GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Legacy... what does it mean? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=105725)

PinkPalmTree 06-05-2009 07:34 PM

Legacy... what does it mean?

I'm not going to name the sororities just in case any FSU sorority girls are looking on here :) I am a legacy to Sorority A (through my grandmother and my great-grandmother and great-aunt were also in it) & Sorority B (through my mother)... and I am rushing this fall. What exactly does being a legacy mean? Are you guaranteed a bid? Is it desirable for a sorority to have a legacy in their pledge class?

Also, is it okay to send multiple recommendations to a certain sorority, or is it overkill?

Thank you :)

KSUViolet06 06-05-2009 07:45 PM

Being a legacy does NOT guarantee a bid.

It's nice to be able to have a legacy, but chapters certainly aren't obligated to take them.

Also, at a school like FSU, there are probably quite a few legacies.

I've read here that 2-3 recs per chapter is quite enough.

VandalSquirrel 06-05-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkPalmTree (Post 1814925)
I'm not going to name the sororities just in case any FSU sorority girls are looking on here :) I am a legacy to Sorority A (through my grandmother and my great-grandmother and great-aunt were also in it) & Sorority B (through my mother)... and I am rushing this fall. What exactly does being a legacy mean? Are you guaranteed a bid? Is it desirable for a sorority to have a legacy in their pledge class?

Also, is it okay to send multiple recommendations to a certain sorority, or is it overkill?

Make sure that your legacy relative sends the appropriate form to the chapter, it can cause confusion and wasted time on the part of members if they are trying to confirm what you put on your application and there is no supporting documentation. If these relatives are deceased find an alumnae to write one to include that information.

AOII Angel 06-05-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkPalmTree (Post 1814925)

Check with your relatives to make sure that their status as a member actually makes you a legacy. I know of at least one NPC group that doesn't count grandmothers for legacy status, and I don't know of anyone who counts aunts, great grandmothers or great aunts. Obviously you are a legacy through your mother. Most NPC organizations only guarantee a legacy a courtesy invitation past the first round. They may not HAVE to invite you back after that. Some chapters, however, value legacies very highly and like to pledge them, but like others have said, some chapters can't possibly take all of their legacies.

FSUZeta 06-05-2009 10:07 PM

whether or not the sorority that your grandmother, great-grandmother and great-aunt are members of considers you a legacy, i think it would be impressive to the members and chapter advisors to know that part of your(their) history. be sure to have whomever writes a recommendation to that chapter to mention that information, including the names(first, maiden and last name) of your relatives.

as the others have said, being a legacy does not guarantee one a bid. you have to impress them in your own right.

a couple of recommendations per chapter should be sufficient. recommendation forms most often don't allow a lot of room for the author to share detailed information, and redundent information won't increase your chances, so if they feel so inclined, an accompanying letter(sometimes referred to as a letter of support) could be helpful. the letter would highlight your talents and point out how those talents could enhance their chapter.

exlurker 06-05-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 1814941)
Check with your relatives to make sure that their status as a member actually makes you a legacy. I know of at least one NPC group that doesn't count grandmothers for legacy status, and I don't know of anyone who counts aunts, great grandmothers or great aunts. Obviously you are a legacy through your mother. Most NPC organizations only guarantee a legacy a courtesy invitation past the first round. They may not HAVE to invite you back after that. Some chapters, however, value legacies very highly and like to pledge them, but like others have said, some chapters can't possibly take all of their legacies.

Everyone's given helpful advice.
I'd like to mention that at least one NPC sorority, Alpha Xi Delta, DOES consider nieces to be legacies -- this is not a "secret," it's posted in the open, public "alum" section of the sorority HQs web site. There may be others, so you and / or your relatives may want to double-check each separate sorority's current policy. I myself haven't researched every single NPC sorority.

PinkPalmTree 06-06-2009 12:16 AM

Thank you so much everyone :)! For the sorority A- I checked, and I am considered a legacy through my grandmother. Great advice!

foreverinpink 06-06-2009 12:31 PM

I had some similar questions about legacies. Thanks for the info! :)