GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Events (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Send Off (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=83619)

kellybear 01-05-2007 10:51 AM

Send Off

Hi,:)

My teacher recently gave a talk on different parts of secret societies and I was very intrested in what she had to say about their traditions and norms and I fell inlove with the idea of greek life.:cool:

My questions is about "Greek Send Off's",when they started making it a tradition,why they have this event,who is invited to the event, what is an example of the days happenings for an actual send off?

We are writing a 6 page paper on the society of our choice, I chose Greeks and was very interested in the whole idea of Send Off's but couldn't find much information about them.

So please someone help me or direct me to some you think can help.

Thank You

AlphaFrog 01-05-2007 10:53 AM

First of all, Kelly...giving out your name and school on the internet is probably NOT a good idea. It's a small world.

Second of all...do your own damn homework.

kellybear 01-05-2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1378720)
First of all, Kelly...giving out your name and school on the internet is probably NOT a good idea. It's a small world.

Second of all...do your own damn homework.

I was just asking for help and this is part of the "Homework" it''s called "Research",as for my name and school maybe you are right...

AlphaFrog 01-05-2007 11:16 AM

Dang, I hope the folks at Mercks or Pfizer or AstraZeneca never resort to your type of "Research".

Ok...for our sendoffs we smeared our senoirs in honey and left them in the woods for the bears, and then we went off cow-tipping.

Now that's a 100% reliable research answer, I promise.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FIND THE LIBRARY.

DolphinChicaDDD 01-05-2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybear (Post 1378725)
I was just asking for help and this is part of the "Homework" it''s called "Research",as for my name and school maybe you are right...

If one of my students put www.greekchat.com down as a reference, I would fail him/her on the spot.

That only flies if you are publishing a book exposing the dark side of sorority life.

Drolefille 01-05-2007 02:22 PM

I've used forums as resources in presentations, but really only as a general "they have good advice for people with ADD here" sort of thing. Or, I got this anecdote/quote from User2315smith or something.

It's not cool to try and use it as your research paper resource.

carnation 01-05-2007 02:54 PM

What's a sendoff?

Unregistered- 01-05-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 1378869)
What's a sendoff?

Our sendoff was called Senior Farewell. :confused:

kddani 01-05-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTW (Post 1378870)
Our sendoff was called Senior Farewell. :confused:

Ours was called Senior Sendoff. I have no idea why a high schooler would be interested in it. Of all aspects of greek life, there are a lot that are more interesting and important. I couldn't write six pages on Senior sendoff if you paid me too. Not to mention that it totally varies from chapter to chapter and isn't official in any way. Weird.

Anyway, hopefully she's just kinda young. Alphafrog, she hasn't been crazy or rude yet or tried to stir up anything, let's at least try to play somewhat nicely.

AlexMack 01-05-2007 04:26 PM

We put ours in a viking boat, lit it on fire and floated it off into the ocean...oh wait...

Drolefille 01-05-2007 05:03 PM

On the serious side, we did a senior night where everyone was voted Most Likely to ______ or Best ____ something funny/fitting for each senior. Sometimes littles would give speeches but my year we had a much-missed pledge class member who had to leave school (went alumna) during our sophomore year come back and roast us. WE loved it, I bet the freshmen had NO clue what was going on.

Sock Puppet2 01-06-2007 04:58 PM

Some wonder why Greeks have an image problem...

blueangel 01-06-2007 08:56 PM

I went to one last spring. Our alumnae group attends so that we can show the graduating collegiates how they can continue to participate in Greek life after they leave college.

As someone else said, each of these send offs vary from chapter to chapter. The one I went to was called a "Strawberry Social." The alumnae bring chocolate covered strawberries (strawberries are one of our symbols) and other desserts. We explain to the seniors what opportunities are available in the alumnae chapter and invite them to affiliate with us.

Then, each graduating senior has an opportunity to tell the group what was most special to her about the fraternity. There are lots of laughs and tears during this time. The girls are given presents from both the collegiates and the alumnae.

This is an open event-- relatives who are not Zetas sometimes attend.

AXO Alum 01-08-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centaur532 (Post 1378922)
We put ours in a viking boat, lit it on fire and floated it off into the ocean...oh wait...

MGW, art thou discussing TEH cult business on the public boards?! :cool:

honeychile 01-09-2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centaur532 (Post 1378922)

ROTFL!

We had Senior Wills, which was a dinner followed by the Seniors "leaving" bequests to various sisters. Some of it was nice and some of it was nasty. I left something semi-nasty to someone that was more memorable by my saying it than by what it was.

Afterwards, the latest Alpha class would host a dessert to leave it on a "sweet note".