GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Lily Tomlin's “Suzie Sorority” (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=148365)

TSteven 05-26-2015 07:50 PM

Lily Tomlin's “Suzie Sorority”

I wasn’t sure where to put this. But if Chuck Norris could post his story here, then why not Suzie Sorority?

The link is Lily Tomlin doing her character "Suzie Sorority". I remember seeing her do Suzie on TV but I have yet to find a video of it. This is from one of her albums ("The Best of Lily Tomlin") and it is about rush/membership selection and is quite funny. I played this (on vinyl no less) for sorority friends back in the late 1970s/early 1980s. I asked if this was how membership selection was like and they said (most with a tight smile) “pretty much”. Never knew if they were kidding or not. :p

ChioLu 05-27-2015 06:28 PM

Anyone know if Lily Tomlin was in a sorority when she attended Wayne State University?
She seems to know a lot about what happens during recruitment (in an over-the-top, comical way, of course).
NPC chapters at WSU:
Active chapters - DZ, KD, AGD
Closed chapters, but active when Lily Tomlin went to school there - AST, Phi Sig, SSS, ADPi, SK

honeychile 05-27-2015 07:48 PM

I've never heard, but I can only speak for ADPi.

Of course, I've only heard her whisper, "I'm Suzie Sorority from the Silent Majority, and if you can't hear me, I'll yell a little louder," bit.

ARKTTKA 05-28-2015 05:11 PM

I read her bio on her website and didn't see any mention of affiliation.

PiKA2001 05-30-2015 07:46 PM

I went to WSU and I've never heard anything about her being Greek. The Greek system there is extremely small considering the student population so I'm sure the org she belonged to would have promoted it.

Cheerio 05-31-2015 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2316636)
Anyone know if Lily Tomlin was in a sorority when she attended Wayne State University?
She seems to know a lot about what happens during recruitment (in an over-the-top, comical way, of course).
NPC chapters at WSU:
Active chapters - DZ, KD, AGD
Closed chapters, but active when Lily Tomlin went to school there - AST, Phi Sig, SSS, ADPi, SK

From IP's lovely list: Iota Alpha Pi, Pi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Sigma Alpha, and Delta Phi Epsilon were also available to Lily Tomlin.

In her official online bio Ms Tomlin mentions she "was a dismal student" in her university studies, which usually translates to not being accepted into a sorority. Perhaps she was only a pledge.

And it pays to have wonderful friends throughout a lifetime, from whom you can glean facets of lives you have not lived and then put them into your performances.

Sciencewoman 05-31-2015 05:21 PM

Did she graduate from WSU?

ASUADPi 06-06-2015 11:59 PM

OMG
That was seriously the FUNNIEST thing I've heard!!!!
Thank you for posting it.