GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

MaryPoppins 10-07-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldOleMiss (Post 2244815)
OH. SHUT. UP!!!!!!! OMG-- I have to agree with thetalady- this is waaaay better than the mom falling out of the tree!!!!! and I am actually more mortified for the poor daughter than I am the mother....

Most definitely. Poor little lamb. That mom must be living through her daughter.

KDCat 10-07-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2244761)
OMG that is hilarious!!! I think this beats the mom falling out of the tree! :D

Definitely. Tree Mom was just dying to know the result. Fake PNM Mom is actually going to parties with her daughter. She is raising helicopter mom to a whole new level.

maconmagnolia 10-07-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryPoppins (Post 2244757)
An Ole Miss Gamma Chi (Rush Counselors) reported that when she lined up her recruitment group at one house she had an "extra" PNM. When she confronted person, she said, "Excuse me but you're a mom, and you have to leave." Extra PNM said, "Oh no. I'm a PNM!" Then the Gamma Chi said, "If you're a PNM, then where is your Panhellenic Name Tag?" The sheepish mom left the line and beat a hasty retreat :D

Woah. Talk about being a helicopter parent!

AZTheta 10-07-2013 10:47 AM

I'm just hoping that HeliMom wasn't in the same group as her daughter. That she at least had the "sense" to crash a different group. I wish it was a made-up story.

ASTalumna06 10-07-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2244832)
I'm just hoping that HeliMom wasn't in the same group as her daughter. That she at least had the "sense" to crash a different group. I wish it was a made-up story.

You have to wonder, though... if the mother tried to crash the daughter's group, did the daughter want her there? I've heard of crazier situations lately where "kids" are OK with their parents' helicopter-like actions.

amIblue? 10-07-2013 10:54 AM

People are crazy, y'all. I wonder what the mom thought she could accomplish.

maconmagnolia 10-07-2013 11:01 AM

I wonder if some of these helicopter moms never went through recruitment and/or were not Greek themselves and are living vicariously through their daughters?

I loved having my mom's support during rush - but I was perfectly fine with having it over the phone from three hours away.

thetalady 10-07-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2244832)

I would bet money that the Wannabe PNM Mom DID try to crash her daughter's group! Gotta love the idea of a mom who thought she could pass as an 18 yr old college girl :rolleyes:

carnation 10-07-2013 11:56 AM

Rolling here at the fake PNM story. I'd love to know if her daughter pledged and if mom has a record of doing pushy stuff. And when did she slip into the recruitment group?

Low D Flat 10-07-2013 12:14 PM

Wouldn't a RG be expected to know all of her PNMs' faces, regardless of name tags? This seems poorly thought out.

IUHoosiergirl88 10-07-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low D Flat (Post 2244858)
Wouldn't a RG be expected to know all of her PNMs' faces, regardless of name tags? This seems poorly thought out.

Not sure how Ole Miss does it, but at Indiana your 'walk around' RGs are different from your actual RG. So you'll end up with the RG that you rank with, but also have 2 RGs for 22 party, 2 RGs for 14 party, 2 RGs for 8 party, and 2 RGs for pref. And those aren't typically the same RGs...so plausible that they wouldn't know faces

WCsweet<3 10-07-2013 12:43 PM

Also not sure how Ole Miss does it, but at Oregon the rho gamma groups tour together on open houses and meet up to get schedules and rank. Aside from day one, the rho gammas are stationed at the chapter houses so they see the PNMs from all the groups instead of just their own. The rho gammas wouldn't necessarily know the names/faces of all the PNMs visiting the house where they are stationed. They are given a list of names to double check against the name tags of the PNMs.

What did the mother expect though? To see how recruitment is on the inside? How would that help her daughter?

MaryPoppins 10-07-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2244847)
Rolling here at the fake PNM story. I'd love to know if her daughter pledged and if mom has a record of doing pushy stuff. And when did she slip into the recruitment group?

I'll see what I can find out from the Gamma Chi, if I see her tonight.

OldOleMiss 10-07-2013 05:24 PM

I just keep thinking of that DISTURBING article that recently came out in WSJ (I think) about parents now accompanying their "children" on JOB INTERVIEWS and answering questions for them... Perhaps she thought she would just handle daughters rush conversations for her...

Seriously WTF.... (too both)

YES PLEASE try and find out MP... I need more laughter in my life :-)

ColdInCanada11 10-07-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryPoppins (Post 2244757)
An Ole Miss Gamma Chi (Rush Counselors) reported that when she lined up her recruitment group at one house she had an "extra" PNM. When she confronted person, she said, "Excuse me but you're a mom, and you have to leave." Extra PNM said, "Oh no. I'm a PNM!" Then the Gamma Chi said, "If you're a PNM, then where is your Panhellenic Name Tag?" The sheepish mom left the line and beat a hasty retreat :D

Can't stop laughing picturing this playing out