GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Mom Wanting To Rush (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246083)

Oklaw96 04-27-2019 06:49 PM

Mom Wanting To Rush

carnation 04-27-2019 07:04 PM

Do you think you'll have time for Greek life with 2 children? A sorority is unlikely to excuse you because you have to do child-related things.

33girl 04-27-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklaw96 (Post 2465787)
Please be respectful.

If that means “just tell me what I want to hear and only positive things” I’m sorry, but you have come to the wrong place.

SEC schools are extremely traditional and 19 year old sophomores often have a problem getting a bid. To say you have an uphill battle would be putting it mildly.

Oklaw96 04-27-2019 07:37 PM

To add, I am a legacy and have multiple references for most of the sororities there. With my class schedule, they will be with family, my boyfriend, or our sitter. Getting into medical school requires a lot of extracurricular activities and I am very passionate about some of these sororities philanthropies as I have either experienced it first hand or it correlates with what I want to do in medicine. For example, working with children who are fighting cancer.

Oklaw96 04-27-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2465790)
If that means “just tell me what I want to hear and only positive things” I’m sorry, but you have come to the wrong place.

SEC schools are extremely traditional and 19 year old sophomores often have a problem getting a bid. To say you have an uphill battle would be putting it mildly.

Not at all! I definitely am coming into this with an open mind. I am a legacy for two specific ones and I have references for about 8 of the 12 sororities they have there. Do you think that could be beneficial? I am very passionate about some of the philanthropies and would be very thankful to contribute to charity work and the volunteering that goes on.

AZTheta 04-27-2019 07:52 PM

You asking for advice?

Not sure of your intentions, because it sounds like you’re looking to bump your resume for med school applications. That’s how it comes across to me.

I’m skeptical. Tattoos, divorced, a 4.0, two kids. Not a lot that you’re bringing to the SEC sorority table, but you already know that, correct?

Oh, when you post on an Internet forum, you can’t tell people how to respond. Go ask on reddit ( if you haven’t already). FWIW your legacy status and recommendations are something that multiple PNMs also bring to SEC recruitment. Again, you knew that already, right?

Oklaw96 04-27-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2465796)
You asking for advice?

Not sure of your intentions, because it sounds like you’re looking to bump your resume for med school applications. That’s how it comes across to me.

I’m skeptical. Tattoos, divorced, a 4.0, two kids. Not a lot that you’re bringing to the SEC sorority table, but you already know that, correct?

Oh, when you post on an Internet forum, you can’t tell people how to respond. Go ask on reddit ( if you haven’t already). FWIW your legacy status and recommendations are something that multiple PNMs also bring to SEC recruitment. Again, you knew that already, right?

Divorced due to domestic violence unfortunately. I also am new to the area so I would appreciate making lifelong friendships. Thank you for being super honest!!!

AZTheta 04-27-2019 08:14 PM

Look, First Corinthians 13 comes to mind. “Put away childish things” to be specific. Come on. You have two children. Where are your priorities? You can get involved in philanthropy without being in a sorority. Ditto for making lifelong friendships.

What exactly are you trying to do here? You know you have nothing in common with the vast majority of PNMs (or actives) at any SEC school and you don’t need Greek letters for med school.

Okay I am done. Good luck, and I write that sincerely.

Oklaw96 04-27-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2465798)
Look, First Corinthians 13 comes to mind. “Put away childish things” to be specific. Come on. You have two children. Where are your priorities? You can get involved in philanthropy without being in a sorority. Ditto for making lifelong friendships.

What exactly are you trying to do here? You know you have nothing in common with the vast majority of PNMs (or actives) at any SEC school and you don’t need Greek letters for med school.

Okay I am done. Good luck, and I write that sincerely.

I know a few girls that are married and have children that are in chapters at an SEC school. Plus, there is huge family pressure to follow a tradition. There is a big part of me that wants to try because that's just who I am. Again, thank you. I really like your honesty.

NYCMS 04-27-2019 09:08 PM

I agree with everything already written and have one other thought for the OP:

What will the members have in common with you? You're divorced, have kids, and are older than the average pledge or member. Even if you were single, I'd say your odds of getting a bid at 23 were very low because there's not a lot in common between 18-22 year olds and a 23 year old, especially when you've experienced so much more life than they've even started to live.

You say you want to make life-long friends - those come from spending hours with your sisters, partly during activities and partly from hanging out. Are you aware of the time demands a sorority puts on its members? It is enormous and requires night-time and weekend commitments...so I'm truly curious how you will juggle that along with classes and family.

thetalady 04-27-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklaw96 (Post 2465799)
I know a few girls that are married and have children that are in chapters at an SEC school. Plus, there is huge family pressure to follow a tradition. There is a big part of me that wants to try because that's just who I am. Again, thank you. I really like your honesty.

