GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   PNMs and "cutting" chapters. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=121739)

Titchou 06-06-2012 11:39 AM

I think that term (cutting) is a carryover from the past. we used to "cut"women, now we "release" them. They used to "cut" chapters but we called it "declined." Some things have just not caught up.

AXOrushadvisor 06-06-2012 03:24 PM

As stated earlier in this thread, I think it is all about education and how it is served up. I think there is a lot of confusion because these women are not told in detail how it works. Recruitment, for the most part, is still shrouded in mystery on BOTH sides. Every year we try to educate our women on what really happens but there are still all kinds of misconceptions and weird ideas that the Chapter gets about how recruitment invitation lists work.

The perfect PNM that has the perfect recruitment does get to "cut" chapters because every chapter is giving her an invite. These are the girls that are having perfect recruitments. The rest of the PNM's have to make decisions based on the invites they have received for that day. Like it has been said on here many times before "treat this day as the first day and these are the ONLY chapters on this campus" I think that is the best advice to give.

ComradesTrue 06-06-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor (Post 2150630)
The perfect PNM that has the perfect recruitment does get to "cut" chapters because every chapter is giving her an invite. These are the girls that are having perfect recruitments.

And these girls go on to be Rho Chis, just as members who didn't have the perfect rush do. Therefore, it is easy to see why the term "cutting" is used by some Rho Chis, even though we think that they have been better educated.

MaryPoppins 06-17-2012 11:15 AM

Bumping cause this is important information.

voLTAgeDEuce 06-17-2012 09:57 PM

I think this is an interesting thread and useful information for any ladies anticipating going through PanHel recruitment in the future. As a member of a LGLO I have always wondered who has ultimate control during recruitment, the chapter or the pnm? It seemed to me, from the outside looking in, that the chapter had the last word in who stays and who goes. How is it from a chapter perspective, what control does a pnm have during recruitment?

carnation 06-17-2012 10:16 PM

In a very selective school (like most SEC schools), the sororities (especially the strongest ones), wield the power.

KSUViolet06 06-18-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voLTAgeDEuce (Post 2153211)
I think this is an interesting thread and useful information for any ladies anticipating going through PanHel recruitment in the future. As a member of a LGLO I have always wondered who has ultimate control during recruitment, the chapter or the pnm? It seemed to me, from the outside looking in, that the chapter had the last word in who stays and who goes. How is it from a chapter perspective, what control does a pnm have during recruitment?

Funny you should ask that, there's a whole other sticky about it:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=127132

Splash 06-19-2012 03:00 PM

The PNM has the first choice of all the chapters who want her.

If every chapter wants her, she gets her first pick of all of them.
If only 2 chapters want her, she gets her pick of those two.

KSUViolet06 06-19-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2153635)

No. Not really.

justgo_withit 06-19-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 2153641)
No. Not really.

Maybe I'm overstating what Splash said, but I thought that was how it worked? :confused: Example:

During the party rounds, Awesome PNM Alex gets invited back to many groups. Because more chapters want Alex than there are parties for that day, she goes back to the chapters she ranked higher (or regrets chapters, depending on the system).

Alex prefs at the maximum two chapters, and ends up on the first bid list of both. Where she ends up then depends on which one she ranked first after pref.

Or is that not what Splash said and I'm confusing myself?

OneHeartOneWay 06-19-2012 04:14 PM

Not to speak for KSU, but I *think* what she means is that there are different levels of "wanting." A chapter might want Awesome Alex, but want the other 99 women on their Bid List more. Even though Awesome Alex puts them first, they fill before getting to her so she matches with the other chapter who has her on their first Bid List. If that's not what KSU meant, then it's just me saying that! :)

But, yes, in the scenario you put out where Awesome Alex is on the first bid list of both chapters, then Awesome Alex is picking from the chapters that want her.

KSUViolet06 06-19-2012 04:32 PM

^^^That's true.

I was just more reiterating that it's not always true that you'll wind up with "first" pick.

There are some 1:1 matches in recruitment bid matching, and that's great. It was more to point out that that's not going to happen for everyone. Her statement was a little too "blanket" and I wouldn't want a PNM to mistake it for something that always happens.

justgo_withit 06-19-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneHeartOneWay (Post 2153657)
Not to speak for KSU, but I *think* what she means is that there are different levels of "wanting." A chapter might want Awesome Alex, but want the other 99 women on their Bid List more. Even though Awesome Alex puts them first, they fill before getting to her so she matches with the other chapter who has her on their first Bid List. If that's not what KSU meant, then it's just me saying that! :)

But, yes, in the scenario you put out where Awesome Alex is on the first bid list of both chapters, then Awesome Alex is picking from the chapters that want her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 2153659)
^^^That's true.

I was just more reiterating that it's not always true that you'll wind up with "first" pick.

There are some 1:1 matches in recruitment bid matching, and that's great. It was more to point out that that's not going to happen for everyone. Her statement was a little too "blanket" and I wouldn't want a PNM to mistake it for something that always happens.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Greek_or_Geek? 06-19-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

No. At preference round it will all depend on where she appears on each chapter's bid list. She can choose XYZ as her number one all she wants, but if she's at the bottom of their bid list and matches with one of the other chapters she preffed, that's where she ends up ... or if she isn't high enough on anyone's list and the school doesn't guarantee placement, she will go bidless.

Splash 06-19-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 2153641)
No. Not really.

Yes, really. ;)

If during the days leading up to pref, the amount of parties she can go to is more than the chapters who choose to invite her back, she gets her pick, which is exactly what I said. She gets her first pick of the chapters who want her.

During pref, if the chapters want her so that they are sure to get her, they put her in a position that if she ranks them first, there is a match, which is exactly what I said. If both preference chapters want her for sure, she gets her pick.

It's mutual in that the PNM gets her pick first after the sororities get theirs, which is exactly what I said.