GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Risk Management - Hazing & etc. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   UTA Suspends all Greek Activities (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246029)

APhi2KD 04-03-2019 05:36 PM

UTA Suspends all Greek Activities

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/UT...lowFB_DFWBrand

thetalady 04-03-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APhi2KD (Post 2465372)

UT Arlington... not a hugely Greek campus.

Rod D 04-03-2019 05:44 PM

This is such BS. It's complete "guilt" by association and the media. From the article:

"The decision was based not on a single event but "due to concerns regarding the culture of the fraternal community both at UTA and nationally," he said."

What a crock.

Kevin 04-03-2019 06:09 PM

"and nationally"???

APhi2KD 04-03-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2465376)
"and nationally"???

Round up the usual suspects.

33girl 04-03-2019 07:27 PM

Wtf? So basically, no one actually did anything, but they think if they keep Greeks from having activities everything will be fine. I’m sure this will prevent all the bad behavior that happens in dorms, off campus apartments and athletic houses.

GreekOne 04-03-2019 08:09 PM

Are these numbers correct? Anyone else think it is odd that they would have 31 chapters and only 800 members throughout the Greek community? Seems very low.

33girl 04-03-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekOne (Post 2465385)
Are these numbers correct? Anyone else think it is odd that they would have 31 chapters and only 800 members throughout the Greek community? Seems very low.

They have 8 NPHC groups and 9 MGC groups. It’s doubtful that any of these chapters are very large. There are 4 NPC sororities and 10 NIC fraternities.

Cheerio 04-03-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2465380)
Wtf? So basically, no one actually did anything, but they think if they keep Greeks from having activities everything will be fine. I’m sure this will prevent all the bad behavior that happens in dorms, off campus apartments and athletic houses.

The UT-Arlington Fraternity and Sorority Life Chapter Conduct and Outcomes webpage admits that some 2018-19 groups did not meet appropriate standards of behavior. They also list groups found to have hazed during any of the past three years.

Probably because it's the last month of the semester, the university has taken initiative against its greek groups.

Have there been previous end-of-year greek traditions that somehow get out of hand on this campus, causing the university to now desire restraining the activities of their greeks?

Kevin 04-04-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheerio (Post 2465388)
The UT-Arlington Fraternity and Sorority Life Chapter Conduct and Outcomes webpage admits that some 2018-19 groups did not meet appropriate standards of behavior. They also list groups found to have hazed during any of the past three years.

Probably because it's the last month of the semester, the university has taken initiative against its greek groups.

Have there been previous end-of-year greek traditions that somehow get out of hand on this campus, causing the university to now desire restraining the activities of their greeks?

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but this is a violation of these students' civil rights. The school is telling them they can't wear letters on campus (1st Amendment says you can wear what you damn well please). School says events are forbidden and gatherings of 3 or more members are events (right to peaceably assemble). School is saying that non residents can't go to their respective fraternity houses. I'm wondering how in the hell the school thinks it has the right to regulate student conduct on private property?

Greek organizations need to start suing universities who do this bullshit. These schools need to be put in their place. They need to start operating within their lawful limits.

If Greek organizations stand by and allow this sort of behavior, it will become normalized.

sororanon 04-04-2019 04:43 PM

Times are changing. Greek life is dying.

33girl 04-04-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sororanon (Post 2465413)

Disagree. Changing isn’t dying. This apparently isn’t necessarily a school that can support national groups. That doesn’t mean no Greeks will exist.

carnation 04-04-2019 06:30 PM

Agree with 33!

Kevin 04-04-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sororanon (Post 2465413)

Not at all. While we do have to adjust to new realities, our memberships are just fine.

thetalady 04-04-2019 09:04 PM

My husband is an alum of one of the UTA fraternities and had some specifics. Apparently one of the fraternities (who I will leave nameless) recently had a party to announce their little sisters. At said party, one of the fraternity new members was forced to drink heavily and ended up in the hospital with a .5 BAC. That is very near death.

This was pretty much the final straw. Looks like UTA has been ignoring issues in the Greek community for a while.

Sexual Assault and Alcohol Abuse at UTA