Married women with kids as actives in SEC chapters? I don't think so.

I am not going to blow any sunshine up your lab coat. I will answer assuming that this is not a troll. The sorority ship has sailed. Your plate is full already.

There are plenty of extra-curricular activities on every SEC campus to keep you busy that do not require attending mixers and swaps with fraternities, working all night on homecoming floats and attending numerous required meetings and events. You have more important things to do with your time, like raising your children. Whatever free time you have should be devoted to them.

Sororitysock 04-28-2019 03:02 AM

I'm pretty sure this is a troll post, but I'll be frank just in case. It's not going to happen for you. Recommendations for each sorority at your school are basic requirements. They will not make you stand out. Everyone has them. Legacies abound; some chapters have enough legacies to fill an entire pledge class. This is a school with a very traditional Greek life and where prior connections are everything when it comes to receiving a bid.

But ask yourself, why in the world would you want to be hanging out with 18 and 19 year old single childless young women whose biggest concerns are schoolwork and who their formal date will be? What would you do if you have two babies home with chicken pox and need to be at a mandatory sorority event and have a major exam that week? I find it hard to believe that adults in your family would put pressure on you to join a sorority when you have so many far more important commitments in your young life.

A sorority isn't going to pad your resume for medical school admission. It's insulting that you'd even say that's a reason you want to join. There are literally dozens of other campus organizations that will require far less time and commitment, but will further your interest in medicine. Get involved with some of them.

Good luck to you in your studies and with your family.

Titchou 04-28-2019 07:57 AM

All these questions and another- what about the live in requirement? How are you going to live in the house with children, etc? And I have to say also that your wanting to be in a sorority to pad your resume is extremely insulting. Also the members of those 12 groups check this website and you will definitely be on many a "no" list a a result.

Titchou 04-28-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklaw96 (Post 2465787)
Hi, everyone!

I am transferring to an SEC school this fall as a sophomore. I am 23 and started late because I got married and had my two children. I am no longer married but the college I will be attending, I do have family close by. I am also worried because none of the girls I've seen have visible tattoos but I do.... I have 3 on my arm, nothing inappropriate or grungy and can be covered easily.
I am a pre med student and I currently have a 4.0. I am new to this area as well and would love to meet a lot of new friends. I am extremely outgoing.
Any advice would be appreciated.

QFP

FSUZeta 04-28-2019 08:38 AM

I call foul on the several active members who are married with children at SEC schools. Many sororities have a requirement that their active collegiate members be single. If a member marries before graduating (and is in good standing) she is usually granted alumna status.

There will be myriad campus professional orgs and other career oriented orgs that will enhance your resume'. These orgs will not care that you are older, tattooed,divorced, and a mom. These orgs will not require large chunks of time-work week, rush week, initiation week, etc. There will most likely be some atypical students such as yourself who are members in the pro and career orgs. You will have much more in common with them than you would with 18 year old pledges. And philanthropic work that closely aligns with your career plans will be more helpful for you.

ASTalumna06 04-28-2019 10:46 AM

If you were at a non-SEC school where Greek life isn't as prevalent on campus, you might have a chance. The time commitment would be less and with no requirement to live in the house - if there even is a house - you could be at home with your kids without needing an exception. A smaller chapter with some other non-traditional students would potentially welcome you with open arms.

But SEC? That's a different animal. If you go through recruitment, I wish you luck, but I would be shocked if you received a bid. I'd be even more surprised if you could juggle your personal life, professional life, student life, and sorority life all at the same time.

As others here have said, there are many other organizations on campus with less of a time commitment that will actually boost your resume and help you in your pursuit of a medical degree. I would urge you to look into those instead.

carnation 04-28-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklaw96 (Post 2465794)
To add, I am a legacy and have multiple references for most of the sororities there. With my class schedule, they will be with family, my boyfriend, or our sitter. Getting into medical school requires a lot of extracurricular activities and I am very passionate about some of these sororities philanthropies as I have either experienced it first hand or it correlates with what I want to do in medicine. For example, working with children who are fighting cancer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklaw96 (Post 2465795)
Not at all! I definitely am coming into this with an open mind. I am a legacy for two specific ones and I have references for about 8 of the 12 sororities they have there. Do you think that could be beneficial? I am very passionate about some of the philanthropies and would be very thankful to contribute to charity work and the volunteering that goes on.

