GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How do i start greek life on a campus with no existing Greek life? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=119993)

interested89 05-26-2011 08:38 PM

How do i start greek life on a campus with no existing Greek life?

Hey everyone!!!!

So I go to a school that has no greek organizations at all, it is not that they are not allowed, they just do not exist. Our school is part of a five college consortium, and the only one of the five colleges has greek life. for years, people who have been interested in greek life have had to go through that school to join greek organizations. There are a group of us however, that feel that our campus and student population (specifically of people of color population) would benefit from have our campus become greek. What should we do? Where should we start? any suggestions?

excelblue 05-27-2011 06:12 PM

I'll start: this is gonna be difficult.

In any case, if I were you, I'd start by contacting a variety of resources:
1.) Student Activities office -- this is because your college probably doesn't have a Greek Life office, but they may provide some info on the situation.
2.) Greek Life office of the college that does have Greek Life -- they might direct you to a few more resources.

Because you're interested in starting an organization specifically for people of color, you might want to look into one of the NPHC sororities.

knight_shadow 05-27-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excelblue (Post 2059158)
Because you're interested in starting an organization specifically for people of color, you might want to look into one of the NPHC sororities.

Or NALFO or NMGC. They also serve this population.

DrPhil 05-27-2011 08:05 PM

Based on my experiences and experiences of others I'm familiar with:

Definitely start with Student Activities and maybe also the Dean's Office, or whatever your institution calls these offices. They may tell you "no, we neither want nor need this." It is not uncommon for schools without Greek Life to be darn near impossible to change because they intentionally don't have Greek Life--many of these schools conveniently have organizations that mimick Greekdom in some way, though.

If they tell you "no," find out from your school what students who are interested in Greekdom tend to do to join GLOs at nearby institutions. You can do that in addition to researching which nearby GLO chapters would allow aspirants from your school. Since students don't become affiliated with GLO chapters at other schools without their current institution's knowledge, your school may already have policies and procedures for this. Or, they may not but will be able to develop some procedures by contacting the other institution and GLO chapters.

DeltaEmi88 03-04-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMEGAPRINCEPXA (Post 2129987)
If you want to start a fraternity off campus or on, with or without greek life,,,, besides contacting your student activities office, student life... email Omega Gamma Delta, theyll help

Oh my God, stop. Just stop. You keep bumping threads from years ago, and I'm pretty sure that whoever the OP is, they have moved on.

DubaiSis 03-05-2012 04:32 AM

DeltaEmi88, THANK YOU.