GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   "I'm rushing 'for' a certain chapter" (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=134607)

MaggieXi 05-30-2013 11:18 AM

Hijak: My one year old was watching Barney the other day. The episode talked about how everyone should get a trophy, even if you loose. This is where this stuff starts. The TV was promptly shut off. Barney is now banned (and so is Calliou, but that is for different reasons).

Sciencewoman 05-30-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2219000)
Yep, if I was applying to competitive schools I certainly wouldn't say what my first choice was or be buying their stuff online, as I would look like a jackass if what I wanted did not occur. I think ASTalumna06 hit the nail on the head when she said many of these kids have NEVER been told "no, you can't have that" or "no, that prize is only for the people who do the best job." Time to learn.

We have a merit scholarship competition at the university where I teach. Accepted "top" HS seniors come with their parents for a Saturday, where the kids interview, write an essay, the families have a tour, presentation, etc. You would not believe how common it is for parents to wear hats, shirts, etc. with another university's logo/name. I don't care if you're an alum of that school -- DON'T wear "the competition's" logo when you're asking us to give your child a huge scholarship! Interestingly, the kids never do this.

DeltaBetaBaby 05-30-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2219000)
Yep, if I was applying to competitive schools I certainly wouldn't say what my first choice was or be buying their stuff online, as I would look like a jackass if what I wanted did not occur. I think ASTalumna06 hit the nail on the head when she said many of these kids have NEVER been told "no, you can't have that" or "no, that prize is only for the people who do the best job." Time to learn.

My mom even cautioned me about being seen too often over the summer with the XYZ's, because word would get around.

honeychile 05-30-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieXi (Post 2219002)
Hijak: My one year old was watching Barney the other day. The episode talked about how everyone should get a trophy, even if you loose. This is where this stuff starts. The TV was promptly shut off. Barney is now banned (and so is Calliou, but that is for different reasons).

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I agree. This whole "there are no losers, only winners" attitude needs to change to learning to be a gracious loser at times. Not everyone excels at everything.

carnation 05-30-2013 11:46 AM

I'm embarrassed for the clueless ones who spread their desired chapters' names around the Internet, especially if there's nooo way they're going to end up there. Some of the clueless ones will remove everything like that from their social media and stop trumpeting it around town if someone sits down with them and enlightens them about discretion. (This is in the category of the Pocahontas song line about "things you never knew you never knew".)

It's tons worse when girls know it's ill-bred to do that and keep it up, especially when they do it because they're sure they deserve certain chapters only.

SydneyK 05-30-2013 11:58 AM

Continuing your hijack, Maggie...
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieXi (Post 2219002)

I hear ya. Calliou was banned in our house because of the incessant whining. Barney was banned for a reason similar to what you posted. And SpongeBob is banned because the characters' voices grate on my nerves like sandpaper.

As for this hijack...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2219003)
You would not believe how common it is for parents to wear hats, shirts, etc. with another university's logo/name. I don't care if you're an alum of that school -- DON'T wear "the competition's" logo when you're asking us to give your child a huge scholarship! Interestingly, the kids never do this.

I'd say that most of these parents actually ARE alum of the school, which would be why the kids aren't doing it (since the kids aren't alum of any school yet). I guess I can see what you're saying, but I don't think it would bother me if I were in your shoes. Perhaps instead of viewing it as the parents supporting "the competition", you could look at it as interviewing kids who were raised in a home where institutional loyalty (and probably financial gifting) is commonplace. I know that if I were hand-picking students for a scholarship, I would prefer to help a student who I think will support the university after they've left.

lake 05-30-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low C Sharp (Post 2219008)
I feel the same way about colors/mascot etc. and choosing a university, but we all know it happens all the time. Ditto choosing based on legacy.

Not to hijack this thread, but I would LOVE to hear stories of this actually happening. That's almost as intriguing (and baffling) to me as someone who transfers schools because they didn't get the sorority they wanted at their original school. Crazy!

MaryPoppins 05-30-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2219007)
ill-bred

You are my people! Is it possible we are cousins? Related to anyone in the Delta?

pshsx1 05-30-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWTXBelle (Post 2218980)
Fraternity rush is COMPLETELY different. Completely. Announcing you were only interested in one fraternity is not on a par with announcing you are only interested in certain sororities. As you point out, you were able to participate in a far more informal and unstructured recruitment. The way sorority recruitment works punishes pnms who are ignorant or foolish in a way fraternity recruitment does not.