QFP

FSUZeta 04-28-2019 06:15 PM

I have been mulling over the info you shared about being a legacy to two sororities. It would seem to me that your relatives would have told you that your chances of receiving a bid were little to none.

amIblue? 04-28-2019 08:27 PM

Coming out from lurking just to say.

Lololololololololololol.

I enjoyed the trolling, though.

thetalady 04-28-2019 08:42 PM

THANK YOU< CARNATION!!!!

celebcj 04-29-2019 10:18 AM

what about Junior League? I am a sorority alumna, but found a similar sisterhood aspect and philanthropy by joining my local Junior League chapter.

You may not have the ritual aspect, but there's a reason Junior League was coined "post-grad sorority" in my area.

aephi alum 04-29-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2465822)
I have been mulling over the info you shared about being a legacy to two sororities. It would seem to me that your relatives would have told you that your chances of receiving a bid were little to none.

It could be that the OP's relatives went to schools where recruitment is far less competitive than at SEC schools. Heck, my chapter bid a senior once - think that'd happen at an SEC school?

Anyway, to the OP: From what I know of SEC recruitment, I'd say your chances are between slim and none, and Slim just left town. You're a sophomore (strike one) and 23 (strike two). As soon as the sisters find out you have two little children (and they will), you're outta there.

As a 23-year-old, would you really feel comfortable answering to an executive board made up of 19/20/21 year olds? For example, during recruitment, the recruitment chair is basically God - she says jump, you say how high.

Also, pre-med is a pretty tough major which will require a lot of time and energy. Children also require a lot of time and energy, especially if you're a single mom. They should be your top priorities. Being in a sorority is also a big time commitment, with mandatory chapter meetings, mandatory new member meetings while you're a NM, mandatory attendance at all work week and recruitment events, etc.

There are plenty of other activities you can get involved with, but I'm afraid the sorority ship has sailed.

33girl 04-29-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2465850)
It could be that the OP's relatives went to schools where recruitment is far less competitive than at SEC schools. Heck, my chapter bid a senior once - think that'd happen at an SEC school?

The part about “huge pressure to follow a family tradition” throws a wrench into that concept.

aephi alum 04-29-2019 10:43 PM

^ I didn't see the original post, only Titchou's QFP - was it incomplete?

It's still not impossible. You could have a mom who joined XYZ at Tiny Northeast U. where rush is not very competitive, who has a daughter who is going to an SEC school, and mom wants her daughter to have a great sorority experience like she did, so she puts a lot of pressure on her to rush, but she genuinely has no clue that SEC rush tends to be super competitive. Unlikely, but not impossible.

thetalady 04-29-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2465854)
^ I didn't see the original post, only Titchou's QFP - was it incomplete?

Thanks to Carnation, the story is here complete through QFPs :)

NYCMS 04-30-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2465854)
It's still not impossible. You could have a mom who joined XYZ at Tiny Northeast U. where rush is not very competitive, who has a daughter who is going to an SEC school, and mom wants her daughter to have a great sorority experience like she did, so she puts a lot of pressure on her to rush, but she genuinely has no clue that SEC rush tends to be super competitive. Unlikely, but not impossible.

True but I can't imagine any mom thinking that a single mom with kids and studying pre-med would remotely have any time for membership even if things were way different back in the day, hence I can't imagine the pressure. Perhaps the pressure came before the daughter married/had kids, i.e., when she was a high school senior so the daughter might still feel like she needs to "deliver" on her mom's wishes.

sigmagirl2000 04-30-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2465850)

Anyway, to the OP: From what I know of SEC recruitment, I'd say your chances are between slim and none, and Slim just left town. You're a sophomore (strike one) and 23 (strike two). As soon as the sisters find out you have two little children (and they will), you're outta there.

As a 23-year-old, would you really feel comfortable answering to an executive board made up of 19/20/21 year olds? For example, during recruitment, the recruitment chair is basically God - she says jump, you say how high.

Also, pre-med is a pretty tough major which will require a lot of time and energy. Children also require a lot of time and energy, especially if you're a single mom. They should be your top priorities. Being in a sorority is also a big time commitment, with mandatory chapter meetings, mandatory new member meetings while you're a NM, mandatory attendance at all work week and recruitment events, etc.

There are plenty of other activities you can get involved with, but I'm afraid the sorority ship has sailed.

Lol.... picking apart one piece of this response for local LOLs..... was the senior you bid almost 18 years old? hahahahah Oh, MIT.

aephi alum 04-30-2019 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 (Post 2465879)
Lol.... picking apart one piece of this response for local LOLs..... was the senior you bid almost 18 years old? hahahahah Oh, MIT.

