-04-2018 05:44 PM

With about 66% of the student body from out of state, the University of Alabama.
So much for "anywhere but the South."

clemsongirl 10-04-2018 06:34 PM

I think at Alabama the membership of the sororities is more likely to skew in-state, though. And being from certain high schools is definitely helpful in joining certain chapters-I know that's true at Clemson too. It's not even that in-state PNMs are somehow "better" but that women already in the chapters are more likely to know them and thus more likely to advocate for them than women who aren't already known.

In my experience, the sought-after PNMs weren't all from South Carolina but were very much all from the South, and there was a very strong North v. South divide among the fraternities and sororities, i.e. certain groups were "northern" and certain groups were "southern" because of where most of their members came from. Not sure if this is true at other similar schools.

Titchou 10-04-2018 08:50 PM

At Alabama, the split on PNMs is about 50/50 in state vs oos. Of course, some chapters are OOS heavy and vice versa. But since they place over 90%,obviously OOS doesn't matter...as long as you keep an open mind

KSUViolet06 10-04-2018 09:56 PM

Pick any school in Ohio. None of them. OSU is the largest and it draws from so many states that it really does not matter.