FWIW, I know that fraternity recruitment is way different than formal sorority recruitment. Keep in mind, though, there are plenty of schools, like my own, where formal recruitment does not exist which is why I still use the term "Rush." Also, a random PNM who stumbled on this board may have absolutely no idea that there is a difference.

Also, to elaborate, I told an NPHC org that I was rushing SigEp. So, had I not gotten a bid from SPE, I instantly ruined some of my chances.

But nonetheless, my post was not at all in regards to how mush "easier" or different fraternity recruitment is or anything along those lines. I was just pointing out that the posts calling PNMs stupid were uncalled for. Ignorant? Sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge (Post 2218999)
Your point, which was not lost on me, is that sometimes people just don't know. That doesn't make them stupid.

You point was anywhere near about the differences between fraternity and sorority recruitment because you already stated that what you said and did was taboo on your campus.

People read what they feel like reading. smh

Thank you.

-----------------

Can we also all think for a minute how many of us on GC didn't EVER plan on going Greek? Or how many people didn't even know about Greek Life? And how many people don't have Greeks in their families?

That's how PNMs make "dumb" mistakes. I promise you, a lot of girls (and guys) just don't know.

MaryPoppins 05-30-2013 12:47 PM

Sorry, I just beg to differ. SEC Recruitment = Mordor. You need a posse, and you need one before you even contemplate SEC Recruitment. That info is all over the web, and your local alumnae panhellenic. Of course a clueless PNM might have as her primary source of information that site "which shall not be named," or some other silly similar craptastic site. If she is that naive, she won't make it to second round, just like Sean Bean doesn't make the second reel in most movies or series.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...ymloo2_500.jpg

I may be a Southerner but I'm also a secret geek Southerner.

WCsweet<3 05-30-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshsx1 (Post 2219016)

Can we also all think for a minute how many of us on GC didn't EVER plan on going Greek? Or how many people didn't even know about Greek Life? And how many people don't have Greeks in their families?

That's how PNMs make "dumb" mistakes. I promise you, a lot of girls (and guys) just don't know.

Part of it is common sense. I came from a background of very little information about sororities and recruitment in general. The only greeks in my family had passed away before I was ten and I didn't know they were greek. I didn't understand how recruitment worked. My first recruitment was deferred so I had seen some sorority women around campus and knew groups I was partial to or was less interested in. However, I didn't blast that around. I even had both a facebook and myspace to blast it, but didn't. I don't think my friends did either, at least they didn't do it in front of me. They could have said things I suppose.
It just seems obvious to me, even though I come from that background.

Old_Row 05-30-2013 01:25 PM

Well I think most of them are stupid because they know better than to tell sorority members directly to their faces during recruitment but still put it all over Facebook and twitter and tumblr like no one else is watching and the sorority members will never know.

A PNM from the other side of the USA has no idea where she will fit in before she gets there except based on dumb gossip on the Internet. If you go to a nearby school and know a lot of members in houses then you may have an idea of where you might fit in best but that's a totally different situation. PNMs in all situations need to not be all up on the Internet or talking to people in real life about the only houses they want because things can go very wrong and it is also rude to all the houses! We have eyes and ears and we find out what you are doing and that can end up not very pretty for your recruitment!!!!!

adpiucf 05-30-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Row (Post 2219021)
We have eyes and ears and we find out what you are doing and that can end up not very pretty for your recruitment!!!!!

More and more, sororities sound like the mafia: "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it.

:cool:

MaryPoppins 05-30-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adpiucf (Post 2219024)
More and more, sororities sound like the mafia: "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it.

:cool:

omerta
a code of silence practiced by the Mafia; a refusal to give evidence [to the police about criminal activities.]

justgo_withit 05-30-2013 01:59 PM

(slight hijack)

"I keep cutting XYZ but they're still on my schedule!!!"

THAT'S BECAUSE THE CHAPTERS YOU RANKED HIGHER DIDN'T INVITE YOU BACK.
WHEN YOU SAY THIS YOU'RE SAYING "THE CHAPTERS I WANTED DIDN'T INVITE ME BACK" NO ONE IS IMPRESSED

Biggest pet peeve.