That's so funny I forgot to laugh. :rolleyes:

Not that it's any of your business, but she was 20, she was impressive, we liked her, and we were under total so there was nothing preventing us from offering her a bid.

ASTalumna06 05-01-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2465881)
That's so funny I forgot to laugh. :rolleyes:

Not that it's any of your business, but she was 20, she was impressive, we liked her, and we were under total so there was nothing preventing us from offering her a bid.

My chapter has also offered two bids to seniors (that I know of). One lived in an apartment with three sisters, and she was friends with basically the entire chapter, we were under total, so why not? The other was also good friends with a handful of the sisters and emphasized how much she wanted to stay involved after graduation. She ultimately helped found our Erie PA alumnae chapter.

It happens.

ZTA72 05-01-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

At age 23, our girls were attending med school. They had accomplished all of the activities, research, teaching under grads, etc. Some of this was due to their sorority membership. However, most of this involvement was not. I would not recommend rush for you at your age and stage...saying this in the most respectful way.
Best of luck.

PhilTau 05-02-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

If not a troll -- I am trying to imagine how a medical school admissions board would view your taking away time from your young children to spend socializing with 19 year-olds. How do you think they would react?

Instead, I suggest that you spend the time with your kids and spend your money on a good MCAT review course, if you are really serious about medical school.

Sciencewoman 05-02-2019 06:19 PM

My sister and her husband are both doctors and they both served on the exec boards of their Big 10/SEC Greek organizations in college. I've never once heard them say anything about their membership playing any role whatsoever in the medical school admissions process. Join a science-related honor society, volunteer at a hospital, study for the MCAT, etc.

The only connection my sister has ever mentioned is that residency matching is EXACTLY like bid matching...you list your ranked choices, the hospitals submit their ranked lists, there's a computerized ranking and matching system, and you are informed where you're placed. I guess the only difference is that no one drops because they "didn't like their hospital/house" so they'll try again next year for better results. By that age, people have learned that doesn't work.

FSUZeta 05-02-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2465915)
I guess the only difference is that no one drops because they "didn't like their hospital/house" so they'll try again next year for better results. By that age, people have learned that doesn't work.

Ewwwwww-I keep trying to drop Mercy Hospital, but they keep showing up on my list! I hate them!

33girl 05-02-2019 07:48 PM

The nurses and doctors at New York General were all really nice, but their scrubs were ugly and the protocol they used was LAME!

thetalady 05-02-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2465916)
Ewwwwww-I keep trying to drop Mercy Hospital, but they keep showing up on my list! I hate them!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

naraht 05-03-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2465918)
The nurses and doctors at New York General were all really nice, but their scrubs were ugly and the protocol they used was LAME!

And worst of all, their philanthropy was helping sick people and that's just icky!

ZTA72 05-03-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2465915)
My sister and her husband are both doctors and they both served on the exec boards of their Big 10/SEC Greek organizations in college. I've never once heard them say anything about their membership playing any role whatsoever in the medical school admissions process. Join a science-related honor society, volunteer at a hospital, study for the MCAT, etc.

The only connection my sister has ever mentioned is that residency matching is EXACTLY like bid matching...you list your ranked choices, the hospitals submit their ranked lists, there's a computerized ranking and matching system, and you are informed where you're placed. I guess the only difference is that no one drops because they "didn't like their hospital/house" so they'll try again next year for better results. By that age, people have learned that doesn't work.

THIS. Is exactly right. When my Son in law asked me if I understood the Match process, I said yes, it is just like sorority recruitment. He then asked me to explain it to his non Greek mother. Not certain that she ever got it, she wanted her son and my daughter to go to a particular place in Florida which they had little interest in for their specialties.

They prevailed, couples matched to their first choice in another state. Match Day is like Bid Day on steroids!

Sciencewoman 05-04-2019 10:59 AM

You all crack me up!

Titchou 05-04-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZTA72 (Post 2465928)
THIS. Is exactly right. When my Son in law asked me if I understood the Match process, I said yes, it is just like sorority recruitment. He then asked me to explain it to his non Greek mother. Not certain that she ever got it, she wanted her son and my daughter to go to a particular place in Florida which they had little interest in for their specialties.

They prevailed, couples matched to their first choice in another state. Match Day is like Bid Day on steroids!

So,so true!

Sciencewoman 05-05-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2465916)

Not to mention, they have a religious affiliation that differs from my own, so obviously this would be a bad